PDA

View Full Version : I should slow down?

Charlie Two Tracks
04-21-2011, 09:12 PM
I just went out to the loading room. I thought that I had six Folgers cans of Boolits cast up. I found two more. Eight cans of boolits is going to last a very long time. Maybe I'll go through them and get real picky and be able to reduce that amount so I can cast up some more. I have a couple of hundered pounds of lead sitting around. Maybe I ought to not worry about how many are cast and keep going. For me, casting is very theraputic. There is just something about turning worthless, banged up, diry lead into shiney boolits. It just feels good. So if I never shoot them all up......... what's wrong with that? OK...... I feel better now. I might just get that pot fired up this weekend.[smilie=w:

garym1a2
04-21-2011, 09:22 PM
Its not you cast too much, you just need to shoot more.

R.M.
04-21-2011, 09:27 PM
If it really bothers you Charlie, you can always melt them down and re-cast them. :shock:

04-21-2011, 09:37 PM
I agree that casting is relaxing and enjoyable, and have re-cast a few thousand boolits.

I have a newly acquired mould that has been doing its upmost to test every casting technique I know, to get it to more easily drop its boolits. Fill out has been a bit problematic, too. It's been fun to fire up a pot and cast a few dozen, each time using a different method, all in an effort to prove that I won't let it beat me.

bigjake
04-21-2011, 09:55 PM
Lube em up and sell them at gun shows. Use the cash to buy more molds, different casting pots, reloading supplies or something totaly unrelated like some jewelry for your wife. She probably wont bother you about your casting anymore:D

selmerfan
04-21-2011, 09:59 PM
I've advanced in my casting enough now that what I considered acceptable a few years ago are now rejects. They're going back in the pot to cast for therapeutic casting...

onondaga
04-21-2011, 10:14 PM
This is a sign that you should get your blood tested for lead levels soon.

gary

Hamish
04-21-2011, 10:25 PM
This is a sign that you should check your range records to see if you've been shooting enough soon.

Besides that, have you filled *all* your cases? Do that and it will be apparent that you need to cast more!

Rich @(;^]#>:::

geargnasher
04-22-2011, 12:39 AM
Charley, I don't see a big difference between storing a few hundred pounds of lead or 50,000 boolits, do you? The boolits are there when you need them, minus the casting. Plus if they're already cast, you can lube them when the mood hits you, instead of it being a chore that you have to get through to be able to load them.

Some tips from Gear's Rules:

#7 Properly stored ammo doesn't spoil, increase your rent, or eat. So stock up.
#8 You can't shoot straight wheel weights, they have to be made into boolits first.

Gear

crabo
04-22-2011, 12:59 AM
I reorganized my boolit collection and containers. I realized I didn't have everything marked as well as I would like. I am working through about 50 pounds of straight WW boolits that I had previously cast and lubed.

I have started retesting every load that I shot before with AC and WD WWs, now in a 50/50 pure lead and WW mix. I needed to figure out how many of my previous cast WW boolits to add to the 3# lead ingot. I didn't have a scale that would weigh that, so I took a ziplock bag, poked a hole in it, added boolits to the bag.

I then hung the bag on my trigger weight scale, and add or subtract boolits until I match the weight of the ingot. This time around, I am doing a much better job of labeling my boolits.

mongo
04-22-2011, 01:29 AM
I melt down my boolits and re-cast them many times, But first I load em and shoot em all before re-casting

Charlie Two Tracks
04-22-2011, 06:58 AM
I do need to shoot more. Time.......... I have to get priorities in correct order. I just bought a thousand more .357 brass from Starline. When I first started casting, I thought that once you had a boolit fall out of the mold, that was it. So many things you can do with alloys, temperatures, loads, crimp, OAL, it goes on and on. It seems there is no end of learning to this hobby and I like that.

geargnasher
04-22-2011, 01:08 PM
I melt down my boolits and re-cast them many times, But first I load em and shoot em all before re-casting

Due to my trap backstops, I have some boolits that are on their third casting. Nice thing about salvaging and shooting my own is I know the composition and they don't need to be re-alloyed.

Gear

Jal5
04-22-2011, 01:13 PM
Charlie I appreciate your problem. I have spent way more time this winter casting and reloading than shooting. But with the spring weather upon us I plan to correct this ASAP, and I suggest you do the same!

bslim
04-22-2011, 05:21 PM
One of the biggest reasons I chose this hobby was that I could pick and choose what I wanted to do on any particular day. On some I cast, on others I load or prepare brass or smelt WW's or just take the time to go to the range and actually shoot some of the ammo I have built over the winter. 2 months ago,I started casting my own bullets and now I have a couple of 2 gallon pails full just waiting for my Star Sizer to arrive. I hope next week. This will be another learning experience. I am fortunate to have more than one hobby, but this one is at the top of the list.

Centaur 1
04-22-2011, 05:38 PM
I'm the same way, I think that I enjoy making boolits more than shooting them.

Wayne Smith
04-22-2011, 06:04 PM
I think I'm too OCD. My problem is that cartridge cases come in 50 or 100 units and my boolits don't! I always seem to be a few short or a few left over. I guess I'll just have to cast in the thousands at a time instead of hundreds! Won't notice it then.

casterofboolits
04-22-2011, 09:21 PM
No such thing as too many boolits. Use them for trade. I traded for a HiPower, a Tanfoglio 41AE IPSC model, and a 625-2. The 625-2 I traded for a Remington 1100.

NHlever
04-23-2011, 01:20 PM
I just went out to the loading room. I thought that I had six Folgers cans of Boolits cast up. I found two more. Eight cans of boolits is going to last a very long time. Maybe I'll go through them and get real picky and be able to reduce that amount so I can cast up some more. I have a couple of hundered pounds of lead sitting around. Maybe I ought to not worry about how many are cast and keep going. For me, casting is very theraputic. There is just something about turning worthless, banged up, diry lead into shiney boolits. It just feels good. So if I never shoot them all up......... what's wrong with that? OK...... I feel better now. I might just get that pot fired up this weekend.[smilie=w:

Charlie,
I've had kind of a rough winter, and I sure have cast a pile, or many piles of boolits. Casting is a great distraction, and helps me get to that "happy place" that can be hard to find at times. My only problem now if I want to melt them down again is that they are mostly sized, and lubed. That will create smoke, and I know that for sure. :D
Chuck
Vietnam 1966-1968

NHlever
04-23-2011, 01:21 PM

Charlie,
I've had kind of a rough winter, and I sure have cast a pile, or many piles of boolits. Casting is a great distraction, and helps me get to that "happy place" that can be hard to find at times. My only problem now if I want to melt them down again is that they are mostly sized, and lubed. That will create smoke, and I know that for sure. :D
Chuck
U.S. Army Vietnam 1966-1968