PDA

View Full Version : a simple observation

ss40_70
04-21-2011, 08:51 PM
last week i found federal large rifle match primers for the first time ever , and i thought i would give them a try .. the first thing i noticed was they all felt more consistant going into the pocket each and every one felt the same going in unlike the wlr primers i usualy use .. dont know if itll help acuracy any but it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling not bein worried about loose primer pockets any longer

Olevern
05-06-2011, 02:51 PM
I've used Fed. primers (although not match) pretty much interchangeably with cci in mid range loads for years with no problems. Haven't noticed any diff in dia.

BD
05-06-2011, 03:41 PM
I'm a big fan of the 210m primers.
BD

Southern Son
05-06-2011, 09:37 PM
I like both the Federal LR match and the CCI LR match in my 22/250 imp. and my Black Powder 45/70. With my 308 sporter, I use the Win LR (they are brass coloured down here, are they the same up there?) and you are right, the Match primers do seat more consistently (at least in my brass). At the target, the match primers do better with the 22/250 imp., but over the Chrono, the difference is only small.

gasboffer
05-07-2011, 11:16 AM
I'm having trouble finding large pistol primers here. Can I use large rifle primers in .45 ACP if I start with a reduced load?
I know small rifle and small pistol primers can be interchanged in the .22 Hornet, but haven't read anything about large primers being interchanged.
Clyde

beagle
05-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Large rifle primers are dimensionally different in heigth than Large Pistol primers and will usually protrude slightly.

Can you? Yes, I've done it and crushed them in but it's not recommended.

Also, LR primers tend to be "hotter" than LP so cut back on powder accordingly if you just have to load them./beagle

I'm having trouble finding large pistol primers here. Can I use large rifle primers in .45 ACP if I start with a reduced load?
I know small rifle and small pistol primers can be interchanged in the .22 Hornet, but haven't read anything about large primers being interchanged.
Clyde