PDA

View Full Version : 45colt load safe for Taurus Judge?

superior
04-21-2011, 07:54 PM
Hey fellas...I just handloaded some Lee 452-255-f's for my Ruger Blackhawk and wanted to know I'f the wife can fire them in her Judge. In my Hornady book, I used a starting load from the section for "modern revolvers made for high pressure". The load is 14 grains of Hs-6. Velocity should be somewhere in the 1100's. All responses appreciated!
Magtech cases
cci large pistol primers
Lube- lithium grease/ paraffin @ 50/50

Bula
04-21-2011, 08:15 PM
Sounds a little above standard pressure to me. I'd keep them right at 850'ish. My Taurus tracker likes that boolit over 8.5g of unique.

2ndAmendmentNut
04-21-2011, 08:32 PM
I personally would not shoot anything other than “standard” pressure 45colts in a Judge. The “Modern” revolvers meant to be indicated by your load manual are Blackhawks, Redhawks, Anacondas, Old Model Vaqueros, Winchester 92s, Marlin 94s, and any gun chambered for the 454. Modern made Colt single action and replicas, S&W625s, New Vaqueros, and toggle link action lever rifles are not meant to handle anything other then standard 45colt loads.

If a few of 45colt+P loads do get fired in your wife’s Judge it won’t be the end of the world, but it will wear out the gun pretty quick.

HammerMTB
04-21-2011, 09:33 PM
To me, this is one of the most dangerous situations you can allow in your collection.
I have a rule of guns I own:
No gun may be incapable of shooting a load I create. This way I don't load 45LC for one gun at the old SA level, and my RBH loaded at another level.
I don't load any 45-70 to a level that can damage any gun I shoot.
I don't load 38 Special to a level that any gun I own can't shoot.
you get my drift.
This way I never have to think, HMMM, which load is this? Sohuld I be prepared to lose my hand or eyesight to a load I made and put in thew wrong gun?
My solution would be to get rid of the Judge, but that's the way I think. yours may be different, but you might consider how you will deal with guns the same caliber but different load capacitys.

btroj
04-21-2011, 10:36 PM
I also would wonder how comfortable it would be to shoot a healthy load in one of those revolvers. I can't imagine it would be very fun.
Also, the judge is a very short range weapon to me so velocity isn't critical. A 45 makes a big hole at even low velocity but a lighter lad would sure allow for more practice.

geargnasher
04-22-2011, 12:19 AM
I also would wonder how comfortable it would be to shoot a healthy load in one of those revolvers. I can't imagine it would be very fun.
Also, the judge is a very short range weapon to me so velocity isn't critical. A 45 makes a big hole at even low velocity but a lighter lad would sure allow for more practice.

My thoughts exactly. If standard pressure .45 Colt loads can't get your self-defense needs done, you need to depend on a good 12-gauge.

250+ grains of lead traveling at 850-900 fps is a pretty serious edge over a .45 ACP, and I'll wager you wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of either one.

I have a friend who bought a little Taurus .357 snubby new (I forget the model) a few years ago and set about destroying it slowly with full-house 125-grain Winchester Silvertips. 500 rounds, back to the factory for a peened cylinder pin. Another 500 rounds, he repaired it himself. 500 more and the little pistol was so loose he had a gunsmith rebuild it and rebarrel it, fired a couple of boxes to good effect and now considers it trustworthy as a carry gun. NOT a practice pistol with full-house loads. The Judge isn't a workhorse like a Ruger, so don't ask a Burro to do a Clydsdale's job.

Gear

warf73
04-22-2011, 01:58 AM
Hey fellas...I just handloaded some Lee 452-255-f's for my Ruger Blackhawk and wanted to know I'f the wife can fire them in her Judge. In my Hornady book, I used a starting load from the section for "modern revolvers made for high pressure". The load is 14 grains of Hs-6. This load is 3+ grains over max charge for standard 45lc Velocity should be somewhere in the 1100's. All responses appreciated!
Magtech cases
cci large pistol primers
Lube- lithium grease/ paraffin @ 50/50

I would keep all my loads under 12.5k psi which is max for 410 bore accourding to saami. We know for a fact the judge can handle all 410 bore loads which is what the pistol was developed for. To be safe I wouldn't go beyond 12.5k psi, even tho the gun could probly handle it.

WHITETAIL
04-22-2011, 07:17 AM
+1 on do not load other than a standard load for the judge.:lovebooli

onesonek
04-22-2011, 08:38 AM
I have to agree with the other's on this,,if not dangerous, it will be certainly hard on the firearm. Then too, it would be a waste of ammunition!
I have 2 guns chambered in the 45-410, I use them for nothing but .410 loads. Having tried a few factory Colt loads in both just to see,,, accuracy beyond spitting distance is not worth shooting them.

superior
04-22-2011, 08:55 AM
Thanks, all! I didn't intend for her to try them, rather I was worried about what might happen if one found it's way into her pistol. She bought the judge for snakes on the ranch and shot is all that's passed through it. Mr. short shotgun is our home defense system. I hope I'm not beating my birthday present by shooting the load in the Blackhawk. I'm sure it can handle it, but I like to go easy on my stuff for the most part. I also made up some 452-300-rf's but haven't loaded them yet. I'm not sure they'll have a practical application here on the ranch. I'm thinking the 255'ers will suffice for whatever might cross my path. Thanks again, gentlemen!

btroj
04-22-2011, 08:59 AM
Your Blackhawk won't mind those a bit. Like someone else here said I prefer to not have loads around that can't be shot in a gun I own. Since you said the Judge will only see shotshells this shouldn't be a problem for you.

Blackhawk45hunter
04-22-2011, 04:42 PM
You're not letting your blackhawk live up to it's potential using bullets under 300 grains. It has a fairly fast twist (1 in 16") which favors heavier bullets. My blackhawk was an OK shooter with lighter bullets but is a tackdriver with the 325 Keith I now use.

That bullet over 21 grains H110 will hit a 4" gong at 100 yards every shot and will go clean through a moose.

Bwana
04-22-2011, 06:48 PM
Could be like the guy at my range who put five 460 S&W Mags in his Judge and managed to blow it to hell with the first shot. Harry, who runs the range, confirmed that there were four more 460's in the gun.
When I questioned whether you could even put them in the Judge he said they were there. It may have been an early production gun.
The shooter had a messed up hand; but, no one else was hurt.