PDA

View Full Version : Carnaubas were to get it?

warf73
12-14-2006, 07:10 AM
I'm looking for a good source of carnauba wax.
I can’t find any pure carnauba here locally or if its here I'm looking in the wrong places, or just don’t know what I have (most wax or polish bottles/can don’t say what’s in them)

I found a gallon of liquid carnauba wax on ebay but with shipping it’s just too much.

Anyone knows of a good place to get it that I just over looked.

I’ve checked these places so far:

Wal Mart
K-Mart
Auto Zone
O’Riels

The Carnauba I did find on Ebay is Eagle One brand, but the few places in town that does carry Eagle One don’t carry the carnauba wax.

I'll settle for past carnauba in the old can, I'm going to melt it anyway so doesn’t really matter.

I've looked at the back of over 20 different waxes polishes at the places mentioned above and most are synthetic, petroleum by product, or they don’t even say what in them.

Were do you guys get your carnauba at?

Thanks Warf

BABore
12-14-2006, 09:54 AM
http://www.thesage.com/catalog/FixedOil.html

Hippie Stores

looseprojectile
12-14-2006, 10:10 AM
I have heard on this forum that the wax found on Makers Mark whisky is carnuba wax.
I melted some in my last batch of boolit lube and though it seemed to melt more like plastic of some kind it didn't hurt it none. Also some have said the wax on some cheese is carnuba. :drinks:
Happy shooting

powderburnerr
12-14-2006, 11:41 AM
Mothers car wax is pure carnauba wax ... car joints have it..Dean

Dale53
12-14-2006, 11:55 AM
I have used "The Sage" as a source for Lanolin (Anhydrous) with complete satisfaction. You'll find that the larger amounts are less expensive and also represent a savings in shipping. You can do what I did, I shared the purchase with a friend so we both saved and yet neither ended up with more than we desired.

Just a thought...

Dale53

floodgate
12-14-2006, 01:21 PM
looseprojectile:

(And others looking for carnauba wax):

My wife makes cheese from our goat's milk, and gets her wax from Hoegger Supply Co., Fayetteville, GA. They have a "Help Line" at 770-461-5398, and can probably tell you what is in the wax - they say "specially formulated" - or possibly can refer you to a source of carnauba. I can't chase it down just now, so if anyone comes up with an answer, post it here for the rest of us.

floodgate

yodar
12-14-2006, 05:35 PM
I have heard on this forum that the wax found on Makers Mark whisky is carnuba wax.

I melted some in my last batch of boolit lube and though it seemed to melt more like plastic of some kind it didn't hurt it none. Also some have said the wax on some cheese is carnuba. :drinks:
Happy shooting

The thing on makers' mark might be carnauba wax I thought it was sealing wax...but it's more findable cheaper dispersed (dissolved?) in kerosene in a BIG Yellow can Called Johnsons Paste wax (for floors) works excellent on leather and shoes too.

However a fellow that sells Carnauba as flux (antimonyman.com) sells it flaked

And janitor supply stores are SUPPOSED to sell raw carnauba to make your own by shaving it (in your hash brown grater) and dissolving it in kerosene or as shavings Carnauba is an excellent flux..smells good too
Good luck
yodar

BruceB
12-14-2006, 06:33 PM
I just did a trial search on Ebay (www.ebay.com).

WHEN SPELLED CORRECTLY, as "carnauba", there were 50 hits for the wax.

WHEN SPELLED WRONGLY, as "carnuba", there were 15 hits.

Here's one more good example of why spellin' makes a 'difrance'.

Someone among those fifty suppliers will have a good deal for us.

warf73
12-18-2006, 04:29 AM
Thanks all for the responces.

Warf