PDA

View Full Version : RCBS makes dies for another co.

buck1
04-21-2011, 11:35 AM
I was watching a gun related tv show yesterday (I forgot the name).
It showcased RCBS and showed how they make presses and dies. They said RCBS Makes Dies for another reloading company that uses differnt colored boxes.
WHO COULD IT BE??

Cherokee
04-21-2011, 12:32 PM
I've seen that before (Shooting USA) and thought "who"....

Geraldo
04-21-2011, 12:52 PM
First, what color boxes? RCBS has dies in green and gray boxes.

But if they are making dies for another company that shouldn't surprise anyone. The name on the tools in your toolbox may not be the company that made them, and I guarantee you that not all of the current makers of 1911s are making frames, slides, internal parts.

wiljen
04-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Last I heard both Ruger and S&W were making golf club heads for a variety of companies because they have the investment casting setups. I suspect this is the same kind of situation, once you invest in the major hardware to do a job, it makes sense to make as many of as many different parts as the system can to leverage your investment.

Rocky Raab
04-21-2011, 01:15 PM
Ruger's metal casting company is (or was) called Pine Tree Casting. They did but no longer make golf clubs. Don't know about S&W.

RCBS makes dies for Huntington Die Specialties.

buck1
04-21-2011, 03:12 PM
There it is! I knew someone would know!! Thanks!!

Le Loup Solitaire
04-21-2011, 03:13 PM
Is it a coincidence that RCBS and Lyman's bullet sizers use the same top punches and sizer dies for many years now? It makes one wonder how much of the other loading related equipment on the market is made by who....and where? LLS

runfiverun
04-21-2011, 03:25 PM
most all electronic scales are made by pact.
i get a bit of a laugh when the rcbs and lyman electronic powder dumps are compared.
they have a couple of different features but the electronics are basically the same.
b.t.w i use the lyman dpms it's fast enough.

cbrick
04-21-2011, 06:41 PM
First, what color boxes? RCBS has dies in green and gray boxes.

And brown (tan) boxes. Their Cowboy dies.

Rick

Daywalker
04-21-2011, 07:02 PM
And brown (tan) boxes. Their Cowboy dies.

Rick

And Black, their AR series dies as well....

stubshaft
04-21-2011, 09:11 PM
I think that they are the ones producing Hornady Dies.

cheese1566
04-22-2011, 12:54 AM
Have you noticed the the Hornady 50BMG press is pretty identical to the RCBS single stage AmmoMaster?

Rocky Raab
04-22-2011, 12:08 PM
Hmmmmm.... all presses bolt to the bench, have a big threaded hole in the top and a handle. Must be only one maker, huh?

82nd airborne
04-22-2011, 12:23 PM
I think that they are the ones producing Hornady Dies.

I know at least some of the hornady dies are made in house, but then again, I know some of them are made by others too, so it may well be.

azcruiser
04-22-2011, 10:08 PM
Like with most other products the name on the box
or brand name is not always the name of the company that produced it. Same in the shooting sports that doesn't make dies RCBS just because they make them . What I'm trying to say is that RCBS may manufacture the die set but they manufacture it to another company's specification or dimensions nothing wrong with that .That saves money for the company having them made because they have a set cost and don't need to buy materials or machinery to manufacture their products /dies in this case .It makes RCBS able to buy larger orders of raw materials that saves them money and set up time by having larger runs on their machinery. Bottom line it saves the end user money .Most 45 1911 frames are made in the Philippines buy http://www.armscor.com.ph
but made to different specifications for different manufactures. Same with Italian shotguns since The Beretta company in (Brescia, Italy has the only casting foundry in that ares they cast the receivers for company like Perazzi Shotguns and a dozen or more others again to their specifications .

cheese1566
04-23-2011, 10:30 AM
:roll:
Not all, but these two!

Right down to the slot on the left for the AkroBin holder. Only difference is the front name plate on the base. RCBS is cast in, Hornady is the usual foil decal...

31729 31730

HARRYMPOPE
04-23-2011, 10:49 AM
i know RCBS now uses Chinese rough castings for their presses.I wonder if Hornady is doing the same?

those presses are twins.

HMP

Rocky Raab
04-23-2011, 10:52 AM
That one makes business sense, actually. There can't be enough 50 BMG shooters to support two press makers. Heck, there are hardly enough to support one!

ReloaderFred
04-23-2011, 11:11 AM
According to RCBS, their press castings are done in the U.S.

Hope this helps.

Fred

badgeredd
04-23-2011, 01:23 PM
According to RCBS, their press castings are done in the U.S.

Hope this helps.

Fred

That's exactly what I was told by a service rep less than 4 months ago. They DID try Asian casting for a few months but found the quality as unacceptable and brought the business back to the U.S.
I also pointedly asked about the molds and again was told they had tried overseas but were dissatisfied with the products.

Edd

cbrick
04-23-2011, 01:33 PM
RCBS rep admitted to me that the ChargeMaster is indeed made in China. He also admitted that he sincerely wished it wasn't.

Rick

azcruiser
04-23-2011, 02:46 PM
RCBS castings are cast in California DEL-MAR something was the name on the boxes of castings

Most electric scales are made by the same people and their not in Texas but CHINA

azcruiser
04-23-2011, 03:11 PM
Checked some photos I had boxes said Del Mar Industries, Inc. which operates out of Gardena, Ca., Cool part saw the same boxes at Dillon .So I would think that Del Mar place must do nice work

Char-Gar
04-23-2011, 05:24 PM
Ruger's metal casting company is (or was) called Pine Tree Casting. They did but no longer make golf clubs. Don't know about S&W.

RCBS makes dies for Huntington Die Specialties.

Huntington Die Specialties sell RCBS dies in standard and hard to find (special order) calibers. I don't think they sell dies under their own name. They are just another RCBS retailer.

IIRC Fred Huntington set this up when he sold RCBS. He wanted to continue to reloaders access to custom and special order RCBS dies.

Char-Gar
04-23-2011, 05:29 PM
A couple of years back Handloader Magazine did a big article on RCBS and the cover featured a bunch of rough cast RCBS presses, with the caption they were made in China. That seems to be the source of the persistent thinking that RCBS still uses Chinese casting.

buck1
04-23-2011, 05:44 PM
Here is a link to the program but the web sight dont say much. The pic shows dies getting heat treated........buck
http://www.shootingusa.com/SIGHTING_IN_SHOWS/29-08_RCBS/29-08_rcbs.html

azcruiser
04-24-2011, 01:36 AM
Since Huntington Die Specialties is right next door to Rcbs that would make seem right. Do a map quest view from space thing. Can't get any closer than that

cheese1566
04-24-2011, 09:09 AM
Odd thing about those two presses I mentioned with the pictures......

RCBS has been using that platform for quite a while with their AmmoMaster 1 & 2 progressive machines, and a single stage for any caliber and those using the large thread dies. Then Hornady came out a couple years back with the model for 50BMG.

Bradley
04-24-2011, 09:24 AM
:roll:
Not all, but these two!

Right down to the slot on the left for the AkroBin holder. Only difference is the front name plate on the base. RCBS is cast in, Hornady is the usual foil decal...

31729 31730

I know for a fact that RCBS makes both of these.