PDA

View Full Version : Browning BPS 10 Gauge Shotgun. Anyone here got one?

Just Duke
04-20-2011, 07:54 AM
Browning BPS 10 Gauge Shotgun. Anyone here got one?
Like it?
TIA,
Duke

Johnch
04-20-2011, 03:00 PM
The old Heavy or the newer Light ?

I had a older Heavy 28" tubed barrel
Loved it , But it was heavy if you had to lug it a ways

But with the cost of 10 gau steel for waterfowl hunting
Combined with the fact I reloaded 12 gau steel

I sold it

John

870TC
04-20-2011, 03:18 PM
I have a older one, love it. Switched to 10ga when we had to use steel for waterfowl. Got tired of carrying 4 boxes of 12ga. just to kill 3 or 4 ducks, ended up wounding alot of them and spending half the day chasing them around the lake trying to finish the job.
The newer steel loads are quite a bit better than the early stuff.

Harter66
04-20-2011, 04:18 PM
I can't vouch for the 10.

I've a 3" 12ga BPS 26"field special steel and 28"invevtor bbls .I bought it used nearly 20 years ago,at my last count id run around 15,000 rnds through it. Its killed about all the small game and birds I've pointed it at . Oh and a coyote,which looked pretty stupid with a mouth full of scoter decoy.

Marine Sgt 2111
04-20-2011, 04:31 PM
I have one and for ducks...it's sudden death not to mention geese. I have two barrels a 32" for waterfowling and a 26" for buckshot and everything else. When the Fed's switched to steel, I stopped duck hunting (I was using a model 12 3" mag). Now I'm back. I don't load steel yet, only buckshot but at the cost of shells, I will be loading steel for next fall.

My neighbor (who I duck hunt with) says it "cherries" them (the ducks) up. This means their bleeding when they hit the water.

Three44s
04-20-2011, 04:42 PM
My brother has one and loves it. A real sledge hammer for geese!

I like the gauge very much and have worked with a Double SXS 32" full choke. When we could get the permit ......... we air gunned coyotes and the "ten" is a sledge hammer there as well.

A Rottie thought one Easter Sunday made for a good day to practice tearing the faces off our cows ..... the Ten SXS proved him wrong broadside at nearly 100 yds with 4 buck. He rolled out DEAD!

If you want some of the best info and components for a Ten ........ give Ballistic Products a try .... I have loaded their components and they are MASTERS at the art of shotgun loading. Reading their literature at how they rave about the Ten .... you'd wonder if the other gauges even exist ....... LOL!

Three 44s

GSaltzman
04-20-2011, 04:52 PM
I've had one since they came out. We have alot of geese down here in Southwest Louisiana and it really hammers em. Last few years I've been trading off between it and a Browning Gold 10ga.

Olevern
04-20-2011, 05:22 PM
I've also had one since they came out. Used to use it for geese when I lived in South Jersey, moved to Pa. and it is my go to gun for turkey. Love it.

DIRT Farmer
04-20-2011, 06:10 PM
I shot one one time, stright up at a goose, one being the operative word here. I will stick with my old Mag-10. It has less felt recoil than a 3 inch in my 870. I don't need one of those 1,300 dollar single shots that hold 3 3.5 inch shells. Just my 1 3/4 oz worth.

Duckiller
04-20-2011, 07:37 PM
I hate this new key board! typed message 4 times and still not posted. Gas operated guns,Remington and Browning are a lot easier on your shoulder than pump guns, Especially overhead shots with heavy goose loads. 3 1/2" 12ga also is a nice goose gun. Shot load is almost up to 10 ga. I can drop ducks consistently with a 3" 12ga. , but geese just keep on flying. Could those big birds really be flying that fast?

Just Duke
04-20-2011, 07:58 PM
The old Heavy or the newer Light ?

I had a older Heavy 28" tubed barrel
Loved it , But it was heavy if you had to lug it a ways

But with the cost of 10 gau steel for waterfowl hunting
Combined with the fact I reloaded 12 gau steel

I sold it

John

How do you tell the heavier from the lighter one? Year of manufacturer?

Johnch
04-20-2011, 11:23 PM
How do you tell the heavier from the lighter one? Year of manufacturer?

Yea ....and I don't remember the date they changed

From memory they droped the weight about 8 oz

But either way , if you are looking for a 10 gau pump gun
The BPS is a great gun

John

Kskybroom
04-21-2011, 12:08 AM
Browning

Just Duke
04-21-2011, 09:29 AM
Yea ....and I don't remember the date they changed

From memory they droped the weight about 8 oz

But either way , if you are looking for a 10 gau pump gun
The BPS is a great gun

John
Thanks John I'll look for and older one that not shot out..