PDA

View Full Version : Adventures with a beagled 7mm mold

BOOM BOOM
04-19-2011, 07:35 PM
HI,
THIS IS A TALE ABOUT THE COMPLICATIONS/ADVENTURE WITH A LYMAN MOLD.
I have had this mold for 40+ yrs. now. Good mold, made 10,000's of bullets with it.:bigsmyl2:
However, I have never been able to get real good accuracy with the bullets.
So last year I decided to try to get better accuracy out of all my molds/guns. Theo Rasmusson owner of Rasmusson ind. in Lehi, Ut., the one who designed & built a really good portable bullet trap for me, beagled about 5 of my molds a honed out 1 mold.
This was all in a effort to fit the bullets to the guns better.
Well last mo. I finally got a chance to cast with it. So cast up 50 lbs. of the 168gr gc. bore rider design. bullets now drop out at 175 grs. & bigger.
Started to size & lube them this week.
DUH!!!
SIZING WAS REAL HARD. I had forgot to have the sizer honed out.
So I took a wooden dowel a pocket knife, & hacksaw and proceeded to hacksaw a slot in the dowel. Then whittle the dowel down so it fit in the sizer. then put a little strip of emery cloth in slot.
Then with a electric drill proceeded to hone. The frustrating But nice thing is that at about every 30 turns it split end of the dowel would break off.
This was a good Thing as I couldn't remove much metal before I had to take the sizer out of the vise.
So I would reinstall the sizer in the press & size & lube about 20 bullets.
THE CAST BULLETS WERE ACTING AS MY PIN GAUGES.
After 3 days & 400 sized bullets later the sizing operation is a lot easier.
The bullets are still being sized, a bit more than I would like, but I want to do some loading & accuracy testing before I take any more metal out of the sizer.
MUCH THANKS TO THEO FOR SHOWING ME HOW TO DO THIS!
IN A MUCH MORE PRECISE WAY ( HE HAS THE TOOLS).:bigsmyl2:
HE IS THE MOST ADVANCED RELOADED I KNOW PERSONALLY.
HE HAS TAUGHT ME A WHOLE LOT ABOUT MACHINE WORK.
I WOULD NEVER HAVE TRIED THIS IF HE HAD NOT SHOWN ME HOW.
BOOM BOOM