PDA

View Full Version : Cheapness is good

Harter66
04-19-2011, 06:58 PM
That is someone elses cheapness is good for me.

I work for this co.that'll spend a dime to save a nickle. Oh sure they buy all the tools and safety gear in good quality,but the little stuff is just stupid . For that I say hoorah! We have a fleet of 150 or so trucks,vans,pickups,cars and semis. In their wisdom they bought a truck load of cheeeapo kungpow seconds or something like that . Every 1 of those LT pickup tires takes about 8oz to get them balanced. How do I fit well about 3 months ago I walked in and said "I sure would like to have some of those wheel weights,but you probably have to count them all for lot auctions". The tire guy says" nope,and the guy that was taking them has 800lbs ,says that's all he wants". Now at 20 tires a week I'm going home with about 10 or 15 lbs every week of 3-4oz weights . No scrounging,and I'm saving the company a fortune in paper and disposal fees. The tire guy he's a shooter too ,promised me a gallon bag each of 9mm,and 06'.

Cheapness is good

HollowPoint
04-19-2011, 08:13 PM
"Cheapness is good"

Not only that but, Goodness is Cheap too. It cost hardly anything and
you could even look at it as an investment.

HollowPoint

Harter66
04-19-2011, 10:16 PM
All to well known HP. I did 10yrs as a 24/7/365.25 volenteer firefighter/ambulance driver/water rescue ,now I'm raising my grand daughters for my son who's screwed up from Iraqastan,I can't even count the tows,tires changed,coats given away,meals fed,and firewood cut for complete strangers. There's plenty of goodness I've spread around. Plenty more to come.

This was really a little quiet "yea me" I'm getting paid to take the wheel weights,that are huge because my company that runs 100,000 miles a month, bought cheap recaps.

Thanks for the attaboy there was a time here when saving a loney lost wheel weight was good for an attaboy , oh well the data is still here.

Bret4207
04-20-2011, 06:31 AM
There's nothing wrong with looking out for yourself. We all have our crosses to bear so to speak. Finding something to be a little happy about is okay.

6bg6ga
04-20-2011, 07:26 AM
Cheapness is good

I work for a company that unfortunately cannot see a tree for the woods. They bought me a set of tires for my service van a while back and were too cheap to purchase the warranty which covers road hazard and free wheel balancing for the life of the tires. It would have cost them roughly about $65.00. Had to replace two of the tires within the first 3K miles (road hazard) cost roughly $220 plus mounting and balancing. Had to balance all 4 tires every 3K miles due to the fact they would start shaking and even cause my hands to go numb holding onto the steering wheel. Cost $50 a session. I managed to get 65K out of the tires....you do the math:?

pdawg_shooter
04-20-2011, 08:00 AM
Cheapness is good? Guess that makes me gooder than most anybody, except maybe my wife.

04-20-2011, 11:00 AM
Harter66,
I'm sorry to hear about your son, and hope his problem is only temporary.

The V.A, has much new funding and help for veterans. If he hasn't contacted them, perhaps you can encourage him to do so.

The best to you, and your son and grand-daughter.

Harter66
04-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Thankyou 462. He's still in service . Says that life is simpler there than at home . He spent 15 months in Iraq and 13 more in Afgan with just 1 six week out during each tour. Says he's thinking about re'uping and putting in for Libya. I resinged myself to spending the next 16 years w/the girls .

I should apoligize for that post it must have been one of those raw nerve moments,I'm generaly pretty thick skinned.

04-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Harter66,
When you said "screwed up", I thought you meant that he was home and suffering from PTSD or some such.

Harter66
04-20-2011, 01:31 PM
462;
He's state side , takes a handful of pills every day. Its hard for me to guess at what might be going on. I've heard vets from other wars say they went back for more because it was easier to deal with knowing half the village would kill you because you were there and the other half would kill you so you'd go away,rather than wondering if the guy next door was spying on you or really just came by with a beer. The kid is kinda the same way . I get texts,and phone calls once every 10 days or so, he's talks to the girls maybe 5minutes a month. Ithink its mostly depression,I half expect to see the "we regret to inform you" every day. Such is life,I just "suck it up" and go on because it is what you do when your a normal adult. It is nice to empty the metiforical shopvac from time to time. Thankyou again.

It seems I've high jacked my thread.

I'll have a full 5 gallon bucket in another month or so. The work sources have also yielded a 3 gallon bucket of what seems to be 1-20 tin/lead,over the last 3 or 4 months.

Bad Water Bill
04-20-2011, 03:11 PM
Harter66

As has been said here MANY times this IS a family. Many have been in a spot where we just had to DUMP some stuff off of our head.

Be glad that you are able to help the girls and enjoy them.

Try sending your son's CHAPLAIN a letter sharing your concerns. That is one of their jobs.

Now many brownie points for helping the girls. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And points for preserving and saving the environment. +++++++++++++++++++++

Bret4207
04-21-2011, 06:34 AM
Harter, sometimes being is a familiar surrounding is a form of therapy. Your son is surrounded by people going through what he is, maybe that's for the best for now. You and he will be inmy thoughts and prayers.

And as Bill said, this is a family, it's perfectly fine to vent.

blackthorn
04-21-2011, 08:39 AM
Harter--You are not alone! It is fine for you to "vent" here if it helps, even in some small way! Best wishes for better days from our house to yours!

Harter66
04-23-2011, 08:59 PM
Thank you . 1 and all. I'm off on a 3000 mile road trip "vacation" , up 2 tamper seals and a wheel weight , from Renp to DFW Tx.. I can't imagine why I so used to love to drive. Now I just look forward to the trip legs being done,and the stops to hunt WW.

CLAYPOOL
04-24-2011, 09:43 PM
I went down the road late last summer to mow the kids yard that hadn't been back long. He says whats that noise your tractor started making. I said it's just some wire or something from your yard. P.T.O. gears had a pin drop down into.....$1200.00 plus. Just the price of doing buisness as a cattle farmer....He tells me stuff every once in awhile. No buddys business but me + him....SEE YUW
CLAYPOOL