PDA

View Full Version : Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot 2007

BruceB
12-13-2006, 05:34 AM
Sheesh...it seems like yesterday when we started planning for the FIRST NCBS, but it's coming up on the eighth Shoot already!!!

First, to PatMarlin:

Many thanks for the kind offer of your range. Compared to the wasteland setting in Winnemucca, it looks like paradise.

Questions:

-where are you located, exactly?

-how far from motels, restaurants etc?

-is road access reasonably easy?

-can a porta-john be rented anywhere fairly close by?

As far as scheduling goes, I think the weekend between Mothers' Day and Memorial Day would be best. This is the same time we picked for 2006, and it seemed satisfactory to most folks.

So, here we go again!

PatMarlin
12-13-2006, 04:05 PM
Hi Bruce,

Sorry for not posting as I just now found this thread.

Al pm'd me and brought up the point with location as to hotels and restaurants, etc. and that could be a problem with my location as I'm bout 18 miles from the nearest town, which is real small as it is.

BUT as I was replying to his PM, I had a marvelous brain storm!! I get em' once in awhile... :mrgreen:

He's part of my note to Al (with some corrections and additions):

Hi Al,

Yeah motels and the (2) restaurants are bout 18 miles away, so that may be a problem for some.

I just had an awesome idea!!![smilie=w:

You know another place that would be really cool is Lewiston, Ca.
Lewiston- is between Redding and Weaverville off of HYW 299. It's a neat historic town below Trinity Lake, and Lewiston Lake, which Trinity lake dumps into.

There is a range (Lewiston Gun Club) right past the lake. I've met some of these folks and they are really good people, and the club is very small. Understand we are not talking a huge "City Type" range here with all the formalities and regulations, but a nice range in the pristine mountains, and a very nice "Low-key" situation.

Also worthy of mention is it sets right near probably the most pristine lakes in the state (with campgrounds), and the Lewiston Hotel has a fine food restaurant.

I'm sure the Lewiston Gun Club folks would be honored to let use the range. The range is rather small, but set up well, and I think it would be more than adequate for our needs.

This would not only be a great NCBS meet, but a resort vacation as well. The fishing is awesome. The areas located right below the famous "Trinity Alps". The weather in this part of the county is the most pleasing and accommodating you will find.

It's only bout' 45 minutes west of Redding and I-5, a and about 40 minutes from me. Possibly more centrally located for some Castbooliteers. Straight shot over from 395 at Susanville for Nevada folks.

This may be a winner here Al? Give you and Rick a reason to come up and check it out.

Here's a link:

http://www.lewistongunclub.org/

http://www.lewistonca.com/

Campgrounds on the lake between the range and town also.

I'm getting really excited by the thought of this as I can't think of a more friendly private setting, in a more beautiful part of the world, with everything you would need close by..... :drinks:

45nut
12-13-2006, 04:12 PM
How bout Reno? Isnt that home of a few CB'ers? It really wouldn't be a NCBS in Cal.
Not that the offer isn't welcome Pat but..........
The problems of gun transfer in & out of commiefornia presents a serious issue to me.

As it is,my back problems will probably preclude me from attending anyway so
maybe that isn't even a factor.

I guess Northern Calfornia Boolit Shoot still fits the initials..........

PatMarlin
12-13-2006, 04:25 PM
Willy... we are in the far north of Cal, and there are no commie regulations or Gestapo at the borders in these gun friendly mountain community's.

California's gun laws get SO over exaggerated.. :mrgreen:

PatMarlin
12-13-2006, 04:37 PM
You probably can't bring your 50 cal machine gun, or AR-15's in unless they are Cal approved I would image.

Who of us shoot those at a cast boolit meet?

Dept Al would be the one to address these legalities, as he and Buckshot have been to the Nevada shoots, and are Kalifornians.. :mrgreen:

9.3X62AL
12-13-2006, 05:04 PM
Some of areas of California make Soviet-era Bulgaria look inviting, in terms of gun owner appreciation. SFO and LA come to mind in that context, San Diego is actually pretty decent, and most of the San Joauquin Valley/Sacramento Valley counties aren't bad at all--excepting Sacto metro. Where I live--the Inland Empire--is about a "3"....."1" being Nevada, "10" being checkpoints every 15 miles a la Kabul or Beirut. So, it varies--which may be even scarier to folks out-of-state.

There are provisions in CA law that allow the possession/transport/use of what CA calls "assault weapons" and high-capacity magazines into and within the state for purposes of bona fide shooting competitions. A posting on the Web at the range website concerning NCBS would likely suffice as evidence of that competition being held. Hell, the discussion HERE would probably suffice, once a date and location is set. If sufficient interest in the site seems to develop, I'll sharpen up the info on black rifles and high-caps for out-of-state shooters.

45nut
12-13-2006, 05:05 PM
Actually I am not Willy,,his handle is Gunloads Master,he provides the server and hosts CB on the Gunloads.com domain.

Just a bit of history here.......

I am Ken,,I started Cast Boolits when Shooters.com ceased operations 29 Aug,2003 was the opening of CB over at the achive on aimoo.com .

I have attended NCBS for 4 years and actually I have brought my 500A Square everytime,no its not a auto 50 BMG but it does use .510 BMG bullets as well as my own CB's.

I have also brought a few other guns to NCBS that would probably present problems to be "caught" with in Cal,,namely high cap pistols that I would prefer not be confiscated by the golden state and melted into flower vases and such.

None of these guns would be required to attend,however NV doesnt present any issue to them. And freedom to bring whatever I grab vs careful legal selections to abide by the sacramento emperors enters the fray.

Like I said,,it doesn't seem likely I will attend this year anyway,so don't let me rain on the parade.

PatMarlin
12-13-2006, 05:13 PM
Oops. Sorry Ken.

To further describe Upper Northern California...

This county is Trinity County a huge county with a population of 13,000 spread way out all over the place, so when you think of large poulations, and big cities you won't find it up here. THANK GOD!!!

Ya also won't find one stop light in the county I'm very proud to say.. :mrgreen:

NVWalt
12-13-2006, 07:42 PM
It's still Nazifornia.
I have been looking forward to the NCBS this year and if for some reason its held in Nazifornia it
!: wont be a Nevada Cast Boolit Shoot
2: I am extremely leary , one could say paranoid, of that state and its assinine gun laws.
3: Could you bring a mortar or cannon into that state to play with?
Just a few of my concerns about it anyways.
You could also have it at the Carson City range also if you notified the parks department.
Nice range with benches for pistol and rifle and then there are the 4 pit ranges used for pistol there also.
Just another range in Nevada if for some reason you don't want to have it in Winnamuca....Walt

MT Gianni
12-13-2006, 08:14 PM
Pat, any chance of a pig hunt up there?

PatMarlin
12-14-2006, 01:47 AM
It's still Nazifornia.
I have been looking forward to the NCBS this year and if for some reason its held in Nazifornia it
!: wont be a Nevada Cast Boolit Shoot
2: I am extremely leary , one could say paranoid, of that state and its assinine gun laws.
3: Could you bring a mortar or cannon into that state to play with?
Just a few of my concerns about it anyways.
You could also have it at the Carson City range also if you notified the parks department.
Nice range with benches for pistol and rifle and then there are the 4 pit ranges used for pistol there also.
Just another range in Nevada if for some reason you don't want to have it in Winnamuca....Walt

NV Walt-

If you have a better venue to support your paranoia, please have at it...
:roll:

For Christ sakes... those that have a California phobia come up with a better solution.

It makes me no difference... :roll:

9.3X62AL
12-14-2006, 02:55 AM
OK, we're having this conversation because......a community in the gun friendly state of Nevada decided that it was better public policy to close a county-operated publicly-owned range facility to accomodate the interests of some fool that built a home in the prolongated impact area of that now-closed range, rather than condemning the residence and admitting the faux pas perpetrated by whatever Planning Department signed off on the project. True wisdom, that.

It would seem that at least indifference and perhaps hostility to the interests of shooters is alive and well in at least one community in Nevada.

PatMarlin
12-14-2006, 08:08 AM
Hmmm yes. I haven't heard of any rifle ranges getting the rug pulled out from underneath them here in the Father Land.. [smilie=1:

NVWalt
12-14-2006, 10:04 AM
Nazifornia isn't that nice to gun clubs either. The San Gabriel Gun Club was just closed down along with the Silverado Gun Club , the West End Gun Range and another one down in Orange county I couldn't find the name to, and the Apple Valley range is very close to being history as I type
This is all neither here nor there, but it I know you northern California guys are way differant than the rest of California in your thinking and ways, but it is still California. And if I can't play with the guns I like to play with there I guess thats just too bad for me is all.
Maybe like you said before that a Northern California Bullet Shoot is a pretty good idea. Double the fun....
But if it is the Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot, I would think it would be in Nevada..Well, there is a Nevada county in California LOL
Anyways, I just wanted to mention one range that was an alternative to Winnemuca, which isnt a bad town and I have shot their range shooting high power and silhouette matches there. There is also Palomino and ranges farther east of there also ..
And Pat, I see southern California has moved into Lost Wages and they carry the votes in this state so I see Nevada turning into a clone of California real soon.. Good shooting to all...Walt

PatMarlin
12-14-2006, 02:39 PM
Well Mr. 3-posts, I'm sure we will all try very hard to accomodate your needs.. :roll:

As far as the long time- Castbooliteers, if you don't have a place figured out, and wouid ever like to come to our county up here, please let me know and I will make all the necessary inquirys and make it happen... :drinks:

Scrounger
12-14-2006, 03:20 PM
Nazifornia isn't that nice to gun clubs either. The San Gabriel Gun Club was just closed down along with the Silverado Gun Club , the West End Gun Range and another one down in Orange county I couldn't find the name to, and the Apple Valley range is very close to being history as I type
This is all neither here nor there, but it I know you northern California guys are way differant than the rest of California in your thinking and ways, but it is still California. And if I can't play with the guns I like to play with there I guess thats just too bad for me is all.
Maybe like you said before that a Northern California Bullet Shoot is a pretty good idea. Double the fun....
But if it is the Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot, I would think it would be in Nevada..Well, there is a Nevada county in California LOL
Anyways, I just wanted to mention one range that was an alternative to Winnemuca, which isnt a bad town and I have shot their range shooting high power and silhouette matches there. There is also Palomino and ranges farther east of there also ..
And Pat, I see southern California has moved into Lost Wages and they carry the votes in this state so I see Nevada turning into a clone of California real soon.. Good shooting to all...Walt

Walt, Silverado closed 25 years ago (also a private range in the area of Irvine Park, both due to Irvine Company development), West End is still open, the one in Orange County was South Coast Gun Club which changed its name to Orange County shooting and Training Center while on its death bed; didn't help, they were shutdown 11 years ago because of freeway construction. I was a member in all of them except San Gabriel.

floodgate
12-14-2006, 04:38 PM
Pat Marlin:

Being from Mendocino County (yeah, I know; but here in Anderson Valley we have a good mix of rednecks, hippies and just plain folks with a generally healthy attitude about guns - and our last Sheriff and DA taught and promoted CCW classes) a NorCal Bullet Shoot in the northern San Joaquin Valley woulfd be very appealing. I could barely make the old Topaz Lake site, and Winnemucca is totally out of my orbit (dern it!). The Lewiston Gun Club site sounds VERY interesting, and I for one would be very glad to hear more about it. I know three of us "Kimmies" (local dialect for "Good Ol'Boys") would go for sure.

floodgate

PatMarlin
12-14-2006, 05:02 PM
Where you at now FG?

I wasn't sure by your post... :Fire:

PatMarlin
12-14-2006, 05:08 PM
Pat, any chance of a pig hunt up there?

MTG, I'm working on that one. No pigs close to me, but definitely in other areas up here.

I've got a friend that I heard is now caretaking a huge ranch down in the valley near Williams off I-5. He told me some time back he may move there and it is thick with wild hogs. Somthing like 1000 acres, and there's no one else there most of the time but him.. :mrgreen:

MT Gianni
12-14-2006, 08:09 PM
My brother lives in Santa Rosa and gave up hunting and most shooting when he married. His kids got involved in it in Boy Scouts and the 2 youngest are certified gun nuts. Mom won't let them reload or keep powder in the house but they were out for an antelope hunt this fall and want me to go on a pig hunt north of them sometime. It would be a fun thing to combine. Gianni.

floodgate
12-14-2006, 09:29 PM
Pat:

Look at a CA map; follow State 128 from Cloverdale to State 1 at the coast; backtrack to Philo, we're 7 miles NW, right on the highway, at a spot informally called "Floodgate" (from a swinging livestock gate across the creek that flows into the Navarro River). If Philo doesn't show on your map, we're 12 mi. NW of Boonville. Quite a place: Chas. Manson had a place a mile SE of us; Leonard Lake had the motel in Philo; "Tree-Frog" Johnson - who buried the kids in the old schoolbus - was up on the ridge; the Reverend James Jones (of Kool-Aid fame) was on the School Board; and the REAL ol' timers say that Frank James used to visit relatives here bakg in the 1870s. So, you can see it's not your everyday "Kalifornia". Nearest official range is the Ukiah Gun Club's, east of the city of that name enroute to one of jack London's hangouts.

MT Gianni:

Lotsa pigs up here. I don't hunt them, myself, but can put you intouch with them as do. And I'd be happy to have your nephews as guests at the Ukiah Club.

Doug Elliott, aka "floodgate"

PatMarlin
12-14-2006, 10:40 PM
OK- I know where your at now. That's some beautiful country.

I bought my sawmill from a guy over there this time last year. I love the drive from my place over to 101, then south your way.

Mt Gianni, that would be on the way to Santa Rosa. Maybe a piggy hear piggy,piggy, hunt could be arranged.

I don't eat pig, cause it doesn't agree with me for some reason, but I sure would like to hunt one. I've been wanting to use my Raging Bull in 454 Casull for just that occasion.. :mrgreen:

waksupi
12-14-2006, 11:49 PM
Well Mr. 3-posts, I'm sure we will all try very hard to accomodate your needs.. :roll:

As far as the long time- Castbooliteers, if you don't have a place figured out, and wouid ever like to come to our county up here, please let me know and I will make all the necessary inquirys and make it happen... :drinks:

Pat, keep in mind that some of the old timers have crawled out of the woodwork this week. Mr. 3 posts, may be Mr. 3000 posts from the old shooters crowd. One post, or 10000, everyone's voice is equal here.
:Fire:

PatMarlin
12-15-2006, 12:36 AM
I stand corrected. Please forgive me sir.. :drinks:

9.3X62AL
12-15-2006, 01:58 AM
I won't speak for Pat on this matter--he has a voice of his own--but I don't like the state of gun laws in this Worker's Paradise any more than the Nevada residents do. The difference is--I live with them 24/7/365. Dealing with those laws for 48-72 hours per year seems like not such a big thing to me, but to each his own. Just don't rub my nose in it--or gracelessly throw a good-faith invitation back in someone's face who is trying to do the right things for the right reasons.

NVWalt
12-15-2006, 08:48 AM
I didn't mean to stir anything up at all. Was just concerned about guns in your state. Don't have a clue as to what is a good gun or a bad gun over there and what kind of stuff you have to do to legaly transport a gun in your state.
AS far as Pat's offer, it is indeed graciouse and well thought of by many, even myself.
I'll just fade away on this subject and just go set up all my own steel and be content with that. I'll tell the guys that told me to make it a must do thing as far as having fun and shooting cast bullets I'll just see them at the range when I am not hunting.. Good shooting to you all...Mr. 4 Poster

9.3X62AL
12-15-2006, 11:19 AM
It might be best if I opt out of this thread/discussion as well. I do sincerely hope that a venue can be developed at which to hold NCBS this year. It is a GREAT meeting, the shooting and fellowship is wonderful, and I would hate to see the matter drop.

For my own part, a formal/constructed "range" isn't really required--just a safe open area with decent backstop on public or private land where shooting is permitted, in reasonable distance to campgrounds--hotels--and restaurants. Winnemucca worked wonderfully in that regard, and I can't help thinking that another such situation surely exists in the Silver State.

PatMarlin
12-15-2006, 12:50 PM
Hey no harm done NV, it's just best described as Al put it... "Don't rub our nose in it". We know we have a pile of crap in this state that has to be delt with. I'm a Native Sacramentan. I remember hunting with my dog right in town before I-5 was there.

Thing is these wacked- mainly college kids that came from back east to attened college here and stayed are hell bent on screwing this state up.

Yes, we have a few limitations on what we can buy now as far as some of the AR-15's, high cap mags, 50 BMG's etc., BUT we are still a free gun totin' state in the USA and please don't forget that!

It might be best if I opt out of this thread/discussion as well.

NONsense Al... and we can always form a shoot in California in addition to whatever the group decides. You guys are welcome to stay at my place, and shoot at my range.

We've got guest quarters, plenty of room, a huge BBQ and eat good up here...:drinks:

I need more visitors. I get tired of talking to trees and squirls.. :mrgreen:

floodgate
12-15-2006, 01:23 PM
Pta:

Who'd you get the sawmill from?

Doug

PatMarlin
12-15-2006, 01:43 PM
Actually, dont' remember the guys name. It was a quick cash deal.

Remember driving through those mountains west of Ukia though, man that was cool.. :drinks:

BruceB
12-17-2006, 04:59 PM
I've avoided posting on the thread for a bit, in the absence of much to report. I must say that I'm surprised at some of the infighting occurring on this topic, but what the hey.

I spent this morning with the chairman of the Future Range Committee, and it was time well spent in doing reconnaisance on the best of our potential range sites.

WINNEMUCCA IS NOT ANTI-GUN.

The range which was closed is a County facility, and a creature of Humboldt County's Board of Commissioners. Winnemucca had nothing whatever to do with operating the range, or its closure.

In today's incredibly litigious society, I believe the Commissioners had no choice but to act, once publicized reports of damage and danger from the range began coming in. To their credit, they immediately formed the Committee to find a new site and offer guidance in building a new shooting facility. My concerns over the safety of the old range have already been stated on a number of occasions, and I'm not very sorry to see it go.

Today, we went down Jungo Road, which goes west from Highway 95 north of the Humboldt River. The site I had first selected is off Jungo Road about a mile, and is unseen from that road. Preferring a more-visible spot to minimize vandalism, we then found a place on public ground, where a range could be laid out with the firing line mere yards from Jungo Road. The length is basically unlimited, but at least 1500 yards according to a good map. Width across the range is also unlimited. Soil is such that berms can be constructed at the scene from the material already there. Blue Mountain forms the backdrop, and direction of fire is northerly.

I don't believe the new range will be ready by mid-May...but I'm perfectly prepared to be pleasantly surprised!

We are dealing with THREE levels of government in this situation, including BLM (federal) Nevada f&g department, and the County. A lot of stuff has to be negotiated and signed-off among these bodies, plus the using groups.

I have decided that the future (proposed) range site will be the venue for the NCBS 2007, whether it's ready or not. It lies about 17 miles from town, half of it paved, so all we have to do is haul all the stuff a bit further than we did in prior years. The setup has to be broken-down each night, but we were doing that in earlier Shoots, too.

With the borrowed tables and chairs as before, it's easy enough to set up a firing line wherever we go. All we'll lack is backstop berms, which will be a bit awkward for spotting shots, etc., but I think we can live with that. The ability to shoot MUCH farther-out will be a great boon, so just make sure all them boomers are sighted-in correctly. I wonder if I could get someone here to cut a 1/4"-plate buffalo target for 800 yards or so????

The usual Friday-noon get-together may turn out to be useful in getting out to the site and perhaps cutting some brush or whatever.

Comments?

onceabull
12-17-2006, 05:26 PM
Glad to see progress toward the new Winnemucca Area Range.sounds like a wonderful site with potential for attracting some "Really long range " shooters to help support the effort.. Fate not interfering,I expect to be available for set up effort immediately post breakfast on the anointed Friday, breaking up the day at the Griddle for lunch then back at it,prn. As accustomed , CobbMtMac should be available on the same schedule,should additional supervisory "talent" be called for. I know he has new "toys" to show ..!!.. THANKS for your time&efforts...:-D Onceabull :drinks:

PatMarlin
12-17-2006, 05:47 PM
That sounds good.

I didn't know I would be starting a fire with my offer either.. :mrgreen:

mike in co
12-17-2006, 07:01 PM
way to go!

fatnhappy
12-18-2006, 12:44 AM
Thing is these wacked- mainly college kids that came from back east to attened college here and stayed are hell bent on screwing this state up.

mrgreen:

right, blame it on "easterners," after all, we know thoroughly indocrinated CA natives aren't responsible.

If they all stayed there, then why the heck is NY so screwed up?

I'll gladly trade some of ours for some of yours.

Rant over.

Is there ever an east coast CB shoot?

9.3X62AL
12-18-2006, 01:19 AM
Good news indeed, Bruce. Check for PM.

NVcurmudgeon
12-19-2006, 12:19 AM
That's great news, Bruce. Even if the new range is not built by May, we would have everything except berms. (Might need bigger target backers for the long range events.) Packing up our stuff each night is nothing new, either. I don't hear anyone volunteering for night watchman!

powderburnerr
12-19-2006, 11:47 AM
can we perhaps camp out there . ? ohohohohoh long range yup I'm there what to bring . shovel weed whacker mattox how early before do you need me to show up.....Dean

cobbmtmac
12-19-2006, 01:56 PM
Bruce B.
Great news,:drinks: We will be there! Please post what kind of tools may be needed for Fridays preparations. If I have them I'll bring em. As onceabull said, fate not interfering, we are there and will do whatever we are able to do.

Looking forward to recieving the official dates and too participating!:Fire: Thanks for your efforts and hard work. Mac & Marlene & Mom

ammohead
12-21-2006, 12:35 AM
Pat,

As founder of NCBS let me thank you for your offer. I have been up that way and it is beautiful. I think that you hit on something when you said that nothing stops anyone from having more cast bullets shoots. NCBS has been so enjoyable that I can imagine myself making time for another foray to someone elses backyard. The first NCBS saw only 6 board members if I remember correctly and we had a blast. I have been surprized that more members haven't had similar get togethers.

But all politics aside, NCBS belongs in Nevada. But I could be talked into attending a CCBS. Looking forward to meeting you in person in Winnemucca.

ammohead

ammohead
12-21-2006, 12:42 AM
Dean,

If it's public land I don't see why we couldn't camp there. I could drag the winged avenger out this year and help keep and eye on things. Out in that country a guy might be able to call in a yodel dog or two at first light. Now that could be some fun long range shooting! Looking forward to bringing out the browning 1885 now that I have long range sights on it. And I hope to have ammo cobbed up for the new addition...1895 lever in 405 Win.

ammohead

TimB
12-23-2006, 01:00 AM
The new site sounds great! Maybe we can pick up some new shooters that are interested in long range. We'll spread the word around our cowboy group, since they are all cast bullet shooters anyway.
Bruce, is there a hill that we could spread some lime on to help mark shots? We've been trying to find some steel for an eight foot buffalo at our range, and the cost is prohibitive. Setting it up is another problem. Even with 1/4" steel, you are dealing with a lot of weight. Out to 500 yards 24" by 30" is a decent size, if we could come up with some steel.
Do you mind me asking exactly where the new site is?
At any rate, both Lori B and I are enthused about the 2007 shoot.
Tim B

PatMarlin
12-23-2006, 01:42 AM
I could bring my little old self contained dredge claim trailer, and my FoxPro FX3.

That'll call them yotes in.. :mrgreen:

waksupi
12-23-2006, 02:56 AM
I will give you guys a tip. This is assuming ou have access to a welder, and a cutting torch. At our local scrap yard, we can find lotsa one inch steel plate, but never big enough for a large target. =So, you get the smaller chunks, cut and weld where needed, and you can make any type of target, with much less expense. I have been considering putting together a T Rex target for our long range shot!

Scrounger
12-23-2006, 07:56 AM
I will give you guys a tip. This is assuming ou have access to a welder, and a cutting torch. At our local scrap yard, we can find lotsa one inch steel plate, but never big enough for a large target. =So, you get the smaller chunks, cut and weld where needed, and you can make any type of target, with much less expense. I have been considering putting together a T Rex target for our long range shot!

I like your 'CarpetMan and Sheep' target. I think you could sell a lot of them if you advertised.

NVWalt
12-24-2006, 12:41 PM
I have a what remains of a set of big bore pistol/rifle full size silhouettes. Couple rams, few chickens,pigs and turkeys. I will bring to the shoot and you can set them up at the standard pistol, 50-100-150-200 or rifle 200-300-385-500 ranges or whatever the guys and gals want and clang away. Fun targets. Especially if set so they don't fall over somehow
Also, as I am a die hard coyote caller I will volunteer to stay at the range to play security overnight as that area has always been an ok place to call coyotes and while I am there might as well wack a few....Walt

Buckshot
12-25-2006, 10:51 AM
................Now watch since I've put in for my vacation in the 3rd week of May they'll move it back to the 1st week :-)

.................Buckshot

powderburnerr
12-26-2006, 11:03 AM
buckshot , the trouble is you are too good a shot . and then go advertise when you want to come and win all . no wonder they move the schedule ..........

hey I hope you make it this year ............Dean

Buckshot
12-27-2006, 04:06 AM
...........Now Deano, ole buddy ole pal, I'm touched that you'd lie for me that way and it just makes me warm all over :-) but you're as full of that stuff as a Christmas goose, HA!

...............Buckshot

PatMarlin
12-27-2006, 10:29 AM
Pat,

As founder of NCBS let me thank you for your offer. I have been up that way and it is beautiful. I think that you hit on something when you said that nothing stops anyone from having more cast bullets shoots. NCBS has been so enjoyable that I can imagine myself making time for another foray to someone elses backyard. The first NCBS saw only 6 board members if I remember correctly and we had a blast. I have been surprized that more members haven't had similar get togethers.

But all politics aside, NCBS belongs in Nevada. But I could be talked into attending a CCBS. Looking forward to meeting you in person in Winnemucca.

ammohead

Don't know how I missed this but thanks, and I look forward to meeting you also AH..
:drinks:

I will put together a N. Cal shoot someday, and no matter how small, it should be a good time. I need to get more folks up here interested in Cast Boolit shooting, but people have an immediate phobia when you mention it. They just can't picture a lead bullet that you've cast yourself working. Funny- I never had that problem ...:mrgreen:

carpetman
12-27-2006, 12:15 PM
If you use ram silhouettes and Waksupi is there I think you will find he is most aggressive about getting rid of the competition.

BruceB
12-31-2006, 07:16 PM
Buckshot: ".........Now watch since I've put in for my vacation in the 3rd week of May they'll move it back to the 1st week :-)"

Weeeeeeeellll, now.

Bein' as "I" is the "they" who schedule this event, "I" can state with perfect truth that "they" WILL NOT CHANGE the date from the already-announced weekend.

THE 2007 NEVADA CAST BULLET SHOOT WILL BE HELD ON THE WEEKEND OF MAY 18-19-20, AND NO-REPEAT-NO-MISTAKE ABOUT IT.

To meet this schedule, I have to use up 36 vacation hours, but I figure it's worth it. The weather is more likely to be pleasant than earlier dates, and Mothers' Day and Memorial Day do not conflict. OKAY, y'all?????

There may well be a good bit more effort required to set up this time, due to lack of berms, target holders, etc. All offers of steel targets etc already detailed are gratefully accepted. Bring anything you think may be useful and/or fun.

I have a bunch of old railway ties here which we can use for bases for silhouettes etc, but we might have to set them up a bit above-ground so lines of sight will clear the brush etc on site. If anyone has a chainsaw, or post-hole digger, or pick-axes, spades etc....they may all be useful. If we use short ties(4-feet?) as posts, perhaps standing two feet or so above ground level, we should be able to use full-length horizontal 8-foot ties between posts as bases for steel. The rebar/cardboard setups for paper targets should work just as well on the open desert as they did on the range (maybe even better, with softer ground to drive them into.). Might have to go to taller rebar, again to get sight lines above the brush.

We HAVE to leave the absolute minimum "footprint" on the land. No litter, no garbage, minimal tracks etc. I am not going to be asking permission to shoot on public land, but neither will we tolerate leaving it looking abused. Just common sense and common courtesy, right?

Anyone who stays overnight out there is gonna miss all the after-dark festivities, and it's a bit of a drive if one has a libation or two "too many". Keep this in mind. I still think we should pick up the tables and chairs each evening, since they are a generous no-cost loan from Brown's Hardware. If all that's left out there is target supports, not much harm should occur overnight. We can stash the porta-john somewhere close by.

Gonna be fun! Some longer-range targets will add a lot to the enjoyment. I was thinking that, for the team rifle match, we could send each team to the line in turn, and they could fire at a "dicey" steel target in rotation...maybe ten rounds each, rotating shooters for each shot, and EVERYONE counting impacts? THAT would put some pressure on the shooter! What...24" target at 200 yards from standing????

Put the ol' thinking caps on.

onceabull
12-31-2006, 09:13 PM
Grand idea for team shooten,Bruce: and I am especially looking forward to firing on NVWALT's official silhouette's,as I've yet to miss one of the proper size for the recognized range.[smilie=1: ------------Onceabull [smilie=1: !!

9.3X62AL
01-01-2007, 02:01 AM
That timeframe works for me, Bruce. It will be nice to have Ezmo The Driver (Buckshot) along for the trip from Bulgaria With Palm Trees.

NVcurmudgeon
01-01-2007, 03:00 AM
Bruce, I will cheerfully donate a steel plate abut 3' square, but regret to inform you that there is no Lemon Chiffon paint available.

NVcurmudgeon
01-01-2007, 03:06 AM
Pat, if I call a magazine a "gunrag," will the kittens be safe?

cobbmtmac
01-01-2007, 02:06 PM
Bruce, our calanders have been marked :coffee: Thanks!

I will bring a couple of shovels, a Maddox, and an old swedish buck saw. I don't have a chain saw. I probably won't be able to swing the maddox, but I am sure someone can.

Looking forward to seeing and visiting with everyone. HAPPY NEW YEAR:drinks: Mac

PatMarlin
01-01-2007, 06:14 PM
Pat, if I call a magazine a "gunrag," will the kittens be safe?

-not around Kenjuudo-

NVcurmudgeon
01-01-2007, 07:07 PM
Mac, you just make sure to being the mattock, and I'll bring Jaremy (22) to swing it. After four years working as a construction laborer, he probably has muscles in his hair!

cobbmtmac
01-02-2007, 12:18 PM
NVcurmedgeon,
Thanks for Jaremy's help!!! Now I have to look the damm word up to see if I not only spelled it wrong, but also been pronouncing it wrong all my life[smilie=1:

Hope to see you before long, Mac

onceabull
01-02-2007, 01:27 PM
You guys would do well to just call a grub hoe what it is...:twisted: Onceabull

carpetman
01-02-2007, 02:09 PM
Onceabull---Yip down here they are called grubbing hoe--I thought he was bringing a lawyer but it was Matlock.

cobbmtmac
01-02-2007, 06:38 PM
Hey use guys, my frst recolection of thesz tools whn I waz a lit'le tike, was frm the spoken wrd of "WPA" workers and the "CCC" camps. They were sofisticated cause I never herd them call it a "grub hoe".

But "GRUB HOE", it shall be:roll: !

Loken 4-word to c-ing ya, Mac

Scrounger
01-02-2007, 08:28 PM
Here's a link to a nice web page that describes and shows good pictures of grub hoes and Pulaskis and other tools that make my back hurt just looking at thrm.

http://www.americantrails.org/resources/info/tools5.html

PatMarlin
01-04-2007, 01:18 PM
It's official-

My wife and I will attend the shoot this year. Now you're in for it.. :mrgreen:

NVcurmudgeon
01-04-2007, 05:16 PM
Pat, delighted you and your wife will attend the Eighth Annual(!) NCBS. I have a kid picture of me with a good sized striper from Berkeley Pier, like your c. 1965 picture, but mine is c. 1951, and I was older at the time!

Buckshot
01-05-2007, 08:07 PM
...............Too bad I don't have a trailer for, and for THAT matter a truck to pull it, or I could bring my dad's old bosses International TD-18 crawler and we could move some dirt :-)

...............Buckshot

9.3X62AL
01-05-2007, 11:55 PM
...............Too bad I don't have a trailer for, and for THAT matter a truck to pull it, or I could bring my dad's old bosses International TD-18 crawler and we could move some dirt :-)

...............Buckshot

No, Rick--the F-250 won't pull it.

First, it was the Cabrio to hunt rats from--now this. You all see the sorts of things I deal with at the Burrito Shoot--when able to attend.

PatMarlin
01-06-2007, 12:07 AM
:mrgreen:

ammohead
01-10-2007, 09:14 PM
They just can't picture a lead bullet that you've cast yourself working. Funny- I never had that problem ...:mrgreen:

Pat,

Whenever I here someone doubt the viability of cast bullets my reply is...."Seen any buffalo lately?"

ammohead

ammohead
01-10-2007, 09:17 PM
l-l-long r-range shootin, and buckshot is coming. I am quaking in my boots at the thought.

Can't wait to see you again Rick.

ammohead

ammohead
01-10-2007, 09:19 PM
And for the pistol team event. Double action at 100 yards on the same target!

ammohead

9.3X62AL
01-10-2007, 10:02 PM
And for the pistol team event. Double action at 100 yards on the same target!

ammohead

I'm in, Bruce. Yer a daisy if ya do!

Buckshot
01-11-2007, 03:09 AM
l-l-long r-range shootin, and buckshot is coming. I am quaking in my boots at the thought.

Can't wait to see you again Rick.

ammohead

...............I haven't figured out which rifle I'm gonna bring for that event yet. Heck, win-lose-or draw, it'll just be great to get back up there and see everyone.

You gonna bring the "Winged Avenger" and sleep out at the new range?

................Buckshot

PatMarlin
01-11-2007, 12:01 PM
That's a question I have?

What do I need to bring? What rifle, handgun, how many, etc.?

What type of events do I need to practice and work up loads for?

I have no idea, as I've never been to a competitive shoot.

NVcurmudgeon
01-11-2007, 03:17 PM
Pat, see my post #26 on page 2 of the NCBS 2006 (that's last year) thread. It is a sticky near the top of this page. It is also addressed to you. Also, check posts #27, #28, (yours) and #29.

9.3X62AL
01-11-2007, 04:20 PM
The "competition" element is kinda de-emphasized, generally. I bring the guns I hunt with, mostly--nothing exotic or "target-oriented" in my modest collection. One of the central themes that seems to run through the membership here is the good work done with milsurp or mass-produced rifles and handguns--using poured boolits crafted by one's own hand for the most part. That is the thrust of my hobby work, and I carry that to NCBS.

As for the "long range" rifle shooting.......there hasn't been a whole lot of that in my experience. I did some work-related stuff with my bolter 308's at Camp Pendleton from 300-600 meters......some informal plinking at metal targets from 200-700 yards at my home range and at Angeles Shooting Club.......and a little rock-busting out in the desert. For many here, long range shooting isn't often available--for me, it is a treat and a curiosity that I like to explore and play around with, but nothing serious could ever come from it. Lack of facilities, platforms, and skills keeps me well within the ranks of the rank amateur--certainly so with rifles, at least.

Long range (whatever that is) handgunning I've done a bit more of. I like to empty out leftover rounds from handgun ammo lots from my sideirons at the 200 meter dinger plate at the range Buckshot and I infest on Tuesdays. Some of this gets done double-action, and once in a while I connect on the plates. Most of the rounds hit pretty close to the plate, so I know very well that 219 yards is NOT a safe space from someone firing a handgun in your direction. Most cops of my age range (51 years) were trained to fire their revolvers double-action, and many of them can keep all rounds fired on a B-27 silhouette at 100 yards from their pet K-38 or Python in that manner. My better revolvers can stay inside the B-27's 8-ring at 100 yards with loads they like (rested), and I shoot about as well double-action as I do single action. So, a D/A shooting sequence at distance appeals in no small way to yours truly.

Buckshot
01-12-2007, 11:20 AM
That's a question I have?

What do I need to bring? What rifle, handgun, how many, etc.?

What type of events do I need to practice and work up loads for?

I have no idea, as I've never been to a competitive shoot.

...............Not a competitive shoot. A bunch of friends get together and shoot. There are some "Events" you can participate in if you want to, and then 2 "Team" events.

The 2 Team events are one rifle and one pistol. Usually you try to shoot a board in half or clear a a bunch of clay pidgeons. Fast and furious.

Then there is rifle group at 50 and 100, iron sights

Rifle group at 50 & 100 scoped

Then a couple pistol events.

Scopes are not normally highly stressed and the rifle at 50 may be offhand. Long range rifle is or has been 5 rounds offhand iron sights at some not to terribly small target.

Basicly it's bring what you enjoy shooting, partake of the events you want to. If you suddenly get the urge to do somehting you didn't bring a gun for, it's usually no problem to borrow one.

...............Buckshot

Idaho Sharpshooter
01-12-2007, 01:26 PM
Lemme see,

got to bring the Sharps, the 1911 Swiss, the 32-20 M73, the 550 Gibbs (guaranteed crowd pleaser), the CZ 416 Rigby, the 9,3x62 CZ, that should about cover my end.

Rich

flhroy
01-13-2007, 12:00 AM
Buckshot that isn't one of those machines that had spark plugs on one side of the engine and injecters on the other is it? those are some serious earth moving machines.

GLL
01-14-2007, 01:20 PM
Can someone post a detailed map to show the site relative to Winnemucca? I have not been back to that area since the late 60's, but I assume Winnemucca has not changed TOO much since then! :) :)

Jerry

Trailblazer
01-14-2007, 01:44 PM
It looks like my wife and I will be able to make this shoot. I see the events and I will probably just bring my 30-30. Question is how many rounds is enough? I can see the "formal" events do not require that many rounds but what might be appropriate for the whole thing including plinking, etc?

We are planning a vacation to explore points north for retirement purposes. Going to continue up into Idaho, Montana and Wyoming after the shoot.

NVcurmudgeon
01-14-2007, 05:59 PM
I usually bring 800-1000 rounds for six rifles and one pistol. If that seems a lot, that is for two shooters. Generally I haul half of it back home afterwards, except for the .44 Magnums. My 22 year old stepson believes that .44s go bad if he doesn't shoot them all up!

NVcurmudgeon
01-14-2007, 06:09 PM
GLL, the new range site is about 16 miles W on Jungo Road. From the main street, go N on US 95, cross the river, then look for Jungo Road. Turn left. As the time gets closer, notices of Friday lunch meetings, Friday night Rools Committy meetings, etc. will appear here.

Gunload Master
01-14-2007, 08:02 PM
Life can be a bit hectic for me at times, but I am going to try my best to be at this one. I know I dogged out the last year for certain reasons, but I sure hope I can make it to this one..

Buckshot
01-15-2007, 12:04 PM
Buckshot that isn't one of those machines that had spark plugs on one side of the engine and injecters on the other is it? those are some serious earth moving machines.

...............Yupper. Started on gas and ran on diesel. When they got it it had a bubbleing head gasket :-). Used an engine hoist to pull the head and the local tractor place had parts in inventory! I don't know what the stroke was but the pistons would disappear down into the block a fur piece.

Set the compression release, turn on the gasoline tank and crank it over. It has a fluttering sound running on gas (comp release open). You ran it like that till the temp guage began to move and then flipped the comp release lever up and the Bosch timed injection pump would shoot the motion lotion to the injectors[smilie=2:

She'd belch some black smoke and rattle and clatter, rocking back and forth on the tracks a bit with the rpms running up a down a little till she warmed all the way up. Had to be a real man to clutch and brake tracks. I was only in my early teens at the time and it was fun at first but that wore off before too long.

When I lived in the sticks we had a 1948 I-H wheel tractor that was a 4 cyl diesel and started the same way. It was a horse, and a rat bastard to turn in sharp corners.

.................Buckshot

Doughty
01-15-2007, 12:37 PM
Trailblazer,

Read your post about coming and only bringing your .30-30. Why not bring your Marlin conversions you talked about on the leveraction forum. I've wanted to go every year to this match, but things seem to always get in the way. However, if you brought those guns to Nevada, and were planning on coming on to Montana, why you could bring them on too, and come through Plains.

Oh, PS. Bring some ammo for the 7mm conversion.

Trailblazer
01-16-2007, 10:11 AM
Old Vic,

I thought about bringing the 30 caliber but it isn't a finished piece yet and I don't know if I will have it all together by then. The 7mm barrel is sitting in the corner as both conversions were done on the same rifle which is a Big Bore Winchester 94. I haven't done the Marlin yet. I probably will but don't know when I will get to that!

I had to look at the map to see where Plains is. I have heard of it but thought it was further south. Whenever I mention going further north my wife starts babbling in strange words that I don't understand! Main problem is we will only have a week for the northern part of the trip and I definitely want to spend some time at the Cody Museum. We were there about 10 years ago and we didn't see it all then and I want to spend more time in the gun museum this time.

Think I will plan on bringing 200 rounds plus whatever else happens to get loaded.

Doughty
01-16-2007, 10:57 AM
Seems there's never enough time...

To work on projects...

Spend at the Cody Museum...

Or get to the NCBS......

KevMT
01-17-2007, 02:37 PM
Seems there's never enough time...

To work on projects...

Spend at the Cody Museum...

Or get to the NCBS......

Back in October, my son and I stopped in to the Cody museum on our way back from a job interview in Wyoming. We spent the whole day in the firearm museum without seeing any of the other stuff. If you go, don't miss the basement part of the firearms museum. There was a video playing down there showing Herb Parson's trick shooting too. Truely amazing. As I understood it the price of admission was actually good for 2 days, so if you are going you might plan accordingly.

Kev

Kev

ammohead
01-21-2007, 02:57 PM
estimado buckshot,

Not sure yet if I will bring the winged avenger or not. If I am broke enough it will surely be there. Real soon Winnemucca is going to be about a hour and a half closer for me. I start monday at the naval air station in Fallon Nevada. The new home of "Top Gun". I accepted a hvac maintenance tech position with the facilities maintenance contractor there. After 4 years of driving all over the state with my last job from hell, I finally found a nice relaxing way to approach my later years. I put an offer on a house and 10 acres on the outskirts of Fallon. I am hoping to finish the deal quick so I don't have to commute from Wellington too long as it is about a hour and forty minute drive one way.

Fallon is a shooters town. Used to be home to Talbot and Ugalde of TCU fame. Could be possible to take on a NCBS sometime in the near future to give BruceB and family a break. Also gives me a whole new part of Nevada to go exploring in depth. There is some excellent Desert Big Horn country near there and I have 13 bonus points for DBH this year so my turn should be coming up soon. So I am off to a new adventure. Hope I can get a loading room set up in time to ready for NCBS 2007. Can't wait to see you again.

ammohead

NVcurmudgeon
01-21-2007, 06:24 PM
Bruce, looks like a great move! Just make sure to get back to the west side of the state for BRGS, I need both you and Urny to spot good milsurps for me to buy.

9.3X62AL
01-22-2007, 12:54 AM
Congrats on the new job, Bruce! Most all of Nevada has always impressed me as gun country, so hearing what you say about the Fallon area is no surprise.

Not trying to induce freq drift on the thread here, but Marie and I are in a pretty intent "re-locate mode" ourselves. The Reno and Boise areas are getting the microscope right now, and unless something radical occurs on Marie's job front locally......we will be outta CA this summer, and a couple of the adult kids will be coming with us. This shouldn't impact NCBS 2007 attendance (there, back on topic), but Marie is likely to fly home from Reno after NCBS while I go prospecting around both Reno and Boise for places to live--this based on job offers now in process. The general locations enable an Ed. D. doctorate program for Marie at a local university that provides same.

ammohead
01-23-2007, 11:26 PM
Great news Al. I was hoping for an update. Needless to say I am rooting for a Nevada landing for you, Marie and family. If you move to Boise I'll still only get to shoot with you once a year.

ammohead

onceabull
01-24-2007, 12:32 AM
ammohead: i Know you will be surprised,but there is a contrary opinion extant re: Reno Vs Boise for the Paine family.. :roll: Regardless ,great news re: your new emp. and real estate find,hope it all goes well for you..:-D Onceabull

9.3X62AL
01-24-2007, 01:15 AM
Thanks for all the kind words, guys. Don't be so sure about that "once a year only" shooting bit, Bruce--regardless where I hang my hat.

PatMarlin
01-24-2007, 03:32 AM
Gettin' closer to Cedarville Al.. :-D :drinks:

9.3X62AL
01-24-2007, 10:30 AM
Oh, just a little, Pat. I don't know why Cedarville/Surprise Valley doesn't just secede from CA and become part of NV.

NVWalt
01-24-2007, 11:03 AM
If Cedarville and Surprise Valley were to secede to Nevada you wouldn't even need a license to shoot those squirrels.
May is rapidly approaching and there are so many loads to work up. Hope I don't run out of time. Seems you plan and plan on something and still never get everything done you wanted before your time runs out and the fun weekend is upon you....Walt

PatMarlin
01-24-2007, 11:13 AM
My second now long range Washington Dad was telling me about a place they go to shoot squirls overthere, but it's not Cedarville I guess. Has hot tubs and restaurant, and I guess a nice place to stay.

NVcurmudgeon
01-24-2007, 11:45 AM
You need a license to shoot squirrels in Cedarville? Oops.

PatMarlin
01-25-2007, 12:49 AM
I for one look forward to the time when I can spend the day shoot'n with Dept. AL.. :drinks:

And everyone else at the Nevada Shoot of course.. :Fire:

NVWalt
02-20-2007, 11:52 AM
The time just keeps ticking away and I wait for a new mold to try and get my little 32-20 shooting Tried some cast in the Fireball the other day and not bad.
May is just around the corner and hopefully we will have good warm weather also. So many differant cartridges to try to work up cast loads for . Are any of you that will be attending the shoot having the same dilemma I am? I got to admit though that it is a good dilemma to be in . LOL...walt

cobbmtmac
02-20-2007, 01:32 PM
NVWalt,
Yea, I am anxious as I have acquired a couple more Marlin 336A w/24" barrels & short mags.:-D I have also built up a Rem. 700 in 35 Whelen over the winter.

What kind of mould do you have coming for your 32-20? I have a Lyman 311316 in 4-cav that does a great job, boolits drop @ .314-315. I m sure yours will work out just fine, but just in case for some reason it does not, I have a good supply and am willing to send some to you. Your cost would be a cup of :coffee: at NCBS Double-"owe"-7.

Looking forward to seeing everyone. Mac

onceabull
02-20-2007, 06:08 PM
Gents: all the talk re:32/20's has me thinking that some of you should be in the market for a fine 32/20 revolver or two...Sooooo- I'll try to fulfill that "need" for you at NCBS '07.. along with this years trove of temptations for BruceB.. and a mould or six for rent,lease,or sale...OH BOY,it's tough waiting.! !..:mrgreen: Onceabull

BruceB
06-13-2007, 10:33 PM
Today, TODAY, just a couple hours ago, it all came together at last.

I finally got the attention of the local gentleman who owns a LARGE sandpit not far out of town. We drove around the pit area, I explained the whole Shoot concept, and he pretty much gave me carte blanche to do what we want (as long as we don't shoot at his house).

What does this do? Well, for one thing we can shoot over level ground to about 200+ yards, with a good backstop. Also, in the immediate area of the 200-yard firing line, we could easily set up a separate fifty-yard range if desired. The direction of fire is just about due north.

The single complicating factor is that it IS a sandpit. There are some graveled paths which normal vehicles can easily negotiate. Off those paths.... look out! For instance, getting our targets out to 200 yards will be a trudge-through-the-sand operation, unless we can somehow find an ATV to do the work. Anybody got one?

Everything considered, I think this setup will be the best that we've had in years. Putting up steel targets at 200 (rather than paper) will minimize the trudging, too. Those wishing to camp on the site should find it pretty simple.

SO:

Friday the 22nd: - meet for lunch at the Griddle, 1:00pm

- get-acquainted dinner at The Flying Pig, 6:00 pm

Saturday: - shoot all day, starting at 0900...set up time about 8:00am.

- BBQ at the BruceB place...we used to have everyone bring whatever
meat they wished to barbecue, but Karen is thinking about having us
provide the edibles and charge a modest fee for the dining...we'll see.

Sunday: - shoot all day, starting at 8:00am

- closing dinner at Ormachea's, our traditional closing spot.

This event has been an ongoing PITA since I started trying to get it organized. I hope that I haven't discouraged many people because of all the *****s. We still have the makings of a really fine time, here. Hope to see as many as possible of you amigos on Friday next!

onceabull
06-14-2007, 12:00 AM
BruceB: great find,Bruce. I've been sorting out a fine selection of moulds"for rent,lease,et al" and tomorrow we meet for National Reloading Afternoon.( Replacement for National Reloading Day,normally held 3rd Monday in Jan... .with regular attendees now "retired" some of the Nancies have turned into snowbirds,and try to be in Az.asap once Xmas with the grandkids is over.). Trying to choose precisely which firearms will be too much temptation for someone in order to maximize return on fuel investment..The Casino board games are not reliable enough for the Mrs. to cover our expenses !!! CobbMtMac called twice this week,looking for answers in load development in order to tweak up a winning combo.. WE ARE SO PLEASED ,and a big THANK YOU for all the effort to date.... Mr.&Mrs. Onceabull

onceabull
06-14-2007, 12:26 AM
BruceB: trying the PM deal,if you can't make out the message let me know.......Thx, Onceabull

9.3X62AL
06-14-2007, 01:04 AM
I have the rental castings/molds, all but one borrowed book, and guns/ammo pretty much in order in the midst of the move (now under way). Looking forward to this trip, for sure.

NVcurmudgeon
06-14-2007, 02:30 AM
BruceB: great find,Bruce. I've been sorting out a fine selection of moulds"for rent,lease,et al" and tomorrow we meet for National Reloading Afternoon.( Replacement for National Reloading Day,normally held 3rd Monday in Jan... .with regular attendees now "retired" some of the Nancies have turned into snowbirds,and try to be in Az.asap once Xmas with the grandkids is over.). Trying to choose precisely which firearms will be too much temptation for someone in order to maximize return on fuel investment..The Casino board games are not reliable enough for the Mrs. to cover our expenses !!! CobbMtMac called twice this week,looking for answers in load development in order to tweak up a winning combo.. WE ARE SO PLEASED ,and a big THANK YOU for all the effort to date.... Mr.&Mrs. Onceabull

Bill, this year's dividends already in the to go pile. Mac's samples have convinced me I "need" an RCBS 35-200, got one in your selection? I won't tell you which guns are most likely to overcome my resistance, I'm weak. I think Mac phoned me three times this week about loads. If he's picking your brain as well, neither of us will stand a chance!

NVcurmudgeon
06-14-2007, 02:40 AM
[QUOTE=BruceB;191749]Today, TODAY, just a couple hours ago, it all came together at last.

I finally got the attention of the local gentleman who owns a LARGE sandpit not far out of town. We drove around the pit area, I explained the whole Shoot concept, and he pretty much gave me carte blanche to do what we want (as long as we don't shoot at his house).

Way to negotiate on the site, Bruce! This means the long range match will be at something approaching long range, guess I'd better tip the 2400 can a little higher. Too bad there won't be a titanic struggle between ammohead and Buckshot at long range this year.

See y'all in nine days!

PatMarlin
06-14-2007, 10:36 AM
Anybody have any snow shoes?.. :mrgreen:

Sure wish I could come this year, but alas... I'm stuck on a project in Sacramento.

-maybe Dep. Al could swing by and pick me up?.. -just kiddn' Al.. :mrgreen:

cobbmtmac
06-14-2007, 11:40 AM
To: Bruce B.:drinks:
Once again, a GREAT BIG THANK YOU for your continued hard work.[smilie=1: Sound like a GREAT place!!!

We will arrive mid to late afternoon on Thu. 6/21. We will be at the Gold Country BW, along with Mr. & Mrs. onceabull, 623-6999 if you should need us.

To: the bull & curmudg.
Thanks for all the help this week, but remember, you guys are far ahead of me,:mrgreen:, of course this could give me false hope if I can just keep you two from lapping me.

BruceB
06-14-2007, 11:13 PM
Okay....I went back to the site by myself, with my rangefinder and a bit of available time.

First though, the distance to the Shoot range from the Hwy 95/Winnemucca Boulevard traffic light is just about four miles east on Winnemucca Blvd. It's a very short haul, with portions of the trip posted at 50 mph on good pavement. The last mile is on gravel.

With a view to minimizing the chances of getting stuck, we will set up our firing line on the north edge of a graveled roadway in the pit. This has the somewhat unfortunate effect of slightly-reducing the ranges to the backstops, but still allows a full 100 yards on the left end and 196 yards on the right of the line. It should be just fine, especially after having previous shoots limited to shorter ranges.

It would be adviseable to bring tow chains or straps or traction mats if you have such critters. I have a hunch we won't get through the weekend without 'somebody' getting mired-down.

Having leaned on a friend here at work, he's promised us an ATV which he will deliver FROM BATTLE MOUNTAIN at 0800 Saturday morning. Being a shooter himself, although somewhat challenged by a still-healing left elbow following surgery, I told him if he wanted to stick around, there'd be plenty of stuff to see and shoot....and I'd stake him to Saturday dinner at the B place. So, that should solve the problem of getting steel positioned out across 200 yards of sand.

We'll have to flag-off a couple of places to stop possible cross-range traffic, but I have the bright-red "DANGER-KEEP OUT " tape for the purpose....I had to start flagging the area downrange of Der Schuetzenwagen, after numerous people drove right in front of the muzzle when I was shooting from inside the van. Ergo, the hi-viz tape is yet another standard-equipment item for an increasingly-cluttered vehicle....

Naturally, we are expected to keep litter to a minimum, but everyone in the past has taken good care of that factor, and I imagine it'll be the same this time.

I think y'all are going to like this set-up.

9.3X62AL
06-15-2007, 12:38 AM
Sounds real good to me, sir. The MIA book is one of yours, Bruce--"The White Company". It got packed before I could snag it, it will have to be mailed later. Sorry about that.

I'm still not "fixed" on what toys are making the trip. I'll be solo, it appears--Marie is doing the stand-in bit as vice-principal until the school year ends (6-27), so the Friday and Monday are OUT. Pat, I could easily swing through Sacto, it's just a minor detour--lemme know, I got guns and boolits to spare.

onceabull
06-15-2007, 01:07 AM
BruceB: I received your PM in clear text,and have responded in the hope we can do this successfully TWICE !!-------------------------9.3x62AL: maybeso you can sort through my treasures and pick out something really special to take back to Marie !!! I'll be ready/willing to supply specious advice in aid of your decision making...:twisted: :twisted: --Onceabull

BruceB
06-15-2007, 01:15 AM
Al, "The White Company" was a gift to you...it's yours. I ordered two copies after we got to discussing it, and I still have mine here.

Watch out; Idabull is setting traps and ambuscades for us unwary pilgrims...

"If he, being young and unskillful

Plays for shekels of silver and gold;

Take his money, my son, praising Allah....

The kid was ordained to be sold."

-Kipling

Hang on to your wallet! Maybe I'll have a few goodies to sell at this Shoot, too.

Maybe you could "kidnap" Pat Marlin???

PatMarlin
06-15-2007, 04:04 AM
Gosh darn it's tempting Al.

I've had such an ordeal the past 2 months with placing my elderly grandmother in assisted care living (probably the hardest thing I've ever done), and remodeling her place for the market. I need a break.. :roll:

I just am at the down hill side, and will be done probably the middle of the week for sure, but I need to get back home.

I happen to have my pre-64 model 70 in 30-06 and my great grandad's colt lightening with me but no boolits.. :mrgreen: Oh yea and my .357 Sig, but only one magazine.. :Fire:

9.3X62AL
06-15-2007, 07:23 PM
We all seem to have our situations pulling us in several directions at once. The TRUE blessings are that we HAVE these friends, these oppurtunities to meet, and 7 or 8 days of loose time until NCBS. It could be a lot worse. Bless you all, and more of us that can get together over the next several days, the better.

45nut
06-15-2007, 08:27 PM
I truly wish I was able to travel. You have no idea how much I will miss NCBS.
I am still in immense pain daily to the point walking past 20 feet feels as if I am carrying an extra 500#s on my head and arms. A drive past 10 miles and my arms begin going numb and tingling and I must pull over. I have been to umpteen doctors paid by workers comp and they have done nothing but shove pills at me and shuffle me to the next jerk needing a payment on his beemer until they found one willing to sell his soul and write me off as "medically stationary" despite having nothing done.
My original MRI showed damage to 3 discs,,and since it was c4,c5 and c6 all of the nerves for my arms are impinged and thats why my arms go numb when I walk or drive. Since the last dr sold me out and I was ordered to report to work I did,,and when the pain was too much I left work and was fired. So no job, no ins,no income, no workers comp time loss and still in tremendous pain and now,, with no medication to relieve any pain.
So,, I cannot attend what was an event I planned for every year due to a corrupt system designed first to protect the corporate types and try at every opportunity to shove injured workers off the cliff. And add to that the insult of having all of your former co-workers ( friends ) cut off all contact and leave you to rot, all in self preservation mode they tell themselves of course.

Having called over a dozen lawyers now and getting the workers comp side of the lies it's apparent unless you suffer a loss of limb or life via a bloody and highly visible accident you are screwed. Those of us with neck or back pain cannot show the pain via a xray or obviously missing limb are poor candidates for representation it appears.

Those attending NCBS please fire a volley of 45's in my stead.
Hoist a cool beverage and savor a steak from one of the Bannister BBQ's and give my best wishes to the Hosts of NCBS 2007 for me will ya?

NVcurmudgeon
06-16-2007, 12:45 AM
Ken, take this as "jailhouse lawyer" speak FWIW. First check every piece of paper that came into your possession during this horror story. In CA there is an information and assistance office, and if Oregon has such the number will be among your papers. In NV the injured worker can request a hearing at which the worker can state his problem, and the insurance company has to justify their position. There must be some method of redress in OR. Yours is the kind of case that plaintiff's lawyers dream of. How do you think Senator Barbara Boxer got so rich? Her husband is a prominent plaintiff's attorney in CA.

NVcurmudgeon
06-16-2007, 12:51 AM
Mac, you can bring your shovel to NCBS. I have seen the site and it is all sand, so no pick will be necessary. I'll bring my shovel, too. We can have a geezer earthmoving party.

PatMarlin
06-16-2007, 08:29 AM
Can young geezers attend also?.. :mrgreen:

PatMarlin
06-16-2007, 08:34 AM
I'm homesic, but my wife's trying to talk me into going Al.

I've got a $100 chip at home from Harrah's I need to cash and that would help pay for gas. Tryin' to talk myself into this.. :mrgreen: :Fire:

NVcurmudgeon
06-16-2007, 01:46 PM
I'm homesic, but my wife's trying to talk me into going Al.

I've got a $100 chip at home from Harrah's I need to cash and that would help pay for gas. Tryin' to talk myself into this.. :mrgreen: :Fire:

Pat, I'm bringing four rifles, two pistols, and plenty of ammo. You may use any or all of them. Also, your pre 64 might shoot like a house afire with my precision loads if you don't have time to load some. You will meet a lot of great people at the shoot, and there is nothing like a road trip with 9.3X62 AL. Also, it's not polite to turn down a gift adventure from SWMBO. (Have I given enough reasons yet?)

cobbmtmac
06-16-2007, 04:18 PM
PAT,
I too would like to see you there. I will have a few rifles and real quality Ammo as I learned the ART of boolit casting and loading from onceabull and NVcurmudgeon:twisted: Oh, I didn't mean to scare you!
You and I are really only a few hours apart. I will also share with you where I get Marlin trigger work done very reasonabley:Fire:

ammohead
06-18-2007, 09:44 AM
I will be in Winnemucca friday. Either at the griddle for lunch or the pig for dinner. Al are you still planning on camping?

ammohead

NVWalt
06-18-2007, 03:26 PM
This is so great. I have been looking forwards to this for a very long time it seems.
Thank you very much Bruce for all your headaches and hard work to get this all organized.
I will be bringing a bunch of steel to clang at. Always fun.
I will also be getting there on Wednesday after I hunt my way from Eureka to Carlin and am sure looking forward to meeting all you great people...Walt

Buckshot
06-18-2007, 09:52 PM
.............I sure hope alla youse guys and gals have a great time. I sure wish I was making the trip. At least I'll see pictures! Won't I? I WILL GET TO SEE PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????

................Buckshot

Urny
06-18-2007, 11:25 PM
Kinda looks like I'll be in Buckshot's shoes, too. At work we are in the middle of a major shutdown, turnaround or changeover at some other mines I guess, that was supposed to end the 20th, but things have not gone as planned and now looks like the 23rd. Since I like my job and want to keep it, that's where I'll be. If it does end the 23rd, may be able to make it for a while Sunday. Need to make lease payments and return some books, dontcha know, and would rather do that in person than by mail. Today was the eighth 12 hour day, and I plan on being real tired by Saturday. Best of luck to you all, have a great time.

onceabull
06-19-2007, 12:30 AM
I'm still hauling south some treasures for your eval.,so perhaps that may prove sufficient incentive to bring you west for a short time:,ALSO we are willing to put up a can of Buckhorn or similar value-priced brew to help you celebrate this milestone B'day..[smilie=1: Mr & Mrs Onceabull

NVcurmudgeon
06-19-2007, 01:08 AM
Rick, you need not worry about pictures. Among the CobbMtnMac/Onceabull contingent there will be at least two photographers. Sure beats the days when I brought my throwaway camera, took two muddy pictures, and then forgot about it in the excitement of socializing and shooting.

urny, we will all miss you. Just make sure you send Linda and her Savage to keep a bench warmed up for your Sunday arrival!

BruceB
06-19-2007, 08:42 PM
Well, it looks like we're about set.

It's very sad indeed that so many regulars will be missing, but I reckon that's the breaks I guess. We are especially sorry that 45nut's non-attendance is caused by his extreme physical troubles. Sorry, Ken.....

Looking forward to Friday.

BruceB
06-19-2007, 08:50 PM
double post

cobbmtmac
06-19-2007, 09:50 PM
Buckshot !

As NVcurmudg. says, I will take lots of pics and I am sure Mrs. onceabull will also. she sends hers on to me, then I try to pick out the good ones form both of us.

I have your addresses and will e-mail them to you. then if you wish I will send copies by USPS to you.

Sorry you and Urny and other can't be there. You guys will be missed.

See all that can be there soon !!! :Fire:

9.3X62AL
06-20-2007, 12:47 AM
Another casualty of circumstances reporting in here.

The move has gone OK, all things considered. We have about half the boxes emptied and their contents in place. A couple rude surprises kind of blind-sided us, though---in addition to the stove we knew about, the washer and dryer will need immediate replacement after 18 years of HARD use by self and the Amazon Horde. Can't kick on that, both machines paid for themselves years ago. The nail in the coffin today was Marie's Jeep--some kinda electronics anomaly, and there will be a delay before the shop can get to it. Marie has a couple critical interviews over the next few days, with possible follow-ups. I can't leave her car-less......so we gotta pass on NCBS. Just too many issues and not enough time to address them all.

Not happy here, but Marie and I will be doing a road trip into ID and MT in July, so we'll be able to return molds and pay rent to Onceabull and say hello to several friends along the way--more on that as time goes on.

onceabull
06-20-2007, 12:58 AM
9.3x62AL: getting a drop out almost daily, I'm thinking of leaving tomorrow in order to avoid this plague/virus/ ad.naus... Will pluck out the mould for lease we are committed to,,and a couple more that were "surprise" temptation and hold them here.... We do hope you can come calling later in the summer ,as it appears your "move" IS NOT TO sw Idaho..drat to that news,too...:( . Onceabull :(

PatMarlin
06-20-2007, 01:42 AM
No problem AL..

Figured something had happened and it's for the best anyway as I have to finish this job, and decided to have an open house this weekend, and git it sold.

Missed the shoot last year and my coastal fishing, and the same thing's happening this year and it's mainly because of being short on income plain and simple.. :roll:

NVcurmudgeon
06-20-2007, 03:17 AM
Another casualty of circumstances reporting in here.

The move has gone OK, all things considered. We have about half the boxes emptied and their contents in place. A couple rude surprises kind of blind-sided us, though---in addition to the stove we knew about, the washer and dryer will need immediate replacement after 18 years of HARD use by self and the Amazon Horde. Can't kick on that, both machines paid for themselves years ago. The nail in the coffin today was Marie's Jeep--some kinda electronics anomaly, and there will be a delay before the shop can get to it. Marie has a couple critical interviews over the next few days, with possible follow-ups. I can't leave her car-less......so we gotta pass on NCBS. Just too many issues and not enough time to address them all.

Not happy here, but Marie and I will be doing a road trip into ID and MT in July, so we'll be able to return molds and pay rent to Onceabull and say hello to several friends along the way--more on that as time goes on.

Allen, been holding fingers crossed that your move would go well and that you'd make the shoot. I guess one out of two is about all that can be expected. I'm sure all will miss you at the shoot. Please stop in Pleasant Valley one or both directions of your July trip.

BruceB
06-20-2007, 09:10 AM
[QUOTE=9.3X62AL;......so we gotta pass on NCBS. Just too many issues and not enough time to address them all.

Well, damn. Just.............damn.

NVcurmudgeon
06-20-2007, 08:51 PM
Been a dither all week. NCBS is almost here and I wasn't ready! Suddenly, the last practice/sight in shoot went well today, picked up the last two trifles for trophies and targets on the way home from the range. Surveying the shop I can see a mere five guns to clean, only 103 cartridges to load, and the easy final trophy assembly to do. Miracle of miracles, the clays for the team shoot are drilled and ready to go with zero breakage! This year, instead of the WW White Flyers, I got Champion Targets for $4 a box less. In past years I did well to not destroy a quarter of each box of White Flyers. Hah! I knew Winchester could not be trusted since they trashed the Model 70 back in 1964. Might even wash the truck tomorrow.

ammohead
06-20-2007, 09:00 PM
Al,

Where did you move to? I haven't been reading much lately. Get any closer to NV?

ammohead

9.3X62AL
06-20-2007, 09:19 PM
I WISH it was closer to NV........the place is about 10 miles further east out I-10 and into the hills away from town, Cherry Valley. LOTS quieter than the old place, if I gotta stay here a while--it's a better site. Bigger lot, smaller house. Lots of reasons for staying around here, none of which are satisfactory to me--but there it is there.

I am pretty bummed about this whole thing, best to just stay low and keep dark.

PatMarlin
06-20-2007, 09:53 PM
Well let me say I've seen Al's new neighborhood personally a few weeks ago and the area is BEAUTIFUL!! :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:

I think a big woooo hooooo is in order ...[smilie=w:

And- don't let missing the match take away to much from the excitement Al.. :mrgreen: :drinks:

BruceB
06-20-2007, 11:23 PM
Among all the various bits of less-than-great news, we just had a VERY pleasant surprise.

Having just gotten home from the mine, and getting well into my first Bloody Caesar, there comes a knock on the door.

It is no less than ben1025 and wife Jean from Colorado!!!! Yep, they're installed in their fifth-wheeler in the Model T RV Park, across the street from the Flying Pig, site of the Friday night opening festivities, and it seems they may stay for at least the first day of the Shoot. We had a fine old gab-fest, catching-up on the several years that have passed since we were last together. Ben brought me at least a hundred pounds of assorted brass, plus a full jug of 5010 to pleasure myself with. Christmas in June......

Did I mention that there's also a gun show in town this weekend??? It'll be small, but a couple years ago I found one of my most-treasured firearms at a VERY good price at this same small show....

onceabull
06-21-2007, 12:40 AM
Bruce: What a grand surprise,and we look forward to seeing Ben & Jean again.. Last time for the Onceabulls was our second attendance,NCBS'03...memory says that those born right can fttt find the "deal of a lifetime" on a mould at the Winnemucca G.S.,so I'm hoping the stars are right for me,this time.... [smilie=1: Onceabull

Buckshot
06-21-2007, 04:03 AM
............Al stopped by the range Tuesday while on his way to check on Marie's 'Non-Starting' Jeep. The boy was bummed :-) I was just packing up but he laid the moving woes on me. Basicly help that showed up wasn't much help and most of what did get done wasn't right, and then the car issue. Bummer. Stuff sometimes comes in clumps.

..............Buckshot

PatMarlin
06-21-2007, 09:42 AM
That sucks. I bet if I was down there, I could trouble shoot the Jeep problem. Moving sucks no matter how ya slice it. Hang in there Al!!

THis has been the craziest year yet for my wife and I. Major family issues, and by the time I get back home, my wife will have to leave and take care of her grandmother with cancer... :roll:

ammohead
06-21-2007, 10:59 PM
I WISH it was closer to NV........the place is about 10 miles further east out I-10 and into the hills away from town, Cherry Valley. LOTS quieter than the old place, if I gotta stay here a while--it's a better site. Bigger lot, smaller house. Lots of reasons for staying around here, none of which are satisfactory to me--but there it is there.

I am pretty bummed about this whole thing, best to just stay low and keep dark.

Al,

Hop a redeye to Reno. I'll pick you up in the morning and we'll go east! Or for the price of a ticket, go rent something and get your toochas up here. Either way is bound to cure any moving blues.

ammohead

redneckdan
06-22-2007, 08:37 AM
THis has been the craziest year yet for my wife and I.

I hear ya. This last year has just been insane.

PatMarlin
06-22-2007, 08:50 AM
Guess like Sinatra used to sing "That's Life".. [smilie=1:

9.3X62AL
06-22-2007, 03:44 PM
Marie and I finished last night, with the last load looking like a "Grapes of Wrath" re-make. Nothing fell off or broke.

Ammohead, that was one tempting offer......but I don't dare. The Jeep problem will wait until this evening, too hot after I woke up to be turning wrenches. Mostly, I'm bone-tired......and if I had to find ammo in a specific caliber for a shoot, I'd be hard-put to find it right now. The Burrito Shoot is 22's this coming week, so I can stop by Wal-Mart for consumables. THAT was good news frfom Buckshot, for sure!

You guys enjoy The Pig tonight......I'll be their in spirit!

BruceB
06-23-2007, 12:31 AM
Some were so eager to get things started that they showed-up at The Griddle (one o'clock appointment) at noon...they had some lame excuses, but nobody believed 'em. Seems like the tall stories have gotten an early start, too.

After a nice long lunch and much BS-ing at the Griddle, we moved down to Brown's Hardware and picked up 16 8-foot tables and a bunch of folding chairs.

All hands then drove to the shooting site, just four miles from downtown, and I must admit to some surprise at the depth of the enthusiasm displayed by everyone. We have a nice level firing line, with berms or mounds for easy spotting of impacts at 50, 100 and 200 yards. NVWalt is staying on-site and the weather is clear and hot, so we left the tables and chairs set up overnight. We're planning to rig some tarps and such for sunshades, and we should be quite comfortable.

Tomorrow morning, a friend is bringing in an ATV to ease the hauling of heavy steel target elements over the very soft sand out to the 200-yard berm. Also, there's a gun show in town, opening at 9 am, so we'll likely have a rather gradual beginning to the shooting tomorrow. (Ammohead has already surrendered to "new-gunitis", buying a new Taurus .45 Single Action at a VERY nice price. It's an impressive piece, and much nicer than most Colt Single Action Army revolvers I've seen of late.)

Nice dinner at the Flying Pig. I think some would have liked to get to know our waitress a bit better; she's a dolly indeed.

More after tomorrow's day at the range. Might get some comments from others once they arrive here at our casa for the Saturday-evening BBQ.....pork baby back ribs with all the trimmings. I must have bought at least 35 pounds of ribs in Reno last Monday for this occasion.

BruceB
06-23-2007, 10:04 PM
Hello all,

There is a big bike rally here on Memorial weekend they call Runamucca! Well this weekend is definately Gunamucca! It was hot, but the wind held off till later than usual but it did show. The range is more than adequate and our host/landowner joined us for quite a bit of the day and was very enthusiastic about the goings on. It is refreshing to see a person that eager to help out strangers period, much less strangers with guns. He had fun shooting my 7-30 waters and I am sure other's guns as well.

NV Walt brought out his golfball mortor complete with carriage and elevation adjustment. A cute piece of work and fun to touch off. First such device since Buckshot brought his to the original NCBS at Topaz back in 2000. It seems that each year we spend more time BSing and less time shooting. But shoot we did. All manner of firearms and a huge variety of targets at 25, 50, 100 and 200 yards. This range has potential of distances of 600 yards plus if laid out right. It would be awesome to see that happen.

To those who for whatever reason couldn't make it you were sorely missed. All exc ept Buckshot. With NVWalt and Jaremy here for competition I don't any the extra distraction of another sharpshooter to watch out for.

Getting ready for a meal of BBQ baby back ribs prepared by KarenB...the hostess with the mostest. This woman really knows how to feed and please a crowd. The smells coming from the kitchen are quite distracting.

Wish you all were here.

ammohead

BruceB
06-25-2007, 10:38 AM
The Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot is all over for another year.

After the trials and tribulations of getting this edition off the ground, it was a relief to see it get under way and run successfully. For next year, what we have to do is set the date EARLY (like, within maybe a month from now?) and then reservations can be obtained equally-early so that we don't have to worry about being pushed out by other groups.

I wouldn't mind sharing a weekend with the Jehovah's Witnesses, who are certainly well-behaved and sober citizens. Run-a-Mucca, with over a thousand bikers in town over Memorial Day weekend, is quite another kettle of fish altogether. The thinking among our attendees this weekend seems to lean to the first or second weekend after Memorial Day, putting the Shoot earlier in June but without the weather-uncertainties of May (with possible rain etc.)

That time of year would probably see excellent weather, with perhaps somewhat-lower peak temperatures than we had this weekend just past. It really wasn't too bad at all, with highs of around 91 on Saturday and (estimating, here) a little less hot on Sunday....maybe mid-to-high 80s. The wind came up shortly after each noon-hour, which combined with a few shade shelters to make it very tolerable even for this fugitive from the Arctic.

So....comments please about an early-June date for next year?

There was a lot of discussion and remembering of "absent friends". Those who couldn't make it this year were fondly recalled and many tales were recounted of good times past...a few not terribly complimentary but VERY humorous! Ammohead, who seems to add a lot to the history and flavor of our Shoots, made a very interesting expedition to the Mineshaft Bar, with photos to prove his stories of the "clothing optional" barmaid.

The shooting site was simply wonderful, and since the owner has been talking of some improvements he wants to make FOR THE NCBS for next year, it seems that we might have found a new home for the event. The firing line could be extended for over a hundred yards if we want just by setting-out more tables, and there are excellent backstop berms at 100 and 200 yards. My prediction of "somebody" getting stuck was proven correct only at the very last minute, as TimB managed to get his truck into the soft stuff as we were loading-up the gear after the shooting was over. Ammohead's Durango made short work of getting him out again.

NVWalt, out of eastern Nevada, was our only newbie for this year, but as is usual in such cases, he fitted seamlessly into the group and all of us enjoyed his company. He brought along a HERD of IHMSA animal targets, from full-scale down to the little .22 silhouettes, and the steel critters endured a whole lot of attention. Most of them were positioned from 25 to 100 yards, but two full-size rams were on the 200-yard mark and also got thoroughly tenderized with cast bullets.

Since I forgot to write down all the results (I do have them on the scoreboard which is BURIED in my van) I'll hit some of the events I do recall.

NVCurmudgeon's son Jaremy won no less than three rifle events. His winning 100-yard scope-sight group was...get this....0.95"!!! He also won the Long-Range Event, fired off-hand at 200 on a rectangular steel target of about 20"x24", I believe. Curmudgeon fired an opening score of 4-hits-for-5-shots, which Jaremy equaled. Both made hits on the first tie-breaker shot, both missed on their second tie-breaker, then Curmudgeon missed on his third shot and lost to Jaremy who hit with his third shot of the tie-breaker. Remember, this was done with iron sights, standing, and with a wind gusting to about 20 mph.....and they both shot the same Springfield!

NVWalt won at least one handgun event with his array of single-shots and revolvers, and it was very pleasant to see our new friend have success at his first NCBS. Cobbmtnmac and ammohead also covered themselves with glory, winning events with impressive performances.

One thing is obvious from this Shoot, and that is the need for WRITTEN 'rools' for the event. Trying to do it from memory at the Rools Kommittee meeting, or thinking one thing when others believe something else, doesn't work. So, there will be a preliminary set of simple regs drawn up before the next Shoot, posted here for discussion and then printed for distribution before the firing starts. Nothing elaborate or detailed like an NRA rulebook (shudder) but just an easy-to-understand description of WHAT we're gonna do, and HOW we're gonna do it.

The small number of shooters (and the GALE of wind) made the scheduled team events a bit pointless, so they weren't fired. We'll get 'em next year.

It's safe to say that we had a heck of a fine time. The presence of the gun-show in town led to a rather leisurely start, as folks trickled in after visiting that venue, which opened at 9 am Saturday. As in years past, a major part of the enjoyment was derived from the wide-ranging discussions held under those shady shelters. Still, I managed to fire a LOT of ammo over the two days, particularly getting a bunch of fun out of shooting that full 200-yard distance from Der Schuetzenwagen. My rifles haven't been this well zeroed in years! It was also a re-education in the effects of wind on a relatively slow-moving cast projectile.

Thanks to all who attended; each of you contributed a lot by just being there and being yourselves. I hope maybe Curmudgeon can give us more detail on the winners, and others add their impressions as well, because 'I' am gonna put my aching feets up for awhile today before heading to work tonight.

9.3X62AL
06-25-2007, 01:36 PM
I surely regret having to miss this year's edition of NCBS. I like the idea of setting the date WAY ahead, to enable hotel reservations well ahead of whoever wants to fill the inns otherwise. The whole idea of traveling on a holiday weekend has ZERO APPEAL to this here boolit pourer.

Looking forward to hearing more about the shooting and story-telling. That 0.95" group says much about Jaremy's skill and the load integrity of its creator.

NVcurmudgeon
06-25-2007, 07:31 PM
Little to add to Bruce's comments from here. Socializing and food were of the highest interest with shooting a very close third. The new range site is perfect! The owner of the site is about the least "evil landlord" one could imagine. He is a hunter, shooter, and even a past PB pistol boolit caster. He spent some time in talking with us, and even did a little shooting. He had only one rule, "don't shoot at my house. " 9.3X62AL warned me that insisting on Jaremy visiting two weeks ago for practice was a mistake. Jaremy is always a contender in the long range rifle match. It was not unexpected that he might get the best CB group ever from my Ruger 77/Lilja .35 Waglen. There is plenty of accuracy left in a 40-50 year old Redfield Bear Cub scope. (Kudos to Buckshot for overhauling the NEI 220358 mould.) But Jaremy's greatest feat was IMO winning the iron sight rifle 50 yd. score event with my Marlin 44 Magnum Cowboy rifle. I have created a monster, but I can bask in reflected glory as his armorer! Special gratitude goes to our hosts, Bruce and Karen, for their matchless hospitality. Another bow goes to Tommy, who brought his ATV, which was an indispensible help in reaching the 200 yd. targets. My personal hero is NVWalt, his willingness to camp in a windy sandpit saved us from having to load up our borrowed tables and chairs, and all the steel targets Saturday night and respot them on Sunday morning. Is it too early to start planning next years NINTH annual NCBS?

NVWalt
06-25-2007, 09:00 PM
Have to add my two cents here.
What a great group of shooters I had the pleasure to meet. Each and every one of them, and their wives also.
Kudo's to Jaremy on his superb skills as a marksman and being a fine young gentleman to boot. Curmudgen, you did well with him and as his personal armorer you deserve just a little credit to supplying Jaremy with fine shooting guns.
Can't say enough about Bruce B and all the work he went through to get this event rolling and pulled off.
I wanted to very much go to the BBQ and told Jaremy to eat my share and then come back and tell me how great the food was and too bad I stayed at the range to play watchman. All part of paying your dues and I was glad to help as I could.
Everybody shot great at one time or another, just not when it came to "When it Counted" . I did shoot Tim's 50 Army and what a belly gun that is and I was glad to be able to put a round through a true piece of history. Seems every one there had an interesting toy or two for me to see. I loved it.
Wind and sand were fun. When I went to bed Saturday night I had sand everywhere, I thought, until morning when I broke camp and started sweeping it out of my tent. I felt like a Bedouin, or however you spell it, and had quite the sand dune swepted up.
Sundays dinner was great and I finally got to socialize with the guys and their wives a little and actually ended up with a couple of the " Coveted and Prestigious" Golden Wheelweight awards. I was indeed honored and although my shooting was lacluster at best, it kinda shows you what kinds of winds we all had to deal with.
Listening to the guys talk(?) about those unfortunate enough to be unable to attend I came to realize that there's just a few more of you out there I would like to have the pleasure to meet.
I hope you can make it next year as I have no choice but to attend as I have a couple molds leased from Onceabull and am committed to having another great time. Thank you all for being some of the best shooters I have had the pleasure to meet and to be able to put faces and personalities to your handles.....Walt

sundog
06-25-2007, 10:20 PM
Pics for castpics? webmaster at castpics dot net

ammohead
06-26-2007, 01:35 AM
One thing is obvious from this Shoot, and that is the need for WRITTEN 'rools' for the event.

BruceB,

I couldn't disagree more. Only need 2 rules.

1. must be a cast bullet
2. no whining

You are all probably tired of hearing that I was the founder of this event...but I had a couple of ideas of what I wanted the 2000 version of the competition to be like. I wanted all of us to get together and shoot, shoot, shoot and at the end of it all the best groups and or scores should be recognized. Seems like lately there is some kind of paranoia about people cheating to win prizes. Was a time when I had to load for 3 teenage boys as well as myself for this event and each one ended up with about 50 rounds of one loading for one rifle. I am sure those with children can identify. Also this year I saw Mac's wife stepping up to the fireline to have some fun. If people falling into this catagorie put five shots together in a tight group with a witness looking on they should be able submit those groups for measurement. There should be no need among honorable men to have stickers put on targets ahead of time stating what catagorie, rifle, shooter etc. If someone witnesses the group it stands period!

It was stated that if you don't have a designated target for a given competition that all the pressure is off. If you start a group with a ten or an x ring the pressure to do it again is immediate! If a shooter shows up with one gun and 100 rounds of one load why should his .75" five shot group witnessed sometime during the day keep him out of recognition.

Let's not turn this shoot into a competition where only the craftsmen have the advantage. Heck I know of people who are actually weighing their boolits for this event. To put things in another perspective if the only chance you have is 5 shots from one rifle at a predesignated target, the man who weighs his boolits definately has a marked advantage. Of course we all have the option of weighing our boolits too. I say allow any "witnessed group or score" for consideration and the boolit weighers will still have the advantage of higher quality components, while the hobbyist still has the opportunity to put 5 run of the mill rounds in a nice tight group for recognition. Even if it is because he was relaxed and having fun.

The idea that someone is going to sit down and shoot group after group just to turn in the best one as a winner is easily disproved...just try it! The longer you shoot the worse the groups get usually. It can also be said...."Well he just got plain dumb lucky with that group" SO WHAT! it's still a dang nice group and shouldn't be thrown out because the shooter didn't premark his target. I say a group is a group and none should be discounted at NCBS. Stating ahead of time that we all would prefer that a shooter didn't simply "cherry pick" groups is enough, and we can all stand by each others honor to turn in groups and scores accordingly.

I like the idea of having witnesses to each turned in entry. I haven't heard anyone complain about this practice and it promotes commradery between shooters.

There are enough venues available to those that need a sanitary competition. I say lets keep NCBS a shooting event first, that at the end recognizes the fine groups and scores of the day.

Don't like to think of this as a rant, but I will get off my soapbox now!

ammohead

45nut
06-26-2007, 01:53 AM
Ammohead has it I think, this is more of a in person postal match where we have all got together and BS'd in between runs.
Pure stinking luck is wonderful, let me tell ya. What could be more pure luck than borrowing a rifle and 5 rounds of ammo and shooting sub inch groups on two separate occasions? Sure, I know how to pull triggers like everyone else but the odds of duplicating a borrowed rifle win are pretty long indeed.
Postal matches with a BBQ and company such as I have met in the past at NCBS cannot be measured in miles or acres nor can it be weighed to the grain such as can be done with "match ammo" and a sub inch group can be whiffed away by a wisp of wind or sighted wrong via a sandy mirage. Luck and timing and good company all come together in gathering in those Golden WW's. Only the good company matters in the real measure of a NCBS to me.
The Golden WW's are but a bonus, the goal is to be among friends.

45nut
06-27-2007, 06:08 PM
Any pics avail yet?

cobbmtmac
06-28-2007, 04:02 PM
:Fire: What a great time !!!

Marlene is suggesting a Rifle and a Pistol event for the Ladies for 2008? (Like a 50 Yd. Rifle group event and a Offhand pistol event) When she hears a resounding YES, Karen, Lori, Linda and anyone else who is willing, get ready for a few reminding e-mails from her. Oh, Marjorie, Marlene and onceabull's mother, (those of you that have not met her, she will be 91 in September) says,"we need to have a Sawed Off Shotgun event for her"!!!

NO PICS YET, I will start working on them soon. I am not real fast, but it shouldn't be to long. After editing I will put them on a disc. I will send a copy to all in attendence and to those that have already requested and to those that request them in the future.

To: Bruce & Karen B.
Again, thank you so much for the work you do for all of us. Everything, the Range, the Dinning Out, Your Hospitality, the Wonderful Bar-B-Que and Deserts at your home. You two are appreciated by all.

To: everyone else, thanks for the great time, we can't wait to do it all over again !!!

onceabull
06-28-2007, 05:12 PM
NCBS '07 is in the record books,..great credits again for our super hosts,the Bannisters...going home (north) uneventful until the hwy 95 upper crossing @ Cow Creek ( twixt Burns Junc. & Rome, Orygun) Both lanes blocked for some time[smilie=1: s as Lumber hauler going south tried the turn onto the bridge at speed..took out 40+feet of guardrail,kept trailer on the road but separated, spilled about half that each way (off/on road) all the shake n/bake broke bonds on front half,as cab exited pavement on opposite side but fairly level there so only put top of load on pavement.. tough place to have to find unoccupied workmen to clear things up.. ---idea for Sis's all Femme rifle match ,NCBS '08,,---each entrant uses same rifle/load..BruceB's 404 Jeffrey, I'm thinking that after first shot,they will all agree to a 3 shot group contest...AND big thank You to BruceB for letting me shoot that one all I wanted ,,(2 shots)[smilie=1: Onceabull

cobbmtmac
07-16-2007, 11:30 PM
SEE Competition and Results........Dilemma ncbs....2007 for Pictures of NCBS 2007 Event. :Fire: