PDA

View Full Version : Them cast boolits will shoot!

texas tenring
12-12-2006, 09:18 PM
Well I finally won one of my clubs military matches this past Sunday. I've been in the money a few times and won the bench rest pot several times but my new cast boolits finally got the job done.

I was shooting my Finn 91/30, 7.62X54R with the Lee C185-312-R Gas check boolit straight wheel weight air cooled non sized and tumble lubed with Lee LA. Powder was 2400 at 18grs. and OAL 2.860 seating depth seemed to be key in getting this load to shoot, velocity averaged 1670fps.

The matches consist of two five round bench rest targets and one ten round standing man target all at 100yds. Any as issued military rifle with iron sights. My smallest group in this match was just under 1.5" check out the results at the following link. http://flanders.pippin.ch/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=391&PN=1

I am new to boolit casting but with all the good advice on these forums its made taking on a new challenge a pleasure without all the blind stupid mistakes of doing it on your own.

David

mag_01
12-12-2006, 09:29 PM
David that is the magic load----18grs. of 2400-----Good shooting on your part--------- that load works well in all of my Mosin Nagant's.---Mag

carpetman
12-12-2006, 10:23 PM
Texastenring---Congrats on winning the match. Now I know a fellow Texan did it the real way and used bullets cast on a buffalo dung fire. Well you did didnt you?

Char-Gar
12-12-2006, 10:59 PM
Texastenring... Where abouts in the Panhandle are you. I used to live in Pampa and Booker and have traveled most of the area? I am guessing Amarillo.

texas tenring
12-12-2006, 11:01 PM
Of course Carpetman every Texan worth anything knows buffalo dung is the most consistant heat source!!! Mesquite wood is a good second choice in a pinch and you can cook those thick buffalo steaks in between casting and a cold beer:drinks:

texas tenring
12-12-2006, 11:03 PM
Charger I'm in Plainview.

carpetman
12-12-2006, 11:20 PM
Texastenring--Charger I'm in Plainview. Yes you are I can see you well. Oh btw we have a Chargar and a Charger(not sure they might be twins--but they sure look alike-hard to tell em apart)

carpetman
12-13-2006, 12:40 AM
texastenring---Now that it is established you are in plainview and we all can see you-go put some clothes on.

texas tenring
12-13-2006, 01:09 AM
Funny?:coffee:

lovedogs
12-30-2006, 10:58 PM
T-T... congrats on your win. Of course cast bullets can be accurate. All records in the distant past were set with lead. I'm not poo-pooing your accuracy but if my Buffalo Classic shot 1 1/2 in. groups I'd think it was broke. It will shoot under an inch all day long with cast 500 grainers, and that's using either a 3X scope or Shaver Long-Range aperture sights. Several times on perfect days at the silhouette range I've had groups of around 5 1/2 inches at a half-mile; our buffalo is at 876 yds. so that's well under MOA. That ain't too shabby with iron sights. So you can bet on lead shooting well if you hit the right load!

Char-Gar
12-31-2006, 07:22 AM
My Grandaddy used to say... "West Texas is the only place a woman can bath in Sweetwater, dry off in Seymore and dress in Plainview".

Tenring..Everybody in Plainview still highly pissed at Jimmy Dean. I remember some years back Jimmy opened his sausage plant there in Plainview and encourage local folks to go into hog production. Many did on borrowed money and them Jimmy pulled up stakes and moved his operation leaving them with big bank notes and no market for their hogs. I am talking 20 to 30 years ago.

texas tenring
01-01-2007, 11:32 PM
My Grandaddy used to say... "West Texas is the only place a woman can bath in Sweetwater, dry off in Seymore and dress in Plainview".

Tenring..Everybody in Plainview still highly pissed at Jimmy Dean. I remember some years back Jimmy opened his sausage plant there in Plainview and encourage local folks to go into hog production. Many did on borrowed money and them Jimmy pulled up stakes and moved his operation leaving them with big bank notes and no market for their hogs. I am talking 20 to 30 years ago.

Yeah I have Aunt and Uncle that had a egg farm about 2000 chickens for many years and they expanded into hogs up to 900. The whole thing went broke when the hog market was gone.

I think the comunity must of got over it though because the city gave Jimmy Dean his honorary High School diploma this last year and they put home of Jimmy Dean back up on one of the water towers also his picture on the cover of the local phone book.

texas tenring
01-03-2007, 12:46 AM
T-T... congrats on your win. Of course cast bullets can be accurate. All records in the distant past were set with lead. I'm not poo-pooing your accuracy but if my Buffalo Classic shot 1 1/2 in. groups I'd think it was broke. It will shoot under an inch all day long with cast 500 grainers, and that's using either a 3X scope or Shaver Long-Range aperture sights. Several times on perfect days at the silhouette range I've had groups of around 5 1/2 inches at a half-mile; our buffalo is at 876 yds. so that's well under MOA. That ain't too shabby with iron sights. So you can bet on lead shooting well if you hit the right load!

Thanks! lovedogs. I'm new to shooting cast boolits but I have been shooting for a good while. I know that not every rifle is capable of shooting 1moa but that is what I strive for. The rifle that I used in this match is a 1938 Tula Finn Capture Mosin Nagant, and not in pristine condition!, shot as issued, iron sights, no trigger work and match time went from fog to passing clouds to wind. Anybody that shoots open sights knows how light affects your site picture. The rifle and load are capable of close to 1moa groups in good conditions. I've shot good groups with $21 a box full length gas check bullets(Sierra Match) but I was just tickled that my melted wheel weights that I made shot that well. Being a newbie caster I guess I had bought into the crap that lead cast can't shoot that accurately. I'm having a blast reading, asking questions and learning from this site. I'll be casting for pistols and deer and pig hunting in the future but right now I'm enjoying shooting surplus rifles anywhere from 60 to 110 years old and trying to make them shoot. By the way I shot a .82" 5 rd group 100yds with that 110 year old rifle in a match. I shot several 1" groups in practice before but when you do it in cometetion it is really sweet. That .82 group was not with cast but then I have'nt tried cast in that rifle yet.

lovedogs I think you are talking about the H&R Buffalo Classic If so that is pretty good shooting and a good shooting rifle. I have a NEF handi rifle in 243 shoots good but it shoots different from cold barrel to warm barrel I finally waited for barrel to cool between every shot to sight in. I shot a deer at 400yds one shot two years ago with it. I'm confident where the first shot will go.