PDA

View Full Version : 230 gn swc 45 acp oal

GNILOP
04-17-2011, 03:49 PM
:cbpour:

YEP I IS HOOKED ON CASTING & BLASTING!
I am kind of new to this game and got a 6 cavity 230 gr SWC mold for my 45 ACP and have not shot it yet but cannot find what the COL for that boolit is! No information shown on any of the loading manuals for 230 SWC! Has info on 200 gr but that's it!
I like the idea of making my own and shooting same. Weather is lousy in Ohio so I have mucho time to melt & belt.

gray wolf
04-17-2011, 04:05 PM
Sorry, I have never seen a 230 grain SW for a 45 ACP. if others say the same perhaps a little more info or a picture would help.

biker_trash_1340
04-17-2011, 04:09 PM
Hello,
This may help, not sure if this is the one you have. Not a lot of info on that one.... (look @ atakawow post in the link)

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-522778.html

pics @

<<< http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa91/atakawow/IMG_0258.jpg >>>

<<< http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa91/atakawow/IMG_0259.jpg >>>

<<< http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa91/atakawow/IMG_0255.jpg >>>

RobS
04-17-2011, 06:07 PM
What brand/company is your mold that these 230 grain SWC's are coming from?

mpmarty
04-18-2011, 10:42 AM
pull the barrel out of your pistol and use the chamber as a way to measure the proper seating depth. Also, make sure the magazine will take them.

frkelly74
04-18-2011, 10:59 AM
Maybe it is the truncated cone boolit. If that is true you will probably need to seat the boolit so that the shoulder angle of the boolit is flush with the case mouth. I have had problems with the round chambering if the boolit is not seated in this manner. Also , only crimp the case enough to take out the bell and not to the extent of resizing the boolit down. It works well but can be trickey.

plainsman456
04-18-2011, 12:42 PM
+2 on pulling your barrel and using it as a gauge to seat your boolits.

Doby45
04-18-2011, 12:47 PM
The COL is the least of your worries. I would say that you need to set the boolit to the crimp groove like it shows in this picture.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa91/atakawow/IMG_0255.jpg

What you need to know is the POWDER CHARGE, especially with a boolit like that which consumes a lot of the case..

I would also say that even though there is a complete round shown in that picture it does not mean it is practical. That boolit looks like it was/is designed for the 45LC or some other higher capacity 45cal cartridge. I say that because it has a crimp groove, 45ACP boolits do not have a crimp groove.

This photo clearly shows the crimp groove.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa91/atakawow/IMG_0258.jpg

gray wolf
04-18-2011, 01:08 PM
Gonna be a Heep a bullet in the case.
It's not a 45 ACP bullet, PLEASE don't over charge the cases.
Better yet get the right bullets. seated to the crimp ring may put a little less bullet in the case but it may be to long to feed.
It's not a bullet for an Auto pistol, and not a true WC

GNILOP
04-18-2011, 02:55 PM
:cbpour:

YEP I IS HOOKED ON CASTING & BLASTING!
I am kind of new to this game and got a 6 cavity 230 gr SWC mold for my 45 ACP and have not shot it yet but cannot find what the COL for that boolit is! No information shown on any of the loading manuals for 230 SWC! Has info on 200 gr but that's it!
I like the idea of making my own and shooting same. Weather is lousy in Ohio so I have mucho time to melt & belt.

Thanks Group! Did some more looking & research and on the box in very small letters is TC 230, so I guess it is not a SWC after all, but still leaves me with C.O.A.L question, right now I have them at 1.270 and have not shot them in my old S&W 645 but by cycling the rounds from the clip (with out pulling the trigger- raining out here again) they seem to seat ok ! E Mail- garypoling64@Gmail.com

Doby45
04-18-2011, 02:59 PM
That is NOT a TC. It has a visible shoulder and a crimp groove. That is not for a 45ACP.

THIS is a 230gr TC for the 45ACP

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b327/Doby45/Capture-3.jpg

gray wolf
04-18-2011, 03:41 PM
DOBY45
I love it when your on the job.
But sometimes you just got to give it up.

Step # 1: Try just a little to take the advise of the people who are trying to help.
Step# 2: learn to identify the different bullets.
Step #3 : If you load wrong the first time it could be the last time.
Step # 4: Repeat 100 times " the folks at cast bullets want me safe and happy"

How could you still have a question on OAL if there loaded and stuck in a mag already ??

GNILOP
04-18-2011, 04:03 PM
That picture is the one i have been casting with a lee mold from midway, the 45 tc with one grove and bevel at the bottom for gas check.
Thanks so much, now if it ever stops raining !

Doby45
04-18-2011, 04:20 PM
That bevel is not for a gas check, you do not gas check 45ACP boolits. If it actually is a 230gr TC you should be safe at 1.20 for a COL.

RobS
04-18-2011, 07:48 PM
Fellas:
GNILOP's original post never gave us any pics to the boolit he was reloading and simply made a mistake in describing the design. I asked in post #4 what the mold manufacture was since he stated a 6 cavity and I figured it was a Lee mold which struck me as a possible mistake on his part since there is no 230 grain SWC in the Lee line up. Simply waiting for a response would have clarified things.

He has verified that he is using the Lee 6 cavity 45 cal 230 grain truncated boolit design.......NO BIG DEAL. Never the less I've seated this design at 1.20 for my XD and with the shorter COAL simply start at the minimum charge and work up.

Gary (GNILOP) I say if you have seated them so you can put them in the chamber and they are flush with the hood and they cycle your COAL is fine. Also providing more info and details will help us give you better/ more appropriate answers to your questions. Welcome to the forum. :guntootsmiley:

GNILOP
04-19-2011, 10:41 AM
To doby45 & RobS , I thank you for your help and the pic that Rob sent is EXACTLY what I have, I did screw up when I ordered it as I wanted the one mold above or below on the order page but only saw 45ACP I hope I have the correct powder charge of 6.2 gr of 800 X, any info on that would be appreciated too. And thank you for not talking down to this 70 year old newbe! I ordered a 200 gr SWC from Midway and is on the way now. I would hate to have to re melt the 230TC and throw away the one box already loaded. Thank you again and it's still raining up here in NE ohio. Damn rain.

RobS
04-19-2011, 11:13 AM
6.2 grains of 800X will be fine; the starting load for 230 grain Lead RN is 6.5 grains for 867 fps and at 15,100 CUP pressure according to the Hodgdon on-line reloading data center.
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Sounds like things should work for you.

Doby45
04-19-2011, 01:17 PM
Rob is also correct in the fact that I got confused by the post from biker_trash_1340 as I thought it was GNILOP that posted it. 1.20-1.25 should be fine for the 230gr TC.

GNILOP
04-19-2011, 04:46 PM
ONE LAST QUESTION FOR DOBY45 OR ROBS : I installed gas checks on the boolits when I re sized
them, for some reason I ordered them and seem to remember that it was a good idea, however the feedback from this website says the gas check is not used or needed. My question is that the gas check fits so nice on the beveled bottom of these 230 TC's and looks to be even down the side of the boolit, would it hurt anything to shoot them? I would hate to pull all the Gas Checks off if its not a problem - G Poling- still raining here in NE Ohio Damn rain!

mpmarty
04-19-2011, 04:52 PM
If they're checked shoot them. Dont put on any more checks.

RobS
04-19-2011, 05:37 PM
You'll be fine shooting the ones you put GC's on and it's interesting that you were able to swage on the GC to the Lee TC 230 design; I don't think many have tried that combo with the Lee design and probably due to the fact it's typically utilized for the 45 auto. Pressures are low in comparison for the 45 ACP cartridge and using a GC really isn't needed as mpmarty mentioned. A correctly fitted (boolit diameter) to bore PB or BB boolit works very well for the 45 auto.

Mavrick
04-19-2011, 06:33 PM
You shouldn't have any trouble at all by using those .45LC boolits, as long as they'll feed. You MAY have a bit of trouble with seating, but keep pushing them in until the slide closes. If your throat (actually the barrel's)lol, is long enough, you might not have trouble at all. Leave it at THAT length, and see if it'll feed...then you can vary the load some to get the load you want.
Good luck with the new mold, when it get's here, but you may not NEED the new one. The old one may be fine, whether or not it's origionally made for the ACP.
Have fun,
Gene

Mavrick
04-19-2011, 06:39 PM
The only problem I've had with the BB boolits, was that when I lubed them, there was more lube there than necessary, and the load smoked a bunch. Some of my molds didn't do anything, but those that did, I removed the BB. Part of the problem was the lube, part was the way I put it on...tumbled-, pan-, dip-, or lubra-sized.
Have fun,
Gene

gray wolf
04-19-2011, 07:22 PM
Wow I am sure glad this got taken care of. It sure is important to give as much info as possible.
Looks like the OP has a standard 45acp bullet and that's a good thing.
Once the dust settles and he gets out and shoots them he will be a happy man.
Gas checks ?? Hmm, interesting--learn something everyday.
Good luck to you and good shooting.

GNILOP
04-20-2011, 09:34 AM
Thanks all you guys for the feedback, OK . I only have one box of 230 TC loaded with gas checks and will have to pull all the other gas checks off of the other boolits, they stuck on there so good it looks like that bevel was made for it. Any way Marty hiding out in the hills I wish I could get to Oregon someday my bird dog would love it for pheasant. Been over seas but never got out west, Damn Rain. Gp