PDA

View Full Version : NEEDED: Brass Fairy (Well Almost)

GRUMPA
04-17-2011, 10:40 AM
I really didn't know where exactly to put something like this, but I hope this is as good as place as any. Like alot of folks that come to this site they pretty much roll their own. Well after living here in the boonies and rolling my own for personal use and we all know how sound travels, even though my nearest neighbor is 4mi away I get curious people stopping by. One thing leads to another and the next thing you know your asked to do theirs. I don't really mind it so much I got more time than money (like I'm sure most everyone). And for as big as this place is square miles wise isn't very populated, but seems info of any kind spreads faster than a google search.

The dilemma I'm facing is I'm trying to do things on a low budget format for them but this problem always comes up. Almost all of them want to stock up and make reserves available but don't have the brass (and money). I do the normal google searches but that used stuff regardless what co. sells it is only penny(s) cheaper per piece than if I were (or them) order brand new stuff off the net from a major reloading site. And this area is vast and for me their isn't a range that's within reasonable driving distance either I need to be able to do this via shipping co.'s.

Is this Part of the norm as far as this goes? I'd like to make things cheap for folks but this buying used stuff for almost the same price as new is frustrating.:coffeecom

btroj
04-17-2011, 10:45 AM
I actually find once fired brass to be much cheaper, at least for pistol cartridges. Sop around, cheaper brass is out there. For rifle it is much more difficult.
Look in the swapping/selling area here, I found some brass for a very reasonable price.

canyon-ghost
04-17-2011, 10:49 AM
The best thing I can tell you is that Starline Brass is the cheapest new: http://www.starlinebrass.com/

I've noticed the same thing, they want to stock up. Then, they have no brass. I'll let them buy ammunition off the store shelves. They always want a favor and no money until you have loaded rounds. I'm a kind hearted guy and like a lot of antiquated calibers but, dang it, I don't reload to furnish everything to someone else!

I'm pretty much NOT doing it.

Ron

Bad Water Bill
04-17-2011, 11:06 AM
Well I will be glad to help you get started reloading but due to laws and liability issues you will have to supply your own components and time. As you learn you can start buying your own equipment. At my age that is the best I can offer.

3006guns
04-17-2011, 11:09 AM
There are numerous places to get brass, but price comparisons are absolutely necessary. Just do a Google search using "once fired brass".

Here's one: http://www.bluestarbrass.com/

A lot of the problem stems from the price of all metals increasing in the last year or so. Placing a "wanted" ad on various websites can bring results too.

You could also make it pretty simple......tell your potential customer that they need to supply the components (brass, primers, bullets, powder) and you'll provide the service. That is, tell them to stockpile components instead of loaded ammo, so they bear the brunt of searching/buying. Might be an easier way to launch a small business.

Wayne Smith
04-17-2011, 03:37 PM
There are numerous places to get brass, but price comparisons are absolutely necessary. Just do a Google search using "once fired brass".

Here's one: http://www.bluestarbrass.com/

A lot of the problem stems from the price of all metals increasing in the last year or so. Placing a "wanted" ad on various websites can bring results too.

You could also make it pretty simple......tell your potential customer that they need to supply the components (brass, primers, bullets, powder) and you'll provide the service. That is, tell them to stockpile components instead of loaded ammo, so they bear the brunt of searching/buying. Might be an easier way to launch a small business.

That's what I do, unless it's a kid that I am mentoring. Especially if they want a premium bullet or something unusual. Then it's: "You buy it, you buy the dies and shell holder and when you want to learn to reload they will be yours."

I quit feeling sorry for the guys who want something for nothing long ago.

lylejb
04-17-2011, 05:47 PM
Without getting into the potential legal issuses (that can of worms has already been opened in other threads) I would tell them you need at least a down payment, enough to cover your costs.

If they can't come up with that, then they probably can't come up with the cash to pay for it when it's done, either.

http://store.brassmanbrass.com/servlet/StoreFront

Brassman brass has some good deals sometimes. It varies with what he has at the time.

canyon-ghost
04-17-2011, 07:21 PM
Good show, lylejb, brassman's prices are more in line with what it's worth. That's closer to what a guy would expect to pay for it.

Ron

Three-Fifty-Seven
04-17-2011, 08:01 PM
I agree, let them get the stuff . . . what kind/size brass you need?

Cherokee
04-17-2011, 08:34 PM
I loaded for a good friend for a while. It worked out OK but I'm older and wiser now - I would not do it unless he supplied all the components up front. Then, there is that nagging legal issue....what if something went wrong? And BATF can get into the picture too.

quilbilly
04-17-2011, 08:51 PM
I haunt the local shooting pits in the national forest almost every weekend on Sunday evenings. I almost never buy brass anymore and use my rockhounding tumbler to polish my finds. Last week I found my biggest treasure ever since I have been making 7mm TCU brass from 223's and soon will be starting to cast for 223 as well. My favorite brass for resizing is S&B and at at the shooting pit I found almost 300 rounds of once fired S&B cases in new condition (not even spotted from this spring's incessant rain). Among them I also found a couple dozen 41 mag cases as well as 30-30 all of which I cast boolits for. An afternoon bonanza!
Anyway, if you are shooting on the cheap like me, be patient and locate where the local shooting pits are.

plainsman456
04-17-2011, 09:51 PM
I load for about 15 folks.
The way I do it if I don't have the dies for their needs,they have to buy it,I get to keep them for part of my pay.
As far as the liability issue if you use your head and don't go for max loads and be real careful,check your work 2 or 3 times all should be well.
OH,I load for a lawyer and he is now the county D.A.,lots of shooters don't have the time and want a load they can't buy in the store.
I ask for their rifle while I am working up loads for them and they buy the bullets,primers and sometimes the brass from me.

BOOM BOOM
04-17-2011, 10:25 PM
HI,
At least 1/2 doz. guys on the board sell brass. Post a brass wanted thread.:Fire::Fire:

Buddy
04-17-2011, 10:37 PM
I do it the way plainsman456 does but go one step further. I make them sign a paper saying they are buying this stuff for components only. FWIW

GRUMPA
04-18-2011, 09:58 AM
It seems like a lot of members bring up things I've thought about before (legal, moral issues) on that subject. But I still have that nagging issue in that small part of my brain that wants to help others (its a week spot for me). I have posted in the WTB section on this site for the first time ever so I'll have to take that wait and see approach. But in the end for reasons pointed out and darn good ones at that, it seems I,ll have to take the you bring what I need and we'll go from there approach. And as far as going to the local shooting spots and picking up what people leave behind, well out here being as remote as it is, a lot of people can just step out the front door and do what they want, neighbors are for the most part are 1+ miles away.

I appreciate all the input from the members.

mroliver77
04-18-2011, 11:50 AM
Here in NW Ohio there is no shooting pits or free ranges etc. I go occasionally to a range to play IDPA and scrounge any brass that the owners don't want mostly 9mm .40S&W and .223. If I get an extra $50. (not often) I will SHOP for components. I only buy if it is a deal. I don't load for anybody but myself but a friend has the use of my casting loading setup. He will not do it without me though. It is nice ta have a loading buddy at times. We do a castathon with his son, him and I sometimes for .45. With 2 20lbers pots and 2 Star sizers we can dio a lot of boolits in an afternoon and share the different jobs so as to not become monotonous. I used to have guys save their brass for me but since the scrap price has gone up I don't see them any more. I pay better than the scrap dealers!
Jay

starmac
04-20-2011, 01:14 AM
check out starrealoader in the vendor sponsor section. The brass I have gotten from has been priced right and looks like new brass.

Rangefinder
04-20-2011, 01:51 AM
I've found most common folk shoot common brass AKA 9mm, 40S&W, 38sp, 357, 44 mag, 06, etc... Those are all over and can be found here, there, everywhere. Every once in a while--though rare--you get the one that has an odd-ball. My boss is one. He doesn't know the first thing about reloading but has a gorgeous .348 Winchester AI that I am currently setting up to load for (mainly so I can shoot it as much as he should and doesn't). Common cartridges are easy. Find a mid-range brass quote, figure components, work up a reasonable trade value for your time invested (I usually do components for my own stash), and have at it.

Bret4207
04-20-2011, 06:27 AM
I have found that very rarely does my "helping someone" work out for both of us. Someone always gets the shaft and it's always the same guy, Mr. Nice Guy. I've gotten rather miserable about it and while I don't like being that way, I seem to have less troubles that way.

My hat is off to you if you can stomach the issues that are sure to crop up.