View Full Version : what lube

LUCKYDAWG13
04-17-2011, 07:15 AM
hello what lube do you use for your muzzleloader
and what do you stor them in
thank you

gnoahhh
04-17-2011, 11:19 AM
For PRB target shooting/plinking I just use spit. I pre-soak the next patch in my mouth while loading and firing the previous shot. Good accuracy, cleans the bore for each shot, and is pretty cheap. For hunting, when the PRB will be down the pipe all day, I lube the patch with bear grease which I also use to lube shotgun wads.

Which reminds me. I'm running low. Anybody got any? (Bear grease that is. Spit I got!)

Marvin S
04-17-2011, 11:28 AM
Mink grease from TOW. Did use lots of Goose grease years ago, yep it was real goose grease and was great for leather use to.

northmn
04-17-2011, 11:49 AM
Like the others I use Bore Butter or Crisco for field patches where they will be left loaded for any length of time. Whether I will replace the Bore Butter when it is used up I do not know as I used Crisco for years. Range shooting I have used antifreeze, windshield washing fluid, some commercial lubes like Hoppes #9 plus and a green utility cleaner. Now I mostly sue Crisco or Bore Butter as I am testing field loads. Spit is good, but on a hot day I have run low. I used to keep a cup of water on the bench when I shot trap with the BP shotgun to soak the wads in, but grease the hunting wads in Crisco or Bore Butter. I know a few that have tried the Mink Oil from Track that really swear by it and may try it.

DP

NickSS
04-18-2011, 05:15 AM
For patched round balls I use spit for target shooting and when hunting I melt crisco and soak the patches in itm squeeze out the excess and let dry. For conicals I lube them with a lube of 40% bees wax, 40% Crisco and 20 % olive oil.

LUCKYDAWG13
04-18-2011, 05:30 AM
For patched round balls I use spit for target shooting and when hunting I melt crisco and soak the patches in itm squeeze out the excess and let dry. For conicals I lube them with a lube of 40% bees wax, 40% Crisco and 20 % olive oil.

your 40/40/20 lube mix do you pan lube or is this a rubb on like T/C borebutter

Shooter
04-18-2011, 08:01 AM
Bore butter is real good.
For several years I have used olive oil for a patch lube and in the barrel for storage.
Don't use it in the lock as it drys sticky.
Anything oranic will work, as long as it doesn't have salt in it.
Bear oil is supposed to be the best, but I don't know enough successful bear hunters.

Beagler
04-18-2011, 08:55 AM
For Round Balls I use HOPPE'S 9 PLUS Black Powder Solvent and Patch Lubricant. Its great I can shoot most of the afternoon and not have to clean the barrel. Its got Kerosene in it and pretty much shines up the barrel everytime it gets loaded.