PDA

View Full Version : Bp-solvent (ed's red)

walt53
04-16-2011, 03:59 PM
I was wondering how many of you loyal BP SHOOTER'S used ER TO CLEAN AND OIL YOUR BP gun's.And if so do you still use water to clean or just ER.Iwould very much appreciate hearing from evryone on there use's and technique's on using ED'S red to clean your gun's.ALL oppinion's apreciated,thank you WALT

Hanshi
04-16-2011, 05:57 PM
The best solvent is water, with or without soap. Clean with it, dry thoroughly and oil with your favorite rust preventative. Just remember to wipe the bore well prior to shooting.

Dan Cash
04-16-2011, 06:29 PM
I am one of those cartridge guys using black. I use water with a shot of dishwasher wetting agent added though plain water works well. When I get no more fouling, I dry and use Ed's Red. Don't wipe before firing as the fouling shot takes care of that.

gnoahhh
04-17-2011, 11:14 AM
Yep, I use Ed's Red for a lot of stuff, but do the initial cleaning with good old H2O and soap. I shot with Ed years ago in the early days of the CBA and remember a discussion over lunch in which he was throwing around some ideas for a home brew cleaning fluid. The general consensus then, and mine now, is that it really doesn't matter a hell of a lot what you use, as long as you do it and do it right.

Actually my favorite use for ER is cleaning the plastic fouling out of shotgun bores after a weekend of sporting clays or skeet.

northmn
04-17-2011, 11:51 AM
Yep, I use Ed's Red for a lot of stuff, but do the initial cleaning with good old H2O and soap. I shot with Ed years ago in the early days of the CBA and remember a discussion over lunch in which he was throwing around some ideas for a home brew cleaning fluid. The general consensus then, and mine now, is that it really doesn't matter a hell of a lot what you use, as long as you do it and do it right.
Actually my favorite use for ER is cleaning the plastic fouling out of shotgun bores after a weekend of sporting clays or skeet.

Can't argue with that.

DP

waksupi
04-17-2011, 12:17 PM
Use water first. The mineral products in ER turns BP fouling to tar, and is hard to remove. Found that out the hard way.

Hellgate
04-17-2011, 04:32 PM
I use a variety of water based solvents for the BP fouling (windshield wiper "bug formula" fluid @$2/gallon or Ballistol based moose milk) and followup oiling using Marvel's Mystery Oil. The color (red) and smell (wintergreen) sold me on it. I have no clue what is in it (it's a mystery, I guess!) but it seems to work as good as anything else as an oil & rust preventative.