PDA

View Full Version : Australia burns

Ron
12-12-2006, 06:27 AM
Yesterday saw a massive fire on the east coast of Tasmania burn out thousands of acres and 20 homes.

Yesterday we in Victoria entered our second week of numerous bush fires in the north east and centre of the state. So far no property damage, only bush, forest and tree plantations. Two of the larger fires combined today and it now has a fire front of 250 kilometres long. At least two towns are now in danger of being burnt out.

A bush fire in Perth, Western Australia saw one house destroyed today.

To date there has been no loss of life and for that we are greatful. However we still have three months of hotter than usual summer weather expected and no sign of rain to dampen things down. We are reputedly in our 17th year of drought and no one knows when it will break.

We are thankful also to the fire fighters from New Zealand who are assisting with the Victorian fires.

This brings me to another problem. Normally during the various fire seasons in Oz, our fire services back each other up by sending fire fighters where they are needed in the various states but this year, it looks like we are all going to cop fire seasons at the same time. This does not look good for the future and has lots of people worried.

A friend of mine phoned a mate who was fighting the fires in central Victoria last Friday. He asked how the fires were going. His mate replied, "the fires are going well, but we are going backwards and making no impression on them."

There is no attempt to put the fires out, only to try and build fire breaks or by back burning or bulldozing clear areas. This proceedure works well as long as the elements work with you but the whole fire area weather forcasts indicate changeable winds so only the gods know which direction the will turn in.

I suspect that this is only the first chapter in a long and sorry summer.

Regards,

Four Fingers of Death
12-12-2006, 07:23 AM
I'm staying at my sister in laws at Toronto in NSW while my wife is in hospital. The fire station up the road has heaps of cars and 4wds parked in th elot, they are obviously down south fughting the fires.

Bad Ass Wallace
12-12-2006, 08:06 AM
Up Queensland way, we've been in drought for so long there is nothing left to burn, 'cept bare dirt!:( :(

redneckdan
12-12-2006, 09:34 AM
Is there some type of system where by american hotshot crews will work internationally?

trooperdan
12-12-2006, 09:38 AM
Ron, I didn't realise you guys were in a drought over there; it sounds like it is continent-wide as well! Sorry to hear that and I hope you survive the coming hot season OK.

Ron
12-12-2006, 07:00 PM
The morning news reported that fire fighters from Queensland are helping with the Victorian fires and that the state government is holding talks with Canadian and US of A for their people to assist.

It was also reported that all of our state fire services are in constant contact with regard to releasing staff to assist. This is difficult because of each states need to keep their own people at home to fight their fires. Still I suppose we will do what we normally do and keep on keeping on.

The sun over my part of Melbourne this morning is an orage fluorescent colour due to the smoke haze from the fires, roughly 150 kil. away.

JeffinNZ
12-12-2006, 07:58 PM
Well their isn't many Kiwi's helping but we do try and help out where we can.

I stark contrast to your heat wave and drought, we have had ice bergs, YES, icebergs floating up the coast!!! I kid yee not.

waksupi
12-12-2006, 09:55 PM
I hate fire season. We got off fairly easy in our area this past summer. Do the aboriginies have a version of the rain dance?
An old freind in the forest service told me years ago, all they can really do, is scratch around the edges of a fire, until it rains, or runs into something it can't burn.

Bad Ass Wallace
12-13-2006, 03:03 AM
Do the aboriginies have a version of the rain dance?
Only when they stand on a bull ant nest with bare feet!:Fire: :Fire:

Bigjohn
12-13-2006, 07:04 PM
It is tinder dry down here too! Everyone is taking as much care as possible but the unknown aspect is the weather. We had a dry electrical storm come through last month and that made everyone nervious. Some 25,000 lightning strikes in the lower south east alone. Luckily only a couple of fires started here and easily managed.

To have this many over the century days this side of Christmas is unusual. I think our firefighters will be have Christmas Lunch with a sandwich in one hand and a firehose in the other.

Our thoughts go to all those firefighters who are out there trying to save as much as possible without loosing their life. :(

I believe we have been lucky upto now with no loss of human life, not so for some of the indigenous wildlife. I saw news footage of a small potaroo running in circles not knowing which way to go.

John.

robertbank
12-13-2006, 07:31 PM
Ron I'll send off an email to my MP suggesting we support your situation in any way Canadian Gov't can. I am sure they are aware of the situation and I am also sure any request for assitance than can be given will be without hesitation.

Stay Safe and Take Care

Bob

Ron
12-14-2006, 07:14 PM
Ron I'll send off an email to my MP suggesting we support your situation in any way Canadian Gov't can. I am sure they are aware of the situation and I am also sure any request for assitance than can be given will be without hesitation.

Stay Safe and Take Care

Bob

Bob, thanks for the support.

I am not trying to make out that only Victoria is having a bad time with the bushfires. Every state in Oz is tinder dry and I think it is only a matter of time before every state will experience fires.

Yesterday saw the fire in Tasmania cause further damage there. In Victoria, the town of Gaffneys Creek was all but burnt out. They were puting fires out in the main street!

So far only one death, a volunteer firefighter fell of the back of a truck and was run over by a water tanker. Our thoughts are with his folks.

A fire yesterday near the historic gold mining town of Walhalla is suspected of having been deliberately lit. Just another reminder that our society has a lot of sick people in it.

robertbank
12-14-2006, 07:20 PM
Letter sent. We see the fires on our news every night. Best of luck out your way. You folks are in our family prayers.

Take Care

bob

9.3X62AL
12-15-2006, 02:06 AM
Ron--

You saw that little fire behind the house when you were here this past summer--had a few more locally after that one, nothing close to the house, thankfully. Our thoughts and prayers for all you folks Down Under as the fire danger continues and increases.

Many thanks also for the package!

Allen and Marie

Ron
12-15-2006, 08:36 AM
Al,
Your welcome. How is Marie coming along with the GLOCK?

StanDahl
12-16-2006, 01:33 AM
National Geographic magazine put out a world map in 2004 that had a satellite composite of the "Earth at Night" on the back. Nearly the entire northwest and northern part of Australia showed hundreds of fires over the year that it took to make the map. About 1/4 of the continent seemed to be in the fire zone. What's burning now must be what didnt' burn then! (This photo might give you an idea - maybe - it's pretty small.)

PatMarlin
12-16-2006, 06:40 PM
What about Wooragee? I know folks there.

Ron
12-17-2006, 09:28 AM
Yesterday saw 9 New Zealand fire fighters get caught in the Victorian fires. They were in their fire truck when a sudden wind change caught them in the open. They apparently got out of the truck and sought shelter in a gully. The fire rode over the top of them causing burns to all.

Last news report gave them as mior to serious burns with three still serious but stable in Melbournes Alfred Hospital, which has the best burns unit in the state.

Temp tomorrow forecast to be 28C and rising to low 30's by Thursday.

Ron
12-22-2006, 07:33 AM
37C yesterday and about five hamlets in danger from the firefront. Forecast is for heavy rain coming in from Adelaide where they had flash flooding.

35C today and high winds up to about 7.00pm when the storm rolled in over my part of Melbourne. It rained heavily for about 30 minutes. Some minor flash flooding locally. Roof gutters unable to take the load and spilt over. I hope there is some left up there by the time it gets to the fire area.

Would you believe that the forcast is for SNOW on Christmas Day! The weather patters have gone A over T.

As of 1/1/07 Melbourne goes onto Stage 3 water restrictions - car washing, lawns, garden beds etc all banned. The stream flow into our dams is at 40% less than last year and storage is at an all time low.

More on the fires later if the rain doesn't put them out.

Ron
12-22-2006, 07:37 AM
Posted by PatMarlin "What about Wooragee? I know folks there."

G'day Pat, sorry can't help you I've never heard of the place. Which state is it in?

Ron
12-24-2006, 07:57 AM
most of the Victorian fires are out or under control due to the rain yesterday. What a great Christmas present for the people affected by the fires. Most of the fire fighters, including the New Zealanders and those from other states are on the way home to be with their families for Christmas Day.

We had intermitant showers today until 6.00 pm then constant heavy rain until 10.30 pm. Thats more rain than I have seen in a very long time. I actually saw a creek yesterday which was almost dry, flowing nearly to the top of it's banks.

Snow is still forcast for the Victorian Alps for tomorrow with an overnight low for Melbourne down to 8C and a top tomorrow of 16C.

It looks like our Christmas celebrations will go well with no fire threats in the wind. A bit cool maybe but we can't have everything.

A Very Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year to all members of the Board.

robertbank
12-24-2006, 11:09 AM
Great news Ron, Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Take Care

Bob

Nardoo
12-28-2006, 06:38 AM
Hi Pat,

I live just up the road from Wooragee (about 25 miles) and they are fine at the moment. Used to shoot foxes in the hills up there when I was a young fellow. We have had a milder spell over Christmas but it is beginning to warm up now. My son has a job as a summer fire fighter and he has just been sent off for another week at Mt Buller. He works 14 hour night shifts and tells me the only thing that keeps him going is the thought he is somehow saving a few sambar deer. We are very keen hunters of this magnificent deer and it is a crying shame to see so much of their habitat go up in flames. He says he sees deer every night fleeing the fires or sometimes out feeding far from the bush. We have our fingers crossed that the inevitable poachers will not have too big an impact on the remaining population.

Cheers
Nardoo

PatMarlin
12-28-2006, 03:21 PM
What a mess Nardoo.

Glad to hear you're OK. I know Rex Lucas inventor of the Lucas Sawmill in Wooragee... :drinks:

Nardoo
12-28-2006, 08:25 PM
Hi Pat,

Can't sat that I know Rex but he sounds like a creative guy. My Grandfather had sawmills all over this area 60 years ago. He cut the mountain ash, woollybutt and even stringybark in the lower hills. After a week in the bush milling he would grab his axe and go to the local wood chop events to compete. As a back marker he'd give his opposition 30 seconds start and beat them inside a minute. Gran said he was a bear of a man.
My father got his start after the war carting logs out of the high country. With his US made bogey drive White truck he'd do 3 trips a day while the locally made and less powerful International trucks could only manage 2.
As kids, my brother and I would have the job of filling the 44 gallon water tank behind the cab of the White each night. This was jury rigged to feed water directly on to the big drum brakes to cool them on long, steep descents out of the bush. He had the habit of driving with his door held open ready to make a jump for it should things go bad. It was a habit he could never shake and he'd often frighten the daylights out of his passengers years later, when on a particularly steep or challenging road he would open the door of the car and let one foot ride out.
And my idea of saw milling is my trusty old Stihl 084. It has the power to cut anything around these parts. We have a particularly tough eucalypt called grey box and when dry, this hardwood is the most difficult of all to cut. Naturally it is also the best firewood. I settled on the 084 because I had worn out a number of lesser saws on it. I tried an old Lightning for a time which cut beautifully but was giving me white fingers. I really should upgrade to an 088 but I am told it is only the 084 with new cowling. Anyway at my age I think the 084 will see me out.
Good luck with your milling.

Nardoo

9.3X62AL
12-28-2006, 08:52 PM
Ron--

Good news indeed, sir!

We had snow--then sleet--then rain yesterday. A sodden, half-frozen mess that Californians aren't real good at driving upon. Then, hellacious winds that blew the daylights out of things overnight--a mess to clean up this morning, for sure.

PatMarlin
12-28-2006, 11:54 PM
Nardoo-

Water cooled brakes! That's clever. I can see your old man with the door at the ready with the picture you paint clearly. I've become a moocher of logs since I got my new mill... :mrgreen:

I hear that on the storms AL... I had just cleaned up, and the last storm tore stuff up, and blew it all over.. :roll: