PDA

View Full Version : What do the numbers on WW's mean?

Jerry Lester
12-12-2006, 12:26 AM
I've been smelting my weights into usable mini-muffin ingots, and the other evening, I got to looking pretty closely at them. A lot of mine have a number 57 on them, but there are a lot of numbers like 50, 70, 35, and such too. They seem to all be around the same hardness, so I'm doubting the numbers reflect that at all. Maybe it's something that identifies where they were casted? I'm not talking about the number that indicates the actual weight of the wheel weight.

Also, at first I was seperating the painted/coated weights from the plain ones, but they seem like they're basically the same hardness, so now I'm just smelting them all together, and being very carefull not to breath the smoke off of the pot. The stick on's or any "questionable" looking ones, I'm avoiding because I don't know what hardness they are, and don't want to end up with a batch of different hardness ingots.

Hunter
12-12-2006, 12:35 AM
That number tells the weight of the wheel weight when they use it to balance a tire.
A fan over your smelting pot is not a bad idea to keep the fumes blowing in your direction.
I went back and reread your post so I may have incorrectly answered your question unless it is a metric weight.

44woody
12-12-2006, 12:38 AM
when yo seprate your ww look real close for ww with the letters ZN don't melt them throw them away this year is the first year that I have found zn in my ww I have found them in the stick on ones and the steel clipt ones so be careful of them :castmine: 44Woody

John Boy
12-12-2006, 01:19 AM
Jerry, the numbers on the weights are the gram weight of them. Here's an example of 35 and 43 gram ones. The 1.5 is the weight in ounces

The garden variety ones below are 96.456% PB

As for the strip weights, you just put them all in a USPS Flat rate box and send them to me. I'll pay postage [smilie=1: They are 98.144% Pb!