PDA

View Full Version : New Smelter

Freightman
04-15-2011, 10:46 AM
I have been smelting with a Colman camp stove and it was so slow so I broke down and ordered one a Bayou Classic. I got it a short wile ago two days from Mississippi not bad. Looks very substantial so now to smelt in style.

dragonrider
04-15-2011, 11:55 AM
I wasn't going to post this but I can't help myself. weld on some stronger legs first. BSTS (better safe than sorry)

LUCKYDAWG13
04-15-2011, 12:02 PM
or set on bricks

Freightman
04-15-2011, 12:26 PM
I was thinking that a wind shield around the whole thing out of some heavy steel plate, with some holes in the bottom that will insure plenty of oxygen to the burner. The fire brick would be good for heat retention also, just happen to have some and some mortar mix. I would be more afraid of cooking a turkey in 400@ oil than the lead. Knew a man who burned his garage and car up frying a turkey, not to count the burns on his legs and chest plus six months work missed.

gray wolf
04-15-2011, 06:19 PM
The first thing that caught my eye, week legs.

D Crockett
04-15-2011, 07:37 PM
freightman send me just the burner and I will make you a stand that will be safe to use the one you have now the legs will not hold the weight of the lead if you do it the way most of us do it 100+ bls at a time pm me if you would like to talk about it D Crockett

cbrick
04-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Diddo, fix the legs! Freightmen are too tough to come by, don't want to loose any. :holysheep

Rick

MGySgt
04-21-2011, 09:09 AM
Wind Screen - make a circle of flashing that just fits the top of the stand. Put pot on burner stand and then put wind screen around the pot.

That will shorten your melt time considerably. A roll of roof flashing is not that expensive and you can find other uses besides the wind screen.