PDA

View Full Version : 325gr 45 colt low velocity loads?

Blackhawk45hunter
04-14-2011, 11:38 AM
Ok so I have a 325 Keith mold and have a sweet load worked up with H110 around 1100fps or so but I'd like to try loading some down with universal.

Hodgedon's site has 6.6 grains starting load for a 300 grain cast.
Would I be safe to try starting at 5.5-6 grains of universal?

Also, at what pressure level does universal start to spike?

RobS
04-14-2011, 11:44 AM
Assuming you are talking about a Ruger Blackhalk or old Vaquero?

Blackhawk45hunter
04-14-2011, 11:45 AM
Yeah, so pressure is not a problem

RobS
04-14-2011, 11:47 AM
Well then you'll be just fine as their starting load is 11,200 CUP from a jacketed bullet leaving you with a ton of room for working up with your PB boolit. If you have a chronograph that will give you a reference as you work up. Universal if very similar to Unique in the 45 Colt.

BABore
04-14-2011, 11:54 AM
I would work it up with Unique. Watch the group shape as Unique will string both vertically and horizontally in cycles til the proper burn pressure is reached. I've had 2 or 3 complete cycles where it went from vertical, then horizontal, then a round group before it started all over again. When it's at its correct burn pressure the groups should be round and hopefully meet your accuracy requirements. Further powder increases typically blow the round group up in size. Another good LV powder is WW 231. No matter what hardness of boolit your using for your HV loads, try both air cooled and water dropped in your testing. Your gun can easily change it preference. 50/50 WW-Pb would be excellent for this. Same thing with lubes. You may have to go with a less slick lube. Generally a softer lube works better.