PDA

View Full Version : does anyone make......?

94Doug
04-14-2011, 01:04 AM
Is there such a thing as an adaptor that you screw in the top of a press to raise your die? What I am looking for is a way to use my existing die say from a 38 special to flair the cases of 35 caliber rifle cases. I know I can buy a M die, just being cheap. I figured I could use my 30 carbine for 30 calibers, etc.....

Doug

theperfessor
04-14-2011, 01:14 AM
Can you raise the stem in the die? Or put a stack of washers under the die lock ring to raise the die without running out of threads? I'm not sure I understand exactly what you need.

94Doug
04-14-2011, 01:31 AM
I figured it would be hard for me to get to my point across. One of my shortfalls. I ran out of threads, so just a 7/8" adaptor to raise the die. If you put a 38 expander with only a thread or two holding it in the press, it's still too low, putting waaaay too much flair on a 35 whelen. Maybe I just didn't fiddle enough with the stem, I'll look again tomorrow and see if I am just guilty of a brain...you know what.

d

theperfessor
04-14-2011, 01:46 AM
Just a crude sketch, but is this what you're thinking of? How long would L1 and L2 need to be?

bobthenailer
04-14-2011, 07:43 AM
Redding makes a die spacer kit with 3 spacers. 062 no crimp -- .125 44mag/44 special -- .135 357 /38 special @$7.31 from midsouth SS . you can use any combo of spacers
IN some of the older RCBS dies they also included a spacer with the die sets so you could load the special or the mags with the same dies without changing die adj.
I have also used the old style front end alignement shims that are avalible in various thickness.
they are a open ended type that you dont have to remove the die to install just back off the die and insert & retighten die into press.
You will have to open up the u opening some to fit the die body. i use the 1/64 - 1/32 - 1/16 - 1/8 and 1/4 sizes and have a few of each size.
You could also use a extra die lock ring !

Guesser
04-14-2011, 09:06 AM
I did it for 35 Remington 20+ years ago. No special tools required, just backed it out and ran the expander down, don't remember it being all that technical, just used whatever was on the loading bench at the time.

Carolina Cast Bullets
04-14-2011, 09:10 AM
Take a look at Lee's Universal Expanding Die.

You can get it at Midway or order it from Lee directly. Midway is cheaper.

It is a die body with two conical inserts that flare the case mouth on ANY case when adjusted properly and the correct insert in place.

I have used it on 25-20, 40 S&W and several other cases that need a flare for cast boolits.

Jerry
Carolina Cast Bullets

Casting Timmy
04-14-2011, 08:26 PM
Is there a way you can make your press not do a full stroke easily? You might not need to run the die out the top of the press if your handle could stop at half travel. If you have a split collar laying around put that on your press ram so you can only do half a press stroke.

n.h.schmidt
04-14-2011, 08:31 PM
Hi
Timmy has the easiest idea. A hose clamp would also work ,placed on the ram to limit travel. Since you are only expanding the neck and flairing ,you don't need the leverage of being at the top of the stroke.
n.h.schmidt

94Doug
04-26-2011, 04:18 PM
OK, I am back to this project now. I am going to get an M Die eventually, but the adapter that theprofessor drew was exactly what I was thinking. My 357 die does not adjust enought, as it turns out.

Doug

Bent Ramrod
04-29-2011, 10:22 AM
I made an adapter sort of like the one in Theperfessor's drawing to allow the link in my RCBS press to come up past top dead center for certain "x-treme" case forming and j-bullet sizing chores using 7/8 x 14 thread dies. But I've never seen one offered for sale. An RCBS bushing twice as long as the one on top of the Rockchucker presses would do the job, but nobody offers one. You'd need access to a screwcutting lathe or a custom machine shop.

Another of our members shortened the ram on his press to accomplish the same end. But I would say an "M" die would be much more cost effective for the purpose you want.

theperfessor
04-29-2011, 11:22 AM
Ive been swapping pms with the OP about this, it looks like this might be something a few people might need, but not enough demand for a major manufacturer to offer. My BIL has a Rockchucker as does the OP, so this weekend I'm going to measure the insert and come up with an extended version to raise a 7/8-14 thread die up far enough to be able to do what the OP wants. If I'm going to make one I might as well make several up and offer them for sale here.

Anybody else interested in an extended insert for a Rockchucker? Not trying to hijack thread, just trying to fill an apparent need.

bhn22
04-29-2011, 11:33 AM
7/8 flat washers work just fine.

theperfessor
04-29-2011, 11:39 AM
That was already suggested, wouldn't raise his die high enough w/o running out of threads.

WILCO
04-29-2011, 11:46 AM
Take a look at Lee's Universal Expanding Die.

Best answer. Buy it once, use it for everything......

94Doug
04-30-2011, 10:09 AM
But my idea is to be able to use an M die too. With the suggested insert, a 30 or 35 short can be used for both short and long applications. My initial need was to use a 357 magnum expander for my 35 Whelen. So, I just thought this could come in handy every once and a while.

Doug

clodhopper
04-30-2011, 12:04 PM
I have run into this problem more than once. the pistol neck expand die is just to short to accomodate a long rifle case.
I would like to but one of your adapters Mr. thepreffesor

theperfessor
05-02-2011, 02:05 PM
Here is a drawing of an adapter for a Rockchucker press that screws in place of the factory bushing and raises a standard die up 2" above the top of the press. This actually raises the die a little more than 1-3/4" total, because the die normally sits on top of the flange of the adapter bushing and the 2" length is measured from the bottom surface of the adapter/top of the press.

Is this additional height enough, too much, or not enough? If this was something I needed I would make one overlength and then shorten it up until I found the optimal length, but I don't have a RC press and haven't ever run into the OP's problem so I don't have any real good way to test this out. If anyone has any advice and we can reach a consensus on what length is needed I will be more than happy to shoot out a price for making these.

I have the material in stock.

94Doug
05-02-2011, 02:57 PM
I think this is ideal. I can't imagine a situation where that wouldn't give me enough adjustment to make this work for this or any other project that could come up.

Doug

theperfessor
05-02-2011, 06:38 PM
To anyone that is interested in buying one of these: I have to get a 7/8-14 tap that will cost about $30. So I can make these for $20 each + $5 for flat rate shipping. I will throw in one of my conformal nose punches that fit Lyman/RCBS style luber/sizers in the caliber of your choice (an $8.50 value) to sweeten the deal.

No hard feelings if anyone wants to use the drawing and get someone else to do make one for them. It would make a good training project for a vo-tech student, or for a friend that runs a shop to make for you. I know $25 may seem like a lot for a little hunk of metal, but I won't even make a small profit on my material and tooling costs until I sell at least three of these.

All I can guarantee is work done to professional standards delivered in a timely fashion, with a promise to work with you if you have any problems.

94Doug
05-02-2011, 07:05 PM
I'm in, of course. The cost is the same as another M die that I wouldn't have to buy. That's just my odd logic however. Who knows maybe some day I can make another die do the job of what it's not intended for, just by using this adaptor.

Doug

BruceB
05-02-2011, 07:47 PM
The original poster mentioned the .30 Carbine die for flaring .30-caliber cases.

Get this:

For many years, I've used an old (aluminum-body) RCBS .30 Carbine expander to apply mouth flare on cases all the way up to (and including) .416 Rigby. The die set dates from the 1960s.

The expander is quite long, and tapers up from .30 caliber to MUCH larger than .416. It requires a certain amount of "touch", because there's no positive stop to the case's upward motion. However, the "feel" is easily mastered. I've used this die for this job in at least a dozen different calibers.

I have a second set of RCBS .30 Carbine dies, decades newer than my older set. I just went and checked, and the newer expander has a steel die body, but the expander is still the same design. It has a long. smooth taper from .304" up to .463"....look at those dimensions, and you'll see they cover a multitude of possibilities.

The Lee Universal Expander, for instance, will NOT flare a .416 Rigby because the case is too fat to enter the die....but the RCBS .30 Carbine die WILL do the job! How 'bout THAT, sports-fans???

theperfessor
05-02-2011, 08:08 PM
Doug, if your in I'll go ahead and order the tap tonight. Maybe someone else will want one also. I think I'll make a post in Swapping and Selling to see if I can pick up another order or two while I wait for the tap to arrive. Please let me know what size nose punch you want. I can make any standard caliber from .22 to .50. I'll send you a list later tonight. Same for anyone else, just send me an email at the address in my sig line below.

94Doug
06-21-2011, 11:47 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=1310796#post1310796

Here is the finished product for those that were following this.

Doug

thehouseproduct
06-22-2011, 10:19 AM
The original poster mentioned the .30 Carbine die for flaring .30-caliber cases.

Get this:

For many years, I've used an old (aluminum-body) RCBS .30 Carbine expander to apply mouth flare on cases all the way up to (and including) .416 Rigby. The die set dates from the 1960s.

The expander is quite long, and tapers up from .30 caliber to MUCH larger than .416. It requires a certain amount of "touch", because there's no positive stop to the case's upward motion. However, the "feel" is easily mastered. I've used this die for this job in at least a dozen different calibers.

I have a second set of RCBS .30 Carbine dies, decades newer than my older set. I just went and checked, and the newer expander has a steel die body, but the expander is still the same design. It has a long. smooth taper from .304" up to .463"....look at those dimensions, and you'll see they cover a multitude of possibilities.

The Lee Universal Expander, for instance, will NOT flare a .416 Rigby because the case is too fat to enter the die....but the RCBS .30 Carbine die WILL do the job! How 'bout THAT, sports-fans???
+1 I have the EXACT same die and love it.