PDA

View Full Version : Experience with UniqueTek.com??

Gunslinger
04-13-2011, 09:24 AM
Due to elevated blood lead levels I have decided to buy some D-lead Abrasive hand soap from this company. In the section on international orders they state the following:

Placing An International Order:
Just copy and paste the following information into an email, edit as needed, and send to sales@uniquetek.com. Or just Click Here to open an email window with all the information formatted and ready for you to fill in the fields. We'll calculate the shipping and let you know the total before we ship. We usually use US Postal Service as they are often less expensive and their Customs paperwork is much easier to fill out. If you require that we ship via a specific carrier, please let us know in the "Comments" field.

Name: (exactly as it appears on the credit card)
Credit Card: (VISA, MasterCard, Discover, American Express)
Card Number: xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx / or xxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxx (American Express)
Expiration Date: (mm/yy)
CVV2*: xxx /or xxxx (American Express)

Phone:
Email:

Billing/Shipping Address†: (the address where the credit card bill is sent)

Qty. & Description

Forgive me if I seem skeptic, but if I give my credit card information in this manner, what is to stop them from charging say $10.000 from my account??

I have nothing but good experiences with companies in the shooting community... I'm just saying....

Longwood
04-13-2011, 09:33 AM
If their site is secure there will be a little lock/secure icon on top of the page.

Doby45
04-13-2011, 10:02 AM
Don't do it, it is a lie of the Debil. If they are truly running a web commerce business they need to have a secured checkout system not just a "copy your junk and send it to us" type thing. Find yourself a reputable web store to purchase from or call them directly and order over the phone.

Iron Mike Golf
04-13-2011, 02:24 PM
Well, they seem to be a small outfit and the folks they partner with (Authorize.net) does seem to do secure credit card processing. The rub is Authorize.Net is not able to handle international credit card transactions.

UniqueTek also says their shipping calculator often overcharges shipping overseas, including Hawaii, Alaska, and Puerto Rico.

I don't think it's fair to characterize UniqueTek as a disreputable web store. More likely, this is a cost based business decision.

I agree that emailing an order woth credit card information is not wise, although there is not much difference between calling in an order and doing a credit card transaction over the phone with respect to the OP's concern about the amount charged to his card.

Gunslinger
04-13-2011, 02:32 PM
No, there is no difference.

What scares me is that they can charge anything they like. When you buy from a webshop, you authorize a certain amount.... that I do not have a problem with!

Doby45
04-13-2011, 03:45 PM
Looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, it is NORMALLY a duck. If they do not have a "secured" check out process I consider it disreputable, you personally can call it whatever you choose and you can also choose to do business with them. But as for me I am not just sending my CC information to anyone in a blank copy format.

nicholst55
04-13-2011, 04:55 PM
I frequently do business with a firm called GunThings.com that does not have secure ordering, and has you e-mail your credit card info - in TWO messages. That makes it much more unlikely that someone can intercept ALL of your CC info. I've never had a problem doing things this way, and this is **the only way** that I will order in this manner.

crabo
04-13-2011, 05:46 PM
I think Dillon sells their products.

biscot
04-13-2011, 05:56 PM
I have done business with them - they have some "unique" products, such as their micrometer powder bar for Dillon powder measures. Good service, small personally-run firm, certainly seem to be reputable.
However, if you are concerned about their ordering process, you should know that D-lead soap is available through other vendors.

Cadillo
04-13-2011, 08:29 PM
I've made three online purchases through them with no problems. Their upgrades to Dillon tool heads are really worth the money. I will do business with them again.

garym1a2
04-13-2011, 09:01 PM
Buy a Visa gift card so they can't overcharge you till you trust them.

williamwaco
04-13-2011, 09:04 PM
Forget all this credit card stuff.

You should never send credit card information in an email. Regardless of the honesty of the company you are sending it to. This information, in human readable form it will pass through and be stored in the email records of at least a dozen internet node servers all over the world.

Hackers can and occasionally do hack these servers looking for emails.

You need to open an account with PayPal ( An EBAY company) Tell your merchant you can pay him through paypal or not at all. This way your information will be as safe as today's technology can make it. PayPal will charge him the exact same fee that your credit card company would charge.

bhn22
04-13-2011, 09:27 PM
You're doing it the hard way. If you're uncomfortable with the credit card issue, request a firm total and pay by bank wire transfer. Your bank will send the money direct to their bank. This is the most secure way to handle overseas purchases. The company I work for processes a lot of overseas orders, and we will not accept a credit card that's not drawn on a U.S. bank, with an American address. The reason? Friggin' scammers!! Some of them are pretty good, but most of them are clumsy & amateurish. Most companies I know will only process international orders via wire transfer. It needs to be understood that UniqueTek is only trying to protect themselves. All the information you listed is required by most credit card companies, and it's required to protect YOU from the seller. The credit card companies don't care about the businesses at all.

blackthorn
04-14-2011, 11:26 AM
Phone the company, get the total price (including shipping) and then either do a bank wire transfer or a bank money order. Both parties should be happy that way!

jrkappy
04-14-2011, 02:21 PM
I have dealt with the company without any problems by computer and by phone. I also have a credit card only used for online transactions. I don't know how your country handles fraud in credit cards; here we are only liable for $50, assuming an honest transaction on your part. A prepaid card with a limited amount works. Yes wire transactions will do the trick but hardly available at 3am when you are probably ordering. Dlead soap, and I use it, may be available locally. Check the on the web.

Longwood
04-14-2011, 02:39 PM
Forget all this credit card stuff.

You should never send credit card information in an email. Regardless of the honesty of the company you are sending it to. This information, in human readable form it will pass through and be stored in the email records of at least a dozen internet node servers all over the world.

Hackers can and occasionally do hack these servers looking for emails.

You need to open an account with PayPal ( An EBAY company) Tell your merchant you can pay him through paypal or not at all. This way your information will be as safe as today's technology can make it. PayPal will charge him the exact same fee that your credit card company would charge.
Then of course, you can always avoid using Windows with their, ridiculous, wide open too hackers system, and use Ubuntu or other secure freeware operating systems to beat the hackers.

Longwood
04-14-2011, 02:50 PM
Then of course, you can always avoid using Windows with their, ridiculous, wide open too hackers system, and use Ubuntu or other secure freeware operating systems to beat the hackers.
Did I mention that Ubuntu is unlike the Windows garbage because it is free and does not need all of the expensive add-on junk to block hackers etc.etc.etc.
You can even use it along side of Windows if you feel a need to waste your money every time you pay the hundred bucks for Windows that is tagged onto every new computer that has it, and all of the necessary add-on junk too get it to work sort of, almost fairly, well.
BTW You can buy most brands of computers without Windows and save $100 on the spot.

williamwaco
04-14-2011, 10:38 PM

Windows is not an issue. ( In this case.) If you don't enter your credit card or other financial or credit information into your operating system, it doesn't matter which operating system you use or don't use.

If you send that plaintext email from Ubuntu, you are just as much as risk as if you sent it from Windows.

cajun shooter
04-15-2011, 10:50 AM
I have been buying from them for over three years. They are a good and fast company to deal with. They always have some unique items that no one else has. I have purchased the very product you seek plus the hand cleaners or wipes to use while casting. I just purchased the 1873 end cap wrenches also. No fear as they are first rate!!!

patsher
04-16-2011, 01:01 AM
I just bought a Brass Wizard from Uniquetek. They are a reputable firm, ship quickly, their prices are reasonable, and the products they sell are of very high quality. No need to worry about this company-- IMHO they're a straight-shooting outfit. I will certainly be dealing with them again!

Just my two cents worth.

Pat

Billwnr
04-16-2011, 03:26 PM
I bought their micrometer conversion to the Dillon powder bar. They are a good company.

buck1
04-16-2011, 04:06 PM
Some hand cleaner from the local auto parts store or dishwasher soap both work very well on lead and are easy to get.
The biggest thing is to just wash your hands faithfully with a good soap and that should be fine....my .02...buck