PDA

View Full Version : Gas check making tool

Machado
12-11-2006, 01:21 PM
Gentlemen,
I heard that RCBS is offering equipment to produce gas-checks out of copper light sheet. I cannot find this in their website. Any help will be appreciated.
Antonio

I'm sorry, I had bum dope. Corbin is making the thing and I've found it already.

KTN
12-11-2006, 03:42 PM
Machado,
why not make gas check tools by yourself?This is my (still unfinished) tool for .45 gas checks.

Kaj

500bfrman
12-11-2006, 04:02 PM
I have talked with them about that gas check maker before. Just haven't ordered it. Seems awesome, won't really save you any money for a long, long, long, long, long, time though. and you would need to buy your gas check material in big time bulk. All that is if you are in it to save money. Goodness knows I don't do half the stuff I do in guns, casting to save money though just cause its cool.:drinks: And when I compared the thickness of a hornady check to what I would need to buy to duplicate it hornady's looked pretty nice after all.

dagamore
12-12-2006, 08:23 AM
KTn does that stamp and from in one step? also how is it powered, i.e. Air, elbow grease, JFM?

more pics would be nice :D

KTN
12-12-2006, 04:39 PM
Dagamore,
it is two step operation,stamp discs and then form.On the right is formdie and punch.This first testrun was powered by BIG hammer :-D ,but in the end it will be elbow grease with long lever.I take better pics when I get it finished.

Kaj

Pystis
12-12-2006, 06:13 PM
Kaj, You´ve been productive.:Fire:

I wonder If I ever have time to mess with lathe and milling machine at school.

4060MAY
12-12-2006, 08:06 PM
Kaj
Did you help the guy from Finland build the jet motors so he could fly?

Buckshot
12-13-2006, 03:24 AM
..................Kaj gets a lathe and he's become a maniac :-).

.................Buckshot

dagamore
12-13-2006, 12:48 PM
KTN thanks for the quick reply.

What are you using to stop from, could you use any copper sheet? also if you were to make one for sale how much would you want?

KTN
12-13-2006, 04:17 PM
..................Kaj gets a lathe and he's become a maniac :-).

.................Buckshot

As I have said earlier,this IS addictive :twisted: ,so all of you who are thinking about buying a lathe,you have been warned:mrgreen: .
Pystis,
make some time to use those machines at school.With those machines and tooling they have at school,there isn't much you can't do.
4060MAY,
jet motors?I'm dreaming about building a liquid fuel rocket motor some day[smilie=1: .
Dagamore,
those checks in picture are made from 0.7mm aluminium that is a bit too thick,tools are made for 0.5 mm sheet.Copper and brass are what I will be using.You wouldn't want to know how long it took to make this tool:roll: .I'm thinking about making next tool to fit reloading press,so I don't need to make the press myself.Price?I need to think about that.

Kaj

HORNET
12-14-2006, 11:17 AM
Kaj,
You might want to alter the design a little bit fir different material. FWIW, most newspapers use 0.30 mm thick aluminum for printing plates and go through a lot of plates every day. At about 12-24" wide and about 23" long (depending on the type of press), you an get a lot of gas checks out of 1 scrap plate.

jhalcott
12-14-2006, 01:22 PM
about 1400 .375 discs from a 23x23 plate!This doesNOT allow for any waste though!

KTN
12-14-2006, 05:00 PM
Hornet,
as always I'm using all those materials that I can get for free,and since my daywork is making things from sheetmetal,I can have 0.5 mm copper,brass and aluminium scrap pieces for free:-D .Other reason is that my homemade boolit molds gascheck shank is too small,so I made gas check thicker to fit the boolit (I like simple solutions:mrgreen: ).

Kaj

PatMarlin
12-14-2006, 05:25 PM
Is that Finnish- Red Neck HillBilly at it again?.. :mrgreen:

KTN
12-14-2006, 05:39 PM
Is that Finnish- Red Neck HillBilly at it again?.. :mrgreen:

[smilie=s: :bigsmyl2:

Kaj

Swagerman
12-14-2006, 08:18 PM
I wish that Kji, lived next door to me. :bigsmyl2:

Jim

singleshotbuff
12-15-2006, 12:06 AM
I'd take one, made to make checks outta beer cans, if someone with a lathe wanted to make one that would fit a reloading press. Not asking, mind you (LOL), just sayin.

SSB

Old Ironsights
12-15-2006, 09:32 AM
I wish that Kji, lived next door to me. :bigsmyl2:

Jim

You could always move to Finland. 'Course you'd HAVE TO buy a suppressor once you got there... :twisted:

They just like playng James Bond up there... ;)

KTN
12-15-2006, 04:21 PM
Almost ready.Heat treating and final sharpening of dies,and it should be ready for service.Some little modifications might be needed,like making longer linkage to lever to make disc cutting lighter.

Kaj

rebliss
12-15-2006, 07:04 PM
Nice work!

Ken O
12-15-2006, 09:36 PM
Beautifull job, nice work! When are you going to be ready for a group buy order of checks?

Lucky Joe
12-15-2006, 11:04 PM
Beautifull job, nice work! When are you going to be ready for a group buy order of checks? +1

That really is nice, I am impressed.

KTN
12-17-2006, 05:10 PM
Beautifull job, nice work! When are you going to be ready for a group buy order of checks?

Group buy order of checks?Knowing you folks here,pretty soon I would end up with order of 1 000 000 checks and I still have my dayjob to take care of:roll: .I'm just giving you some ideas here,if I can do it,anybody can:-D.I need to think up even simpler tool that will fit reloading press.How thick is beer can aluminium?

Kaj

PatMarlin
12-17-2006, 05:26 PM
If you could come up with a good bench press gascheck maker, that you could manufacture without much time in them, you could quit the day job with champaine wishes and caviar dreams Kaj.

But if it was that easy, it woulda been done by now.. :mrgreen:

KTN
12-17-2006, 06:13 PM
If you could come up with a good bench press gascheck maker, that you could manufacture without much time in them, you could quit the day job with champaine wishes and caviar dreams Kaj.

But if it was that easy, it woulda been done by now.. :mrgreen:

Pat,
I just might surprise you all and make it:twisted: .It takes some :coffee: :groner: [smilie=b: :idea: :redneck: to get it done.

Kaj

PatMarlin
12-17-2006, 06:19 PM
That's the redneck hillbilly way... :redneck: :bigsmyl2: :redneck: