PDA

View Full Version : Ranch Dog Molds thru a Lyman Lube/Sizer?

Bula
04-12-2011, 01:19 PM
Anyone running any of the Ranch Dog Microband molds thru a standard lube/sizer? Rifle and pistol calibers. I really dig these molds, but I'm already set up to lube standard lube groove stuff, not looking to get set up wet dipping alox.
Thanks.

Ole
04-12-2011, 03:57 PM
I don't have a lubrisizer, but I have pan lubed them with standard lube before and they worked great.

tommygirlMT
04-12-2011, 03:58 PM
Provided you crank up the pressure --- and go slow on both the downstroke and upstrok --- the boolits from the ranch dog molds work fine in the Lyman

Never tried to put a ranch dog mold through a Lyman lubrasizer though --- I think you would break the sizer and destroy the mold for sure trying to force the mold through a lyman lubrasizer die --- your suppost to lubrasize boolits not molds --- :kidding:

1Shirt
04-12-2011, 05:00 PM
:coffee:There is no problem in sizing with either a Lyman or RCBS, I have both, and they work fine as long as you dont go to small. Better to lube and size on the large side. Also recommend using a hard lube as it tends to stick better in the little grooves.
1Shirt!

selmerfan
04-12-2011, 10:01 PM
I use them in both TL mode and through my Lyman 4500. I do it a little differently though, as I'm not making thousands of these at a time. I have the 359-190-RF and 311-165-RF molds and I run the 359s through the Lee sizer that Mike sent with the mold. The 311 I run nose first through the Lyman die because I was getting shaved lead off the bands sizing base first. So...I tumble the naked boolits with just a touch of Imperial Sizing wax, back pressure off the lube, take the center rod out of the .311" sizing die, and run the boolits through nose first, seating the check at this time as well. Then I reassemble and size and lube as normal. I get perfect (or darned close!), even sizing and then lube with a combination of Saeco Green and Bullshop's Speed Green. (I wanted one lube, so I melted them together, working good so far.) It sticks in the lube, needs a light bulb for a heater, and I get zero leading. So...long story short, yes, RD boolits can go through a "normal" lubesizer.

jmsj
04-12-2011, 10:16 PM
My wife has bought me the RD 311-165 mold for my B-day. I don't get to use it till next month but I am trying to gather some information on this.
Have any of you noticed any performance difference between using the TL method and lubesizer method of sizing/lubing?
Thanks, jmsj

Doc_Stihl
04-13-2011, 08:03 AM
I run a few different RD boolits through lube-sizers. They all work well. Some lubes flow easier than others. But Carnuba Red and 50/50 have worked great.

selmerfan
04-13-2011, 09:04 AM
My wife has bought me the RD 311-165 mold for my B-day. I don't get to use it till next month but I am trying to gather some information on this.
Have any of you noticed any performance difference between using the TL method and lubesizer method of sizing/lubing?
Thanks, jmsj
No. The loaded rounds look prettier when not TL'd, but other than that...and you can always dip with 45-45-10.

jmsj
04-13-2011, 02:53 PM
selmerfan,
Thanks for the info, it is much appreciated.
jmsj

Bula
04-14-2011, 07:25 PM
Thanks all, appreciate the help.