PDA

View Full Version : Cheap insurance for casting

tracker
05-31-2005, 08:35 PM
Cheap insurance for casting ?

http://www.websoft-solutions.net/welding_respirator_3M8293_P100_p/3m8293.htm

I think so. I just ordered one. I think it should be part of your casting equipment. It couldn't hurt any ;-)

Tracker

fatnhappy
05-31-2005, 10:49 PM
I think I'd rather suck **** through a straw than use one of those while casting.
After 15 years of casting I was tested for lead and my levels were lower than average. I guess I didn't eat many paint chips as a kid. Just wash your hands before eating or drinking.
MHO

waksupi
05-31-2005, 11:14 PM
It just ain't a problem, if you don't suck your thumbs. There ain't no fumes. It seems like an ingenious solution to a non-existant problem, or an answer in search of a question.

shooter575
05-31-2005, 11:52 PM
tracker, Im also with waksupi and Fatnhappy. I had my blood checked for pb during my 1/2 century tune up last year. Came back normal [about the only thing that did] :-]
Seems that the only groups that test high for lead are welders [leaded steel ] painters [scraping old paint] and ghetto kids??? That is what I was told. We do not get the lead hot enough to vaporize. So wash your hands anf keep your mouth shut I guess you be OK.

NVcurmudgeon
06-01-2005, 12:27 AM
Tracker, Good idea if we cast at the 1200 degree vapor point of lead, but I'm doing good to get 800 out of my Coleman stove. Like many others on Shooters, Aimoo, and now Castloads I've been lead tested and found to be pure.

tracker
06-01-2005, 01:00 AM
Wow
I didn’t know I was going to get these kind of responses. :-? I admit I’m not a caster yet and am new to this but I was just reading many things about lead and a friend of mine who does cast suggested that it is a good idea to have one of these. I did order one of these and I plan to use it. It’s cheap. It’s OK if you folks don’t want to. To each his own. Glad to hear everyone is healthy.

Tracker

Buckshot
06-01-2005, 01:35 AM
............Tracker, the issue with casting isn't inhaling it, but ingesting it. As has been mentioned, your thermostaticly controlled leadpot is incapable of creating temps high enough to worry about vapor.

Rather then a filtermask, the item required is gloves. I always wear a glove on my right hand. The one I hold the sprueplate knocker with. Being right handed it's the one I use to pickup anything hot, and use to add to the pot. If you have seen any lead which has set outside, it will be white. This is lead oxide, and if it gets on your hands, it may find it's way inside you.

Also, even if the lead is clean, after handling a bunch of ingots or boolits you'll notice your fingers are grey. This also is very fine lead and poses the same danger via ingestion.

I, and I'm sure the others appreciate the effort in posting that information for us. I actually should get a couple of those for welding. Welding galvanized steel poses a threat due to zinc vapors, which can be really thick. After a session I'v noticed a sweet taste in my mouth and that's a sign Id been breathing some of it.

...............Buckshot

Willbird
06-01-2005, 06:56 AM
Actually many reloaders think casting is dangerous, and they probably empty the case tumbler while eating a ham sandwich. Said case tumbler btw is the single largest source of lead in your reloading room according to authorities on lead in handloading.

Dad always told me to wash my hands before handling primers, and after casting bullets.

Bill

wills
06-01-2005, 08:10 AM
Lead poisoning is a problem invented by plaintiffs’ lawyers and primarily affects “inner city” children. Hang around here and absorb the wisdom of the cognoscenti before you get lead down the primrose path by some snake oil salesman.

I see the side of the linked page has something called “north safety”. I wonder if that is protection against Yankees?

tracker
06-01-2005, 08:35 AM
OK,OK,OK
Buckshot, You should be a teacher. You said it best. Thank you from a newbe.

Tracker

StarMetal
06-01-2005, 09:28 AM
Well it's good to know safety. I was brought up in the industrial work field. Although they went overboard on satefy, alot of it was some real good stuff. Here's about the most important things I think should be followed: Whenever grinding, pounding on something that can shatter, spraying anything, etc., wear protective goggles. Eyesight is too valuable to lose. We all should know about ear protection being shooters, but sitting on a lawn tractor for hrs at end can also damage your ears. Wear gloves, better to tear the glove then your hand. Working around moving machinery? Don't wear loose fitting clothes, don't leave your shirt tail hanging out, don't wear any jewelry like rings or a watch. Example: I was working on my hotrod Chevy one day near the alternator and I had a watch on with the expandable metal band. Well somehow it made contact with a live wire and burned my wrist pretty bad. Now I have an embarrassing scar on the underside of my wrist which folks ask me "You try to commit suicide?". When working with anything dusty or spraying a new coat of paint on your hotrod, when a good filtering mask. The safety I learned in industry has saved my ass many times from serious injuries.

If your wife is like mine, they chew your head off when you're casting in the house and they smell, what they call, lead fumes. Well we all know you have to get lead to the boiling point to vapourize. What they smell is other things that may be on the lead like oil, bullet lube, etc. I just heat treated some bullets in my wifes oven yesterday and she complained of bad fumes, that she got nauseated, and felt sick. I didn't smell a thing. The bullet were clean, fresh cast, nothing on them except a gascheck. I'm sure it was her imaginations and she even said that. My wife is very intolerant of fumes especially solvents...like gasoline. Being rough being a motorhead with her around.

The washing your hands thing is probably the best advice when working with lead and damn good advice in the cold/flu season too. Hands and fingers transmitt alot of bad thing to the body via the mouth.

So Buckshot wears a glove on his right hand? Hmmmmm Buckshot Jackson. Buckshot is it a glittery leather glove?

Joe

wills
06-01-2005, 09:45 AM
Interesting you mention a lawn tractor, I was thinking about that when I saw the respirator. Until I can get a tractor I’m mowing about an acre and a half with a riding mower, never considered wearing hearing protection until you brought it up.

45Dave
06-01-2005, 10:34 AM
My lead levels have been elevated for years. 20 and below is supposed to be OK; above and you get reported to the govt. Mine have been as high as 47; last month it was 33 which I think is my low since I've been testing for the last four or five years.

Once I became concerned, I started to be careful about washing my hands, not eating or drinking when loading or shooting, wear latex gloves when reloading, wash my brass vs tumbling, do not sweep the range, etc.

Still, my lead level is not coming down very quickly. Caution is best.

Iron River Red
06-01-2005, 10:41 AM
Cast about 1000lbs of ingots recently. I used a crucible furnace at about 150,000 btus to take down 50lbs of wheel weights at a time. I left the crucible in the heat for about 15 minutes (way longer than necessary) while eating a ham sandwich with dirty hands and listening to loud rock music with no earmuffs...

Went to the doctor the other day. He says I'm dying of cholesterol poisoning...

But seriously, be aware of the potential for heavy metal poisoning, but not afraid of it. Cold water and soap go a long way in prevention. I fear the crap that burns off more than the lead itself.

NVcurmudgeon
06-01-2005, 10:42 AM
Buckshot, I also wear a glove, on the strong hand only, while casting. Up to now I always thought I was the only nutburger crazy enough to leave one hand out in the open. If I didn't have one hand bare, casting would be a slow, clumsy process.

felix
06-01-2005, 11:04 AM
Dave, try taking zinc pills until the lead level comes down. Store bought zinc pills might be painful for your stomach, so cut one up and take the pieces at different times during the day. Zinc and lead fight one another as we all know. ... felix

StarMetal
06-01-2005, 11:10 AM
Dave

Eat lots of garlic. Supposely gets rid of lead out of your body. I have to ask what profession are you in and what professions have you been in? You got that high lead level from other places then casting. Example: Worked for General Electric awhile, at one of their flourescent lamp factories. The hazard there, that most folks aren't aware of outside the industry is mercury and lead. Mainly the mercury though. The lead is from the lead content in the glass. The mercury is from the mercury they put inside the lamps. If you take a lamp tube and hold it up above your eye level and tilt it from side to side slowly, you will see a little ball of mercury roll back and forth.

So tell us what you have done as far as work.

Joe

carpetman
06-01-2005, 11:17 AM
Dr said I didnt have enough lead in my pencil so he gave me ******. Stuff works too. I no longer roll out of bed. Some meds you don't mix,for example don't take a laxative and a sleeping pill the same night. Don't use ****** and Rogaine at same time or you will look like Don King. Do take your Alzheimer meds with ****** or if the ****** works,you won't remember what to do with it. TV says if they last over 4 hours call your Dr. Hell,I'll call the newspaper and Maybe Guinesses.

StarMetal
06-01-2005, 11:28 AM
I think some Brothels run a special if you can go for 4 hours. The FDA just had four cases of blindness caused from what was claimed ****** and that other one that starts with the letter C. Of course they denied it. It is a fact though that one of the side effects of ****** is enhance blue on blue objects. Sometimes not being able to tell the difference between blue and red, also over sensitivity to bright light. Anyways heres a joke to lighten up the day:

An old Italian Mafia Don is dying, and he called his grandson to his bed. "Grandson, I wanna you lissin to me. I wanna for you to take my chrome plated 38 revolver so you will always remember me." "But grandpa, I really don't like guns, ... how about leaving me your Rolex watch instead." "You lissin to me. Somma day you gonna be runna da bussiness, you gonna have a beautiful wife, lotsa money, a big home and maybe a couple of bambini. "Soma day you gonna coma home and maybe finda you wife in bed with another man. Whada you gonna do then? Pointa to da watch and say, ... TIMES UP!"

Joe

wills
06-01-2005, 11:42 AM
I think some Brothels run a special if you can go for 4 hours.
Joe

Why is everyone in such a hurry? First it was fast food, now….

mroliver77
06-01-2005, 10:22 PM
We have been putting ****** in the water for the tomato plants. They no longer need to be tied to a stake to stand up. Jay

shooter2
06-02-2005, 09:00 AM
I note that this is a "particulate" mask. Not something you're likely to run into while casting. As mentioned, it's the vapors you need to worry about and then only if your alloy is a lot hotter than you're ever likely to get with the furnaces we use for casting.

Old guy goes to the doctor and asks for a prescription for ******. "How much do you need" asks the doc. "just enough to pee over the end of my shoes".

shooter575
06-02-2005, 09:21 AM
Heck that going blind from Viagria is from taking some and not having the gals show up. Im legaly blind in my right eye,good thing I can't spank it with my left or I would be shooting buy feel
[notice how our threads realy go down hill once sex gets involved]

carpetman
06-02-2005, 12:09 PM
Am I ever sore today. I swallowed my ****** too slowly and have a stiff neck. To compound things,it didn't work for intended purpose and I rolled off the bed last night too.

Iron River Red
06-02-2005, 08:30 PM
One evening my dad was telling me about his recent visit to the doctor. He said the doc tested his testosterone level and determined he was a good candidate for some "therapy".

Dad said he got a script for "joy juice"... I said what's "joy juice?"

He said its something he gets a shot of and it makes him feel joy like never before.

I told him ****** has a cream out now. Needless to say, he's still looking for a doctor to prescribe it...

I think this one has him and the doctors baffled... sure was funny tho.

I think mom has figured out why he stays up so late "surfin the net"... :wink:

wills
06-07-2005, 09:18 AM
http://www.lil-abner.com/kickapoo.html
Kickapoo Joy Juice
A liquor of such stupefying potency that the hardiest citizens of Dogpatch, after the first burning sip, rose into the air, stiff as frozen codfish

KYCaster
06-07-2005, 05:38 PM
I told him ****** has a cream out now. Needless to say, he's still looking for a doctor to prescribe it...
:wink:

That cream would probably work very well if you get the right person to apply it!

wills
06-08-2005, 04:10 PM
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/printstory.mpl/front/3216538

twotoescharlie
06-10-2005, 01:35 PM
been sucking up them fumes for over 45 years, I guess I can last a little longer. (68 now)

TTC

rebliss
09-24-2005, 11:11 AM
I fear the crap that burns off more than the lead itself.

Speaking of that, I was wondering how bad it is. If I'm melting wheel weights, I've got road grime, oil, maybe some brake dust in there. I melt that stuff outside, but sometimes the smoke gets blown in my face. How much do I need to worry about that?