PDA

View Full Version : Finally got my 32-40 to shoot

lyktohunt
04-12-2011, 12:28 AM
After a very long time, my old Win 94 32-40 shoots pretty good. I tried 6gr Unique pushing about a 175 grain 8 mm from a lee mold it shot about an 1 1/2" group at 50yards, with 5 gr of Trail boss it shot a 3" group and to my suprise with 12gr IMR 4227 3 shots can be covered with a nickel,which I was very pleased with.
It has been a long road, at first I bought some commercial cast boolets but they shot horrible, too hard and to small, so then thought ok I need to try something different and from some suggestions here and on another site I bought a 8MM Lee mould. After slugging my barrelI found it to be .322 and the 8MM mold I thought would drop at .324 but no it dropped boolets at .326, which would not chamber.
Ok so now the next plan was to get a resizer( Lee.323) , it came in the mail and started right in resizing and setting gas checks, they chamber fine so I settled on a few starter loads that I mentioned above and off to the range to find out that IMR 4227 load may be the one to stay with ( first I will try fine tuning it a little)
The buckhorn sights are less than perfect for my old eyes but I have a Lyman tang site that currently sits on my 30-30 that will be moved over to the 32-40 and I am pretty sure that will also help the groups especially for the longer shots.
I almost gave up on the old girl but with the help and suggestions from some folks on a couple of sites it is coming together and I should be able to use it for Cowboy side match shoots coming very soon.
Thanks everyone

captaint
04-12-2011, 01:18 AM
It's always more fun when we have to work at it a little, or even a lot, then get it to fly. Congrats. enjoy Mike

CWME
04-12-2011, 06:23 PM
I like making the brass out of 30-30s for my Marlin 1893. I don't know why but it is a lot f fun for me.
The old girl's barrel has seen a lot of better days, almost smooth bore now. I tried the Oregon .322 before I started casting. Horible. The Lee was the ticket for mine too. I size to .325 for mine and get great groups with 2400. Will have to try your 4227 load!

lyktohunt
04-12-2011, 06:31 PM
I like making the brass out of 30-30s for my Marlin 1893. I don't know why but it is a lot f fun for me.
The old girl's barrel has seen a lot of better days, almost smooth bore now. I tried the Oregon .322 before I started casting. Horible. The Lee was the ticket for mine too. I size to .325 for mine and get great groups with 2400. Will have to try your 4227 load!

AS far as brass goes I picked up a brand new bag of Winchester for $20.00 bucks at a gun swap and shop the other day. That was the good news,there was another bag there that I did not buy , it is possible I should be kicked square in the junk for not getting that second bag.