PDA

View Full Version : Real Heroes--WW II rare color footage of aircraft carrier operations

Recluse
04-11-2011, 10:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=9dR3h2HdnBQ

This is simply unbelievable.

I've always maintained that it took a certain "something extra" for someone to volunteer and join the armed forces. The men in this feature epitomize that certain "something extra."

:coffee:

frankenfab
04-11-2011, 11:00 PM
Pretty awesome!

smoked turkey
04-11-2011, 11:04 PM
Awesome footage. Every person on board no matter what job they did are heroes. Once again our men and women of the armed forces make us proud. Thanks for posting this to give us a glimpse of what happened on board these mighty vessels.

waksupi
04-12-2011, 12:07 AM
Very good. Tough way to make a living, or a dying.

captaint
04-12-2011, 01:04 AM
Very impressive indeed. ALL of our vets deserve a lot of credit... We put it on the line...enjoy Mike

Bad Water Bill
04-12-2011, 01:17 AM
Even with todays technology the most dangerous 5 ACRES ON EARTH is the flight deck of a carrier.

When I was in the navy I served with many of the sailors and pilots that saw action on those fantastic ships.

6.5 mike
04-12-2011, 02:38 AM
7 cruises chasing planes up & down the deck. Troubleshooter in attack squadrons (A-7s). Seen just about anything & everything that can go bad happen more then once. Ended up in safety dept in a helo command, walked off the deck bout 20 minutes before a F 14 hit the round down on the kitty hawk, 6 weeks before I retired. Figured I had used up all my luck then, 3rd ramp strike I had been envolved in. Time to go.

DCP
04-12-2011, 11:44 AM
Those of us who were born a few yrs after WWII walked among, talked to and learned from these heroes.

They were truly the Greatest Generation. Fewer left today God bless the all.

*Paladin*
04-12-2011, 08:35 PM
Those of us who were born a few yrs after WWII walked among, talked to and learned from these heroes.

They were truly the Greatest Generation. Fewer left today God bless the all.

X2! Certainly a different time in America. Heck, there was a large spike in suicides during WW2 among those that were turned down for service, because they were ashamed of being left a home while their friends went off to war. Even actors in Hollywood volunteered and served with honor. Not like the cowardly, anti-American actors of today! Yes, they were definately the "Greatest Generation"!

Recluse
04-12-2011, 10:12 PM
X2! Certainly a different time in America. Heck, there was a large spike in suicides during WW2 among those that were turned down for service, because they were ashamed of being left a home while their friends went off to war. Even actors in Hollywood volunteered and served with honor. Not like the cowardly, anti-American actors of today! Yes, they were definately the "Greatest Generation"!

I'm going to extend the same platitudes to our Vietnam veterans. In my opinion, they were THE greatest generation of veterans this nation has ever had.

It was a hugely unpopular war (as though war is supposed to be popular. . . :rolleyes:), poorly run (thank you LBJ, you SOB), as vicious of a war as our nation had ever seen in terms of there being ZERO honor displayed from the other side, and the absolutely lousy reception our returning vets received at airports, train and bus stations, and even in their home towns is a shame we will NEVER be able to live down.

Yet, these men and women joined up, went away and did their duty anyhow.

I joined the Air Force a few years after Vietnam was over and Cambodia was firing up with the Khmer Rouge and Pol Pot. The NCOs and officers that trained me/us had all done in-country time. They were among the finest of people I could ever be privileged to meet, serve with or serve under.

Period.

In WWII, we had rallies and patriotic songs and parades and huge patriotic efforts to support our soldiers and sailors.

In Vietnam, we had Kent State, the 1968 Chicago Democratic Convention, Jane Effing Fonda and ilk, Traitor John "swift boat" Kerry. . . we had long-haired maggot-infested dopeheads and college pukes burning their draft cards and running off to Canada.

I'll never--repeat NEVER--forgive the Peanut Farmer for giving them blanket amnesty. And to this day, I still have big problems with Canada as a whole for letting our slime ooze their way into their country and live comfortably.

Every time we're in DC, we visit The Wall. And every time, without fail, I sob like a baby. There are a few names on there that I know. There are names on there who were the brothers of airmen who trained me a few years later. Every single name on that wall is a real American who went and did his or her duty in spite of the incredible lack of support and outright hostility that existed at the time right here at home.

I'm not taking anything away from WWII vets. My father-in-law, God rest his Marine Raider soul, was a decorated WWII veteran. But the Vietnam generation of veterans are tops in my book.

And I am damned proud to have been trained by them and to have served with them and under them. And I am forever eternally grateful for their dedication and sacrifice.

:coffee:

04-12-2011, 11:00 PM
Phew, that last one got to me, Recluse.

I can only hope that I loaded the various ordnance and maintained the weapons systems of at least one of the pilots who trained you.

I've not been to Washington, but have seen the Vietnam Memorial Moving Wall twice, and both times were extremely moving. The first time, I was alone and viewed it at a distance as I couldn't bring myself to get any closer. The second time, my wife was with me and I was able to walk the wall's length.

Viet Nam '68-'69

Tom-ADC
04-14-2011, 12:30 PM
I've spent a lot of time on the roof, both as a checker and as a flightdeck coordinator, and from 68-71 I landed and took off (trap & cat shot) from every carrier the US Navy owned except the Lexington.
Dangerous place for sure but I always felt better being able to see what was going on around me.

Charley
04-14-2011, 04:48 PM
Unless I remember incorrectly, the early stuff in that compliation is some of the earliest color combat footage in history. All the 8th and 9th AF stuff from Europe was B&W, color went to the Pacific. The shot of the -3 Hellcat with the red surround to the insignia can't be dated later than mid to late 1943. Much of the color footage was missing for years, and finally surfaced in the late 60s/early 70s.

The later stuff, like the Helldiver hitting the water by the fantail, and the F6F-5 breaking up on landing has been around and around for years. Always good to see, though.

Charlie Two Tracks
04-14-2011, 06:52 PM
I had an opportunity to go to the wall but just can't do it. A high school buddy I enlisted with got it the first misson out. Hmmmmm I think I will think of something different. I couldn't get my computer to download the clip. My connection speed is pretty low. Thanks Recluse. I volunteered for the Army in 69 and for Viet-Nam in 1970. My brother was over there at the time and they wouldn't send you if a brother or sister was over there. I wanted to go and I think I'm glad I did.

NoDakJak
04-14-2011, 11:15 PM
Thanks Recluse, You stated my position perfectly. I spent ten years in Naval Aviation before I switched to the Air Force. Much of that time was spent on the flight deck. We usually lost more enlisted men off the flight deck than we did pilots. It was dangerous but sure was exciting. I loved it when I was single but that changed when I married and had children. i figuerd that I ws running out of luck and switched to the Air Force.
I wrote a reply to you last night in much more detail but the gremlins must have eaten it. Neil

looseprojectile
04-26-2011, 03:51 PM
I have launched and trapped from the USS Lexington in the A3D Skywarrior.
The pucker factor is the same.
When stationed in Pensacola Florida I had some conversations with some of the Chief APs left from WW2. The stories they told.
Few people know that the US Navy had enlisted pilots. I flew with two of them.

Life is good

Char-Gar
04-26-2011, 05:29 PM
Not a helpful thing to try and compare the service of one generation to another. From 1776 until today, men and women have been buying and preserving our liberty will blood and tears. I don't cherry pick among them for heroes. From Valley Forge to Afghanistan, they were all hell on earth.

*Paladin*
04-26-2011, 07:10 PM
Not a helpful thing to try and compare the service of one generation to another. From 1776 until today, men and women have been buying and preserving our liberty will blood and tears. I don't cherry pick among them for heroes. From Valley Forge to Afghanistan, they were all hell on earth.

Thanks Chargar- Well said.

Lonerider
04-26-2011, 10:17 PM
Thanks Recluse for posting the link.

I served on a tincan '77 to '81, on a DE/FF. On occassion, we would fuel along side the carriers.....all I can say is.....WOW! Top of our mast were level with their fligh deck.

Thank you to all that have served and those that are currently serving!

Lonerider