PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Velocitors?

dualsport
04-11-2011, 02:47 AM
I have liked this load from CCI but have not really tested it much. I shoot rifles and handguns in .22 and sometimes want that heavy load. Anyone have some experience with Velocitors? Accuracy, reliable function, good effect?

DragoonDrake
04-11-2011, 12:31 PM
I shoot them in a Win 52b at 100yards and can cover my group with a dime. Sorry no pics. I use them for hunting rabbits in the winter.

dualsport
04-11-2011, 01:01 PM
Wow. OK, that covers accuracy pretty good. That Winchester must really be something, I'm not familiar with that model, but it proves the ammo has inherent accuracy beyond anything I would have guessed when the right shooter uses the right gun. Now I'll have to scope up my CZ 452 Lux and see how it compares. To be honest I'd be tickled to get 1" at 50 yds. let alone 100. I stockpiled a lot of Velocitors back when I was still working and it was cheaper for the day when I'm retired and broke. Guess what? Time to start shooting it up. On a side note I read about a load from Aguila that supposedly beats the Velocitors in energy and accuracy, but haven't got any yet. Something like a 40 gr. at 1500 fps IIRC.

fecmech
04-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Maybe I got a bad box or something but out of my 5.5" buckmark pistol they were slower than Federal Champion HV 40 gr. Out of the Buckmark they were 1012 fps for Velocitors and 1020 fps for standard Champion HV. Fedeal bulk pack 36 gr HP's are 996 fps out of the Buckmark. I'm totally underwhelmed by Velocitors.

DragoonDrake
04-13-2011, 09:35 AM
fecmech, I don't have a chrony so I don't know the velocity. I was looking for accuracy and that was about it.

Adam

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
04-13-2011, 04:10 PM
Duelsport,

The groups DragoonDrake is getting could be more to do with the quality of barrel on his Model 52, then the quality of ammo.

Your CZ452, has a very good rep in that area also, at least from reports of the many happy CZ owners who post on Rimfire Central.

However, a friend and I had a "shoot off" summer before last, he with his Savage Mark I single shot target rifle and me with my Clark Custom 77/22.

That time, we used mostly target/match ammo, including Laupa, Eley, Wolf, the good old Fed. Gold Metal match, Rem./Eley and some others.

That go around, Jack's rifle shot so well, it made me wonder at the value of my much more expensive .22, as his rifle about equaled and in a few cases surpassed mine for groups.

Then this past summer we had another go round, but with typical off the shelf .22 ammo.

Whole different story this time. While my CRuger kept on shoot'in great groups, some equal to the groups with match ammo, Jacks rifle lagged well behind with only a few nicer groups.

Although many if not most .22s will shot OK once the favored ammo is found, AND providing you stay with ammo of the same lot #, Barrel quality can make a huge difference in what and how many ammos shoot well in that gun.

I guess the point should be, don't dispare if your rifle doesn't happen to grove with the Velociters.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

fecmech
04-14-2011, 05:16 PM
fecmech, I don't have a chrony so I don't know the velocity. I was looking for accuracy and that was about it.

Adam

No problem. I had purchased them to use in my S&W 34 (Kit Gun) which I carry quite a bit on walks in the winter time as kind of a "Max Effort" .22. I wanted 40 grs and max velocity so they were disappointing to me. I ended up using Stingers as they gave me 1225FPS out of the 4" Kit Gun although they were only 33 grs..

Smoke-um if you got-um
04-14-2011, 06:13 PM
I bought 500 of them a couple of yrs ago and they chronographed at 1320fps out of a Rem. 541T HB. I was disappointed with the speed but the accuracy was acceptable at less than 1/2inch at 50yds. I used them but limited my shots to head only, the same as my other 22 rounds. All in all, I wasn't impressed.

Mike

dualsport
04-16-2011, 12:55 AM
Thanks for the input. I'll chrono some of the Velocitors and see if they hold up to factory specs speed wise. Gotta find something that likes 'em, I got a lot when they were about $2 a box cheaper. Don't shoot my .22s enough, that's for sure. I got a brick of the Aguila SSS 60 gr. load to play with too.

jh45gun
04-16-2011, 09:10 PM
Like every 22 ammo what might shoot good in one gun might not in an other you need to try them all and see what your gun likes. Just because some one can get dime groups with a ammo at a given range does not mean you and your rifle will duplicate that feat.

NickSS
04-18-2011, 05:10 AM
I tried them in my CZ 452 Lux and it shot just fine out to 200 yards. I was able to knock over 10 4 inch chicken targets out of 10 firing from a rest.

Southern Son
04-18-2011, 09:21 AM
My CZ model 2 DON'T like them, or the Stingers. I was getting good results with the Winchester PowerPoints, but they might have changed the load cause the last lot I bought my rifle didn't shoot nearly as well as they used to. As others have said .22s play buy their own rules.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
04-18-2011, 11:56 AM
Southern Son,

The difference you found in the Winchester Power Point .22s, may have been nothing more then a Lot to Lot difference.

That is the reason the very serious .22 target shooters buy up as much of a proven lot as they can find or afford.

Buying a box, or a few boxes at a time, they would forever be chasing that tiny group they need/require. Then about the time they found - again - what was shooting good in their gun, they'd - again - be out of ammo and need to start all over - again!

Shorty after I bought my Clark Custom, the owner of an area sporting good shop, offered me a good price on a "brick" of the old Federal Gold Metal UltraMatch, the same stuff used back aways to win Olympic medals.

He had bought some of the UltaMatch .22s and due to the price they were a very slow mover!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The current Fed. match offerings, ARE NOT the same thing as the old product, no matter what the ads may say!

I think Darrell Tonn had about 3 bricks in stock and offered it to me for something in the 70 dollar range. Should have bought it all. Not that I am going on to a bunch of small bore matches, but that ammo is one of the number the Clark does well with and today, the price would be a great deal.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

DragoonDrake
04-18-2011, 12:39 PM
I do what Crusty suggests. I found that my rifle liked velocitors so I bought one brick. I don't shoot them that often though. I usually shoot CCI standard velocity. Three of my guns shoot that well so I bought 2 cases of the same lot that I test fired.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
04-18-2011, 01:11 PM
Way to go DragoonDrake!

Wanting to see just what my rifle will do, I have bought some of the high priced Lapua, Eley and some others, just for the fun of seeing those tiny groups appear on the targets.

But with Lapua and some others pushing $20.00 for a box of 50, glad it is a fun thing with me and not something I need for a match every weekend for the summer.

By the way, on the high priced Lapua, they come in 2 different dia. - "L & M" - and just like lot # differences, the different dia. did make a group difference in my firearms.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Southern Son
04-19-2011, 09:05 AM
You could be right about the PowerPoint, Crusty.

You are definately right about the Federal Match ammo. My 1411 loved the old Federal Gold Medal Match, the 900, not the 900B. The club I was shooting with was ordering large batches of it and selling it to memebers. I didn't have any money so the last time the took orders for another batch I declined to order any. Then they discontinued it. The new stuff is just plain rubbish.

I read somewhere on the Internet (and lets face it, this is where all the best and most true information comes from), that Federal and Eley were now owned by the same company and they decided that they shouldn't compete against each other, so the only stuff that could compete with the Eley target ammo (Gold Medal Match and Ultra Match), was discontinued.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
04-19-2011, 12:33 PM
Morn'in SouthernSon,

Just watched a DVD about Queensland yesterday.

You have some very interesting country down under!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I, be'in an Ol'Coot, really don't like the companies buying up each other!

I think it does not do shooters any good when competition is gone because all the names are really just different signs in the lawn, but behind the front door it is just one company.

Looling on my stash of Fed. Gold metal UltraMatch and can't find the "900 or 900B.

I see lot #s and order #s but can't pin down the other info.

My ammo is the dimple headed product which Fed. used to make, packed in the plastic push open boxes.

Good stuff.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

DragoonDrake
04-19-2011, 12:37 PM
Crusty comically enough I tried lapua and eley. I think I ended up buying five or so different boxes. None of them would shoot for me. Maybe it was all mental cause I felt kinda sick spending that much on 22 ammo. I won't go over $8 a 50. I really like $2 a 50. I also never had much luck with bulk ammo either though.

stubshaft
04-19-2011, 08:21 PM
You could be right about the PowerPoint, Crusty.

You are definately right about the Federal Match ammo. My 1411 loved the old Federal Gold Medal Match, the 900, not the 900B. The club I was shooting with was ordering large batches of it and selling it to memebers. I didn't have any money so the last time the took orders for another batch I declined to order any. Then they discontinued it. The new stuff is just plain rubbish.

I read somewhere on the Internet (and lets face it, this is where all the best and most true information comes from), that Federal and Eley were now owned by the same company and they decided that they shouldn't compete against each other, so the only stuff that could compete with the Eley target ammo (Gold Medal Match and Ultra Match), was discontinued.

IMHO - The only way that Federal could compete with Eley is if they used Eley primed cases with a FC headstamp. ASFAIK Federal still uses a wet priming mix.

Southern Son
04-22-2011, 01:07 AM
Crusty, the stuff I was using did not have the dimple on the point. The 900 was supersonic and the 900b was subsonic. Both were the Gold Medal Match, there was also the Ultra Match, but that was too expensive even for big competitions (Dragoondrake complaining about 8 bucks for fifty made me smile, we are paying around $20.00 for Eley Match locally).

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
04-22-2011, 12:10 PM
SouthernSon,

That explains a bit, the stuff I have is the Gold Metal "UltraMatch" and went for about 7 - 8 dollars per 50 when I bought my stash. GOOD STUFF!!

It is no longer available unless you find someone with a bit stashed back. I think I have about 9 fresh boxes.

When I bought the small amount of Lapua for my fun tests - 2 different kinds, and "L & M" in both kinds, - it was in the range of 15 - 17 per 50. Afraid to look now!

By the way, if you want to chase the info down on RimFire Central, there is some tie in with the upper end .22 Wolf products and Lapua.

Been awhile but I have read about that cross over on that forum.

Forget what it is, but the cases both have the same head stamp.

One of the Wolf match products is the go to ammo for my RUGER Mark II SlabSide.

With a 2X Leupold scope, w/paralax set to 25yds. by Leupold, the gun will put 10 shots into a ragged hole at the 25yd mark.

The wolf does well in my Clark Custom 77/22, just not as good as some of the other match products.

SNOW here this morn'in!!!!!!!!!! Thought Spring was here. NOT! About 2" and still com'in down.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

DragoonDrake
04-22-2011, 12:39 PM
S.S. you are paying HOW MUCH??!!!

Got-R-Did
05-04-2011, 04:07 PM
The Federal Match ammo I test fired in my Rem 40X HB had a dimple on the case head and was packaged in the slide out tray box. I have kept the boxes and just checked to find I have ten rounds of each of the UM1 lot #s 600 and 464. I remember the groups were astonishing even out of my 1964 built 40X, mind you it had a Burris 8-32X44 Signature scope on it at the time. I recall that some of the Russian ammo of the same time period also had the dimple based cases to enhance ignition of the propellant charge.
As for the Wolf ammo, it is now made in Germany by the S&K ammunition company, and has been for many years. S&K Jagd in Schonebeck/Elbe Germany makes a variant called Standard Plus that is still reasonably priced (compared to RWS, Eley, Lapua, etc) ammunition that groups very well out of a variety of precision rimfire rifles I have had the pleasure to work with over the years.
Got-R-Did

Got-R-Did
05-04-2011, 04:36 PM
Forgot to mention that the Velocitors have been deadly out of my Marlin 39D on Coyotes. Trying to thin the pack that is running the farm I help manage in Trimble Co., KY. Usually one hit behind the foreleg does the trick within 100 yds. Sit in the loft of the barn and put out old deer meat or trimmings/bones from a local butcher and just wait for them to come in.
Got-R-Did

Southern Son
05-05-2011, 05:12 AM
DragoonDrake,
Mate, everything is more expensive for shooting down here. I am paying more than $40.00 (Getting much closer to $50.00) for a Locally made smokeless powder called AR2208. You guys call it Varget, and I am told can get it for $30.00. It is made here (actually down south at the Mulwex Plant), then shipped to the US, where it is put into different packaging to be sold at a little over half what we pay??????? Shipping it must be reall cheap, like so cheap that they make money by just sending it to the US.
On the rimfire ammo front, I have not been shooting much rimfire of late, so I don't know what the hot ammo is down here, I do know that I miss the Federal Match 900.

superscifi12
05-07-2011, 11:38 PM
I personally like velocitors more than interceptors due to being slightly more accurate in my 77/22 with a GM running boar barrel and rifle basix trigger. (gotta compare apples to apples) but if it's velocitors vs anything, Aguila SuperExtra Ammunition 22 Long Rifle Subsonic 38 Grain Lead Hollow Point in the same 77/22 is awesome. All shots it the same ragged hole (benched and bagged rifle)

cajun shooter
05-29-2011, 09:42 AM
I will say this about the velocitor ammo. I have a SS 22 AMT small back up pistol. I love it's size and handling abilities. The problem that it had was finding a ammo that it liked or you would have a jamb before the magazine was empty. Well, the Velocitor has filled the bill. Since I started shooting it in my AMT, I have had no stoppage or failure to fire. It rips that mag empty and puts it in the place it was designed to perform it's duty.