PDA

View Full Version : Did a little casting today ( picks )

gray wolf
04-10-2011, 07:28 PM
Well what do you know a little sunshine and 60*.
I scrambled to get my portable table set up on the deck and did some casting today.
A little of this and a little of that. I couldn't smelt anything because the propane tank is in a little shed under the snow.
I thought I would give the brass mold a go and cast some 45 ACP hollow points.
20# of my WW with a pound of Lino ( thanks to my special friend ) and a dribble of tin.
Dribble ? is that a new measurement ? Think a tiny bit.
I used saw dust for flux and it worked just fine. I am always amazed at how clean it keeps my pot. All the ingots were nice and clean, and that surely helps.
I cast about 150 HP and took a few pics. Some bullets with my 45, the casting area and a pick of our truck with the house in the background.
The house is the little wooden building, Ha, HA. It's small but it's home EH.
When I got done I had about 700 very nice 200 grain 45 ACP hollow points.
The brass mold was cleaned with very hot water and Dawn dish soap.
No other solvents were used, IMHO it's not needed, I may add the mold was very well oiled before I cleaned it. I don't have a hot plate so I pre heated the mold on the kitchen stove. I use the wood stove thermometer and get the stove up to
up to 600 * by the time I get it outside and apply the Bull plate it's just about ready to take the lead. My pot was hovering right at 700* and I kept it at that temp. for the whole session.
I had a nice day while Julie rested in the house. ( she had been to town already.)
So my friends that is how I spent most of the afternoon.
Did I stretch the story out enough ??

Jailer
04-10-2011, 07:49 PM
Those look great.

I can't wait for my 4 cavity Mihec HP mold to get here from the group buy. I'm going to be a casting fool once it does.

cavalrymedic
04-10-2011, 07:56 PM
Sounds like a good day of making boolits. We've had two weeks of 80-90 degree weather and I'm starting to miss winter allready. I did some casting last week in the tack room in my barn. I'm going to have to seriously reevaluate my ventilation plan. When I was smelting, of course, I got lots of smoke from the w/w. I have a window with a nice box fan pulling the air outside, but it just wasn't enough this time. I think the high humidity must have some effect on making the smoke heavier or something. Anyway, I'm glad you had a good day and I hope you have many more to come.

Cherokee
04-10-2011, 08:36 PM
Today was the nicest day we have had this year. Did some loading, casting will come later this week.

RugerFan
04-10-2011, 09:37 PM
Looking good! I did a lot of brass prep today. Maybe some casting tomorrow.

CWME
04-10-2011, 09:42 PM
Looks good Gray Wolf! I did a few Hps tonight myself for the new 380 auto. It was a great day to be in Maine.

ph4570
04-10-2011, 09:46 PM
Looks like a nice pile of boolits. Sounds like a good day.

1Shirt
04-10-2011, 09:49 PM
Any day you can cast, or load, or shoot, and not work for somebody else is a good day!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

RobS
04-10-2011, 10:00 PM
Nice truck...............it's been a while, has the new worn off yet? Do the hounds still get their Sunday drive too?

Nice boolits and the 1911 is pretty darn nice as well.

gray wolf
04-11-2011, 07:59 AM
Hey RobS

Nice of you to ask. As a matter of fact---NO--- the new has not worn off.
As for me when I look at my new old truck I see more than a 1998 Ford Expedition.
I see and feel the closeness of hundreds of fine folks that helped Julie and I like never before.
She got through the winter just fine, always said GO and never said NO. We love it and it has been a blessing to us. Now for the hounds, well they own the back of it. I can't even jingle the keys without them getting nuts for a ride. We took the first back seat out and left the rear seat in. The one close to the back window. Well that is Queen Ashly's place.
Sophie has the rest.
Makes me feel good just talking about the whole thing.
Sorry for the thread drift.

RobS
04-11-2011, 12:25 PM
Drift if you want, it is your tread after all :). I know that all of us here that helped create those feeling of gratitude that you and Julie have were more than willing and smile just the same as you with the experience. Glad to see you shootin and castin and with the warmer weather soon to be consistent up there it looks like you are gearing up for it.

Wayne Smith
04-11-2011, 12:48 PM
Since the thread started with a drift - shed under snow (drift) - I guess a little thread drift is expected! Nice looking boolits and nice gun and nice truck! Great way to use a weekend.

Recluse
04-11-2011, 01:15 PM
Don't know what I enjoyed looking at more--the casting and boolits, the 1911 and boolits, or the truck and some Maine trees in the background.

Hard to believe you had 60 degree weather and still had all that snow on the ground. Then I had to remind myself you're so far north that Santa and Mrs. Claus come over for hot chocolate in the evenings. . . :)

Don't know if the wife and I will be getting back up to Maine this summer. Fuel prices have doubled since last summer--we've cut back on a lot of our flying.

:coffee:

exile
04-11-2011, 01:32 PM
Glad to see the Lord made a way for you to buy a nice truck. Hope everything else is going well. Nice boolits!

exile