PDA

View Full Version : I Cant decide

Thinktwicez71
04-10-2011, 10:08 AM
hey guys/gals

i am about to pull the trigger on a 45acp round nose mold , but i can't decide what one to get :Fire::confused:

i have it between a lyman 4 cavity 452374 round nose , and a saeco 456 round nose . the saeco is almost twice as much , but i hear they are great molds. the saeco also has a definate front driveing band while the lyman doesnt. is there an advantage to either one of these over the other ? and is the driveing band on the saeco a good thing or a bad ? would the flat base saeco 456 be a better buy than the saeco bevel base 457 ? or do i want the bevel base

and is feeding reliabily in my springfield trp change with either one , will the lip on the saeco cause a problem feeding ?

sorry for the million questions , i messed up my lee mold yesterday , time for a good upgrade :twisted:

does anyone have an loaded pictures of a saeco 456, or 457 mold ?

mdi
04-10-2011, 11:08 AM
Don't know about the Saeco molds, but I do have a Lyman 452374 mold. I have two guns in 45 ACP, a Rock Island 1911, and a Ruger P90 and both feed and shoot this boolit accurately. I use a homemade lube (Speed Green) and size them to about .451". Since the full diameter is just a hair out of the case mouth for my reloads, I don't see much difference with a dedicated driving band, but I don't shoot Bullseye or competition. 2" groups at 12 yards common with my Ruger...

RobS
04-10-2011, 11:19 AM
I don't know about the Redding/Saeco mold other than the company seems to produce good quality molds for the most part. Lyman use to have good quality, but now a days their quality control is so bad that many of their molds are running small and out of round. A year and a half ago I purchased a 452374 cast out at .447-.450 sent it back to Midway for another one that cast out at .459-.450................back again for a refund. If you are going to spend the $$$ on a Saeco then you can have a custom mold maker design you exactly what you want/need. Tom at Accurate Molds can make you up an aluminum 3 cavity for $103 shipped and make you whatever your heart desires.

geargnasher
04-10-2011, 11:28 AM
I don't think you'd have a problem with either one, provided they cast round boolits of the correct diameter (or larger) for your gun.

The front driving band to which you refer is the result of reducing the nose base diameter, and that is sometimes done to help clear the slide stop lever. If the boolit is too fat right in front of the case mouth (like the Lee 452-229-1R) it can snag the slide stop lever and cause premature lock.

Here's my solution, and recommendation if you want a good .45 ACP boolit: Of course it was my idea!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28901&d=1296091775

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27892&d=1293080265

This is Accurate Molds # 45(3)-230-L, made to fit my gun. Check it out on accuratemolds dot com.

Gear