PDA

View Full Version : 311284 Hp .3155

swampmaster
12-10-2006, 12:33 PM
Help Did I mess up? I have a Mould I just love the bullets it makes it is a 311284 SC Hollow Point, It makes a deep cavity,I made some up a couple months ago and because it takes so long to make them I make up a few everytime I fire up the pot. Anyway I got another lurisizer set up for Rifle and decided to get some 30 cal bullets ready and did some RCBS 30-180 FN,311291,and tried to do the 311284HP but when running it through the .311 sizer die the nose was collapsing inside itself and was very hard to size,So I decided to check soem of the unsized bullets and they are about .3155, Do these bullets grow or did I wait to long to size them, or this a common problem with the deep HP? Any tips tricks or Ideas?

Char-Gar
12-10-2006, 05:23 PM
You didn't mention the alloy, but that might not make much difference. It sounds like the pressure on the nose to size the bullets .0045 was more than the nose could take and it rolled snake eyes.

A Lee nose first/push on the base .311 sizing die should cure your problem.

Sam
12-10-2006, 05:30 PM
I have had good sucess making top punches with fitted posts to size HPs.
It uniforms the HP cavity and places the stress where it won't harm anything in sizing.

Sam

swampmaster
12-10-2006, 06:48 PM
Well a top punch with a pin would be a nice feature, I did try a different nose punch and helped some it closed the hole up a little but not much atleast I know the cavity is still there.

I had thought about the lee push through die but I would still need to run it through the lubrisizer for the Lube part of it

The only other think I can think of is to get rid of all three lubrisizers and get a star nose first , but i have also heard of stories that they are hard to set up and expensive to buy all the dies for

DOUBLEJK
12-11-2006, 06:57 AM
I cast lots of HP's in pistol sizes outa 20-1 lead to tin which are pretty weak to size conventionly with out deforming em...and I always do em as suggested above....it werks...:-D
After runnin' em thru the LEE push thru it won't smash em none when ya run em thru the lubrisizer...least not as long as ya sized em to a size same as or smaller than yer lubrisizer die...:)

Bret4207
12-11-2006, 08:00 AM
Notice! That HP mould is defective!!! You better send it to me post haste so I can properly , uh..., dispose of it!!! Yeah, thats it. I'll dispose of it for you.

Seriously, I think the Lee push through idea would work, you lucky dog.

Char-Gar
12-11-2006, 08:25 AM
Buckshot makes a cute little nose punch for hollow points he calls the "nose picker". It not only hold the cavity open, but opens it up a mite and creates a meplat.

Maineboy
12-11-2006, 10:50 AM
Swampmaster, the Lee push through sizers are pretty cheap. It doesn't sound like you cast a whole lot of these, so the extra step shouldn't be too time consuming. If you do get frustrated and decide to get rid of the mould, I'll take it. I saw where a 311334HP went for over $150 on Ebay a few weeks ago.

9.3X62AL
12-11-2006, 11:03 AM
A Lyman nominal 30 caliber mold that casts at .3155" is a thing that MANY here would love to own for their Fat Thirty Milsurps. You could also try sizing/lubing in a Lyman .314" die first, then "stepping down" in one or two increments to the desired diameter.

swampmaster
12-11-2006, 05:16 PM
I know I should Not complain,about casting at .3155 and I think it may work good on some heavy fat thirtys as this with GC and lube comes in at 193 grain,I will try to get ahould of Buckshot to check on the nosepicker does anyone have one they are not using?,I also saw the mould on ebay sell for alitle over 160.00 and I thought wow maybe I should cast up a bunch of these (lifetime supply)and then sell the mould and reinvest in others less valuable, I will check around local shops to see about the lee sizer die or will add one to my next Midway order.

Now what can I use these bullets in and on. I dont hunt,and have no real need for these but LOVE the look of them they are so Pretty

leftiye
12-21-2006, 06:45 PM
A lyman sizer can be modified to Size, and lube nose first, push through, and push on the base. You have to remove the bottom punch, and the linkage that pushes on it to eject the booolllittt.

After that you have to make up two "nose punches" that are cylindrical and have some extra length in a cylindrical section. The nose punch which Lyman makes is replaced with a pin the length of the bullet nose that will fit inside the cavity of the "nose punches."

One of these sleeves with the nose cavity is placed in the die with the cavity to accept the bullet nose up. The bullet is placed nose down in the cavity. The other sleeve is placed over the pin on the ram, and pushes against the base of the bullet, pushing the bullet through the die, and remains in the die waiting for the next boolitt. You will need to provide for catching the boolit, and the sleeve.