PDA

View Full Version : Lee Liquid Alox -- good, bad, or what?

Char-Gar
12-10-2006, 08:37 AM
I have a couple of bottle of LLA in my loading stuff, but have never used it. A tour around the various boards show many folks who think it is just the huckleberry. However we have folks show up here, with problems that can be traced to the use of the stuff.

I don't really plan of using the stuff, being well satisfied with my lubes. I am just wondering about the status of thinking about LLA by the cognocenti of this board.

Bret4207
12-10-2006, 09:04 AM
I've had good luck with it as a bore conditioner in pitted wrecks and in tumble lubing various booits. I'm not a speed freak so I haven't explored it's fail point. I think for peestol and plinking type loads it's excellent, provided the indiviual gun will take too it and you're not pushing the edge of warp factor 6.

Larry Gibson
12-10-2006, 09:04 AM
I have a couple of bottle of LLA in my loading stuff, but have never used it. A tour around the various boards show many folks who think it is just the huckleberry. However we have folks show up here, with problems that can be traced to the use of the stuff.

I don't really plan of using the stuff, being well satisfied with my lubes. I am just wondering about the status of thinking about LLA by the cognocenti of this board.

Charger

"However we have folks show up here, with problems that can be traced to the use of the stuff."

Might want to change that to "miss-use" of the the stuff. Much like the thread on that bad, bad dacron stuff and those terrible Ruger barrels where it is "said"....yah, yah, yah........

Anything used correctly most often works fine, anything missued most often doesn't. Is that too hard to figure out? It appears it is a human trait to blame inanimate objects for failings instead of our own missuse of those inanimate objects. BTW; I use LLA for some applications (within it's intended frame of use) and it works fine.

Larry Gibson

Ranch Dog
12-10-2006, 09:21 AM
I've been using it in all my TLC designs... all the levers from 30-30 Win though the 450 Marlin. 1600 to 2500 FPS. There are a lot of thoughts on wax and mine is that it is simply a seal. Once the LLA is applied as instructed and allowed to dry, it is just as tough as any wax I've worked with to remove, may be tougher. I don't believe any wax can correct bore or boolit problems...

RayinNH
12-10-2006, 11:06 AM
Chargar, I've used it in the past and had good luck with it. I don't use it anymore as a boolit lube. Now when I use a firearm that doesn't get used often, instead of running an oily patch down the tube, I run a patch with LLA instead before putting it away. After all the Alox was designed as a rust preventative...Ray

imashooter2
12-10-2006, 11:44 AM
I used it in .30/30 and .357 mag fo0r some time. It worked fine, but I stopped using it and got a lubrisizer because I didn't like the lube on the bullet noses.

SharpsShooter
12-10-2006, 12:03 PM
I've used it in the 8mm and 45lc with no problems on regular grease groove boolits. That said, I switched to BullShop's #2 lube in the 8mm without changing anything else and did see substantially smaller groups. In the 45lc I have tried both and see no difference in accuracy I can lube a 100 45lc boolits with LLA in a very short time and dry them with a blow dryer for loading the same evening.

SS

30yrcaster
12-12-2006, 02:01 AM
Don't know what bullets you plan on using it on. I use it on swaged 38 cal wadcutters that are made from 99% pure lead and are knurled. No leading!! I heat the stuff up by putting the bottle in hot water from the tap. Depending on the outside air temp, it may need to be thinned out. I believe the directions mentione this. I then dribble some on a tray then roll the bullets on it and put them on another tray to dry.

Newtire
12-12-2006, 09:40 AM

Messy but great stuff. Like it for pistol as well as .30 cal up to the 2300 fps or so (estimated) I have loaded it to. Bad if you are shooting indoors for all the smoke it makes. People on the range once in awhile look funny at me but I kind of like to be different anyway.

Buckshot
12-13-2006, 03:15 AM
...............I like it and basicly use it for 2 things. All my lead 38 WC's are lube exclusively with it. All my bore rider rifle slugs get swizzled around in a greatly thinned mix. Later they'll get sent through the lube-sizer for a dose of other lube to fill the lube grooves. The very light coating of LLA on the bore rider noses makes a noticeable difference in the ease of engraving.

...............BUckshot

Ed Barrett
12-13-2006, 04:47 AM
I have used it for all sorts of pistol bullets, both tumble lube grooved and regular and it has always done well. I have used it in 38, 357, 44mag and Spl. 45 colt and 454 in rifles up to 2400 fps and it seems to hold up there too.

jonk
12-13-2006, 03:50 PM
I've never had any trouble with it in any application. With suitable powder at suitable velocity, no leading. I used to use it exclusively, but since I got a good deal on a used RCBS Lubrisizer and do get a bit anal retentive about the appearence of my loaded ammo, I now use a lot of Feelix lube as well. Honestly, I don't see a difference in performance from anything I shoot, and like the LLA for some guns that have oversized bores as it can be applied without sizing.

9.3X62AL
12-13-2006, 04:46 PM
Real limited use here.....as a coating for the few paper-patched boolits I've assembled and tested, and as a pre-lube in a "dry" barrel--a couple drops on a bore patch, squeezed into the material, then run down the barrel before the first shot with castings.