PDA

View Full Version : My Lyman GPR kit finished

Fly
04-08-2011, 05:45 AM
http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i384/Fly61/DSCN0441.jpg

Just testing to see if picture took here.
Fly

scrapcan
04-08-2011, 10:45 AM
picture looks good. now tell us about hte rifle and your build. And how are the tomoato plants on the deck?

zorro 5858
04-08-2011, 11:05 AM
NICE job like the polishing you done on rifle. had a factory 54 cal. stock was too dark. give us all the details on this project. :coffeecom

Fly
04-08-2011, 11:37 AM
Well I used NO STAIN.Some of the Lyman euro walnut stocks really look great as is.I used
hand rubbed Real tung oil, four coats & just Johnsons wax on it.

I slow rusted blued the barrel, trigger gard, buttplate & lock.I have only shot about 30
rounds threw it, but she is going to be a tack drive it think.

I have built several kit guns in my life, but never a Lyman.For a factory kit this was
by far the best one I have built.Most kit have stocks that are plain as dirt & you have
to do things to make the stand out.

I really think Lyman has the best factory kit for the money as any I know of.

Fly

04-08-2011, 11:45 AM
The build looks good!

Haven't looked down the bore of a Lyman in at least 20 years- how's the bore look? Consistent? Tight spots? Tool marks? etc? How's the lock? Trigger/sear? Smooth? Rough?

northmn
04-08-2011, 12:20 PM
Very nice job. I would have had to take the picture last summer as we still have snow on the ground.

DP

Fly
04-08-2011, 04:51 PM
405 me being a retired tool & die maker you can only guess I looked the rifle over pretty good.
I really like the dubble set triggers.

There about right for me.I also like the coil main spring like a TC.The only thing I have any
thing on the down side on this gun is the side plate.It has no engraving, just plain looking.

But for the price I can always send it off & have a good engraving job done on it.I truly love
this gun.
Fly

04-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Fly, good to hear about the quality. About the engraving.... even the T/Cs with the "engraving" on the plate aren't really engraved- just a cast piece. For a Plains or Hawken reproduction, which the GPR is supposed to be, a sideplate without engraving or design is more correct for the gun- plain is good for this style :)

Fly
04-08-2011, 07:49 PM
Fly, good to hear about the quality. About the engraving.... even the T/Cs with the "engraving" on the plate aren't really engraved- just a cast piece. For a Plains or Hawken reproduction, which the GPR is supposed to be, a sideplate without engraving or design is more correct for the gun- plain is good for this style :)

Ya your right!I think I will enjoy her as is,Thanks.

Fly [smilie=w:

troyboy
04-08-2011, 10:20 PM
Great looking smoke pole ya got there. Ya must have a real sense of accomplishment with that.

Tom-ADC
04-09-2011, 11:43 AM
Fly nice job, I built a Zoli Zouve maybe 30 years ago found the kit at a Sears parking lot sale, fun shooter 505 gr mini with 60 grs FFg.
I've been thinking of another kit like your's I think the Track of the Wolf kits are out of my skill level but enjoy tinkering.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL174/1021972/1908390/378903457.jpg

Charlie Sometimes
04-10-2011, 11:03 AM
Fly, that looks really nice.
I like the plain and simple beauty of some designs, too- others require decoration.

Put some of your homemade BP in it, and enjoy that rifle! :grin:

Fly
04-11-2011, 11:31 AM
Charlie I have been shooting my powder threw her.I started out using Goex to get a
starting point to see how she would group.The barrel still need to be broke in some
& I she is shooting a little left of center.

I need to move the sight over a tad.But I ,m getting a very tight group with my powder.
I'm going to take some pic's & post soon once I get the ole girl shooting like I know she
can.

I'm will shoot some groups with Goex & then some with home made black powder to show
just how good of powder can be made at home.The home made powder I'm playing with
now is non corned (Pressed) & seems to be shooting as well as the corned I have made.

Still testing but I will post the results with pictures now that I finally figured out how to post
pictures.
Fly

Charlie Sometimes
04-11-2011, 08:34 PM
The barrel still need to be broke in some
& I she is shooting a little left of center.

Maybe that is what is wrong with the liberals- they need broke in! :lol: :kidding:

I anxiously await your results and comparisons. :grin:

Fly
04-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Guy"s I shot another 5 shots down the road with my home made NOT CORNED powder &
at 50 yards off hand got a 2" group.I did not know if none corned powder could do that
for sure or not.

Remember this rifle is not completly broke in yet.I have not worked with differant powder charges or patch thickness yet.I'm pumped.It is shooting about a inch higher than Goex
being it has more power & I exspected that.

But for a non pressed powder I'm excited.I wil keep testing for sure.I'm leaving
for AZ wednesday & they have some of the best public ranges in the US.I plan to shoot
& test out there as much as I can.

When I get back I will post my results.

Fly

Charlie Sometimes
04-11-2011, 09:00 PM
Yes, enjoy your trip, and keep us posted! :smile:
Be safe, and watch out for those left coast liberals. :lol:

waksupi
04-12-2011, 12:29 AM
Sounds like you may have a winner in both powder and rifle. Keep us informed.

Fly
04-12-2011, 10:48 AM
Waksupi a freind gave me a great idea.I of coarse use Goex as a standered for testing.When
I corn (press) my powder the weight is the same as Goex & inturn it measures the same
in your powder measure.

But when you don't press it you must use a binder to hold the grain together & that's not
a problem.The problem comes in when trying to measure it with a ajustable measure.It's not
near as dense so it takes up more volume for the same weight of powder.

I was weighing each volume of Goex, say 70 grains, 60 grains & so on.Then weighing my
powder & trying to keep up with how much more volume I had to open up my powder measure to hold the same weight of powder.

Then a freind said, just weigh your powder to the same weight as Goex & put it in viles.

So I went to the hardware store got some 1/2 pvc pipe & put end caps on it.So if I plan
to shoot 70 grains Goex weighs = 4 grams, just weigh my powder to 4 grams & put it
in the tube & cap.

When you get to the range just pore it down the barrel & forget measuring.It just saves
that extra step of pressing then breaking it up & screening,& seems to work every bit as well.

Let me shoot alot more with this method & I will let you know if it's still as good as it seems.

Fly