PDA

View Full Version : Question about sizing RD TLC432-265-RF

Hanzerik
04-07-2011, 11:40 PM
My question is how much sizing can be done before tumble lube groves become too small/un-usable?

When I measure an unsized boolit, I get .432 at the mold seam area, but on the outside edges of the boolit it is around .435-.437 over sized. When casting I make sure the inside faces of the mold are clean and that I am squeezing the handles tightly, and I don't get fins, and no light can be seen with the mold closed and held up to a light source.

My alloy is straight WWs, air cooled. They were cast last month and sat in my garage is freezing temps.

I tumble lubed 10 random boolits from a batch of about 200 with LLA and let them sit for a few days, then pressed a gas check on and ran them through the sizer. Some were pretty tight through the sizer but they are now a uniform .432 in diameter. The groves along the seam area look good, but the lube groves are not as large now on the "outside" areas, and the rear drive band is elongated a little on the "outside" areas from being squished through the sizer.

Are these still good to go, or should I melt them down and start over? I just don't want to have too little lube, or too small of a lube grove. I did relube with LLA after sizing.

Am I doing something wrong when casting; opening mold too soon, not fast enough. After I fill the mold I wait for the spruce to turn dull, then turn it upside down and press the spruces on a damp towel, then open the spruce plate and let them drop onto a dry folded towel. How long should you wait before opening?

looseprojectile
04-08-2011, 05:07 AM
My RD boolits especially after they are shot and recovered have almost non existant lube grooves. It doesnt take a lot of LLA. I thin mine.

Load some, shoot some then get back here and tell us how it went.
It would help to know what gun and what loads you are using.

Your boolits would probably size easier if you sized them soon after casting them.
Cast boolits harden with age.

Ranch Dog boolits are made for Marlins though I regard them as the best for revolvers and rifles of any make.

Life is good

44man
04-08-2011, 08:42 AM
It is very hard to see through a Lee mold so the blocks still might not be closed tight. The wrong lube on the mold can build up and hold it open some. Bull Plate is the best.

mdi
04-08-2011, 10:52 AM
Alox (lLee tumble lube) needs to be on the bearing surface of the bullet, not just in the grooves like "normal" wax lubes. This is why alox works on standard lube groove boolits too. .432" is prolly a bit oversize (a good thing) for your groove dia. so I would say lube them w/thinned alox or 45-45-10 and shoot 'em up...

pistolman44
04-08-2011, 11:28 AM
I have the same mold but haven't casted with it yet. But I will be sizing it down to .430 using my Lyman 4500 for my DW revolver and Encore. I was wondering too how much can those TL grooves be flatened down sizing .002 too .003" and not cause any leading problems.

mdi
04-08-2011, 11:35 AM
I have the same mold but haven't casted with it yet. But I will be sizing it down to .430 using my Lyman 4500 for my DW revolver and Encore. I was wondering too how much can those TL grooves be flatened down sizing .002 too .003" and not cause any leading problems.

See my post above

plainsman456
04-08-2011, 07:34 PM
From what I have read you should be able to shoot boolits without any lube grooves on them,Cuz that lube coats the outside of the whole boolit.
Right or Wrong?Seems so.

Hanzerik
05-03-2011, 06:57 PM
Alright I found out my problem. I had seen a post made in a thread here not too long ago about a size problem a guy was having, and the poster said make sure you are not squeezing the spruce-plate handle; just the mold block handles. Sure enough, that was my problem...I was squeezing the heck out of all three handles while casting. When you squeeze the spruce-plate handle on the Lee 6 bangers, it forces the block apart a tiny bit. Casted a few hundred bullets and all of them are nice and round, and barely touch the sizing .432 die.

Hanzerik
05-03-2011, 11:05 PM
Here are a couple pics of what I casted today. These are only a couple out of the batch that I threw gas-checks on. Wheel Weights
http://home.bresnan.net/~hanzerik/TLC432-265-RF-1.jpg
http://home.bresnan.net/~hanzerik/TLC432-265-RF-2.jpg