PDA

View Full Version : new mold problem

Buddy
04-07-2011, 11:06 PM
New Lee 451SWCTL is throwing bullets that appear to have the bullet nose off center. Both noses are toward the center of the mold. I'm using straight ww intended as a double duty bullet for a Colt 1911 and a RBH 45 Colt. I started out cold and ran them untill they were frosted with the same results throughout the run. They all mike @ .4525 and weigh between 199.5 and 200.5. Pretty consistent but it just appears the nose of both bullets are toward the center of the mold. Should I keep experimenting or send this thing back to Lee. None of my other Lee SWC molds do this.

onondaga
04-07-2011, 11:33 PM
What do you mean, "Both noses are toward the center of the mold." They are supposed to be. Are you saying that the bullets bases are tilted and not square to the sides of the bullet, so the nose is off center? If that is the case, just send the mold back. That is a no brainier and Lee would replace it immediately.

If you are saying something else, I don't understand you. Please provide close-up pictures that show what you are saying.

Gary

RobS
04-07-2011, 11:38 PM
I'm having a hard time following your description. Is the entire cavity not cut straight resulting in the noses being off center or is the nose of the boolit off centered from the body of the boolit? If you could provide a pic that may help.

Regardlessm if the other molds don't have this issue and the boolits are not coming out right then I would be sending it out the door and back to either the place you bought it from or to Lee.

Jailer
04-07-2011, 11:45 PM
Lube your alignment pins so the block halves will mate properly. I've had this happen myself. You might find that you have to lube them a few times during a casting session to keep the mold blocks meeting evenly.

Buddy
04-08-2011, 12:18 AM
The entire nose of the bullet is off center in relation to the body of the bullet. If you put the bullet base down on the bench and look down as if the bullet was approaching you it's obviously not centered on the body of the bullet. I just thought maybe I was doing something wrong as if the mould was not filling out on one side but it's always casting bullets with the nose slightly off center the body of the bullet. I'm going to reclean and relube the thing tommorrow and give it another try. If I can't figure it out I'll post a picture.

onondaga
04-08-2011, 12:31 AM
That is a serious defect if it is as you say, Just send it back, they will fly all over the place.

Gary

shotman
04-08-2011, 12:52 AM
Hey you are from west virginia everything is a little off center here . Thats why one leg is shorter. Just load them one up and one down . If one dont get them the other will

RobS
04-08-2011, 01:07 AM
+1 on onondaga's last statement..................

44man
04-08-2011, 08:08 AM
If the WW's came from WV cars, that would answer it! :kidding:
Buddy, where are you at in this crooked state?

cajun shooter
04-08-2011, 09:03 AM
I have had Lee moulds with all kinds of problems. Some won't open or close. The blocks become warped and so on. You may be able to fix your current problem and maybe not. Being you stated that it was new I would ship it back so that my warranty would take care of the matter. I had to send one Lee mould back 4 times and decided that I would not put myself through the mess again. I no longer buy the product and my casting sessions have again become fun.

Buddy
04-08-2011, 02:05 PM
Talked to Lee today and they said send it back. 44man I live on a hill overlooking the town of New Martinsville.