PDA

View Full Version : brooklin new york alloy?

mainiac
12-09-2006, 03:24 PM
found a bunch of 4 lb ingots of high speed nickel babbit. Wonder what there composition is? They ring like a bell when you hit them,and can shave off the sides with a knife. Says on them tuftin and brooklin new york. thanks,

Maven
12-09-2006, 04:25 PM
Mainiac, Search Google for Jackson-Wheeler Metals Service, Inc., Brooklyn N.Y. On the right side of the home page, there's a section on Babbits & "Tuftin."
[

Frank46
12-10-2006, 09:22 AM
I have about 9 sticks of hodgdon (spelling?) alox bullet lube. Price paid was .75 cents a stick. So that should give you an idea of its age. I'm guessing about 20 years. Over the years some componet of the lube has penetrated the waxed paper it was in as from the factory. Still slightly greasy to the touch. Comes in two flavors, black or reddish brown. Being frugal (ok cheap) is there anyway to ensure that its still good or do I have to remelt over a double boiler and add some beeswax?. Frank

felix
12-10-2006, 10:43 AM
Frank, just like a different powder lot, just try the lube as is and see if your results on target are up to snuff. ... felix

9.3X62AL
12-10-2006, 02:24 PM
Brooklyn alloy.......I got hold of some Tijuana alloy about a year ago, leftovers from Marie's uncle and his sailboat project. He bought his keel metal in The Land Of Manana, and upon smelting it yielded a LOT of iron filings and beach sand. Once the smelting process was completed, it finished at about WW hardness. Caveat emptor, south of the border especially.