PDA

View Full Version : WalMart handling guns again!

Freightman
04-07-2011, 07:32 PM
The WalMart that is close to me stopped handling guns about a year and half ago, noticed that they were back handling them and ask the Sporting Goods Mgr ( a friend) what the deal was. Here is what he said" the anti gun store mgr. stopped the handling of the guns and said we will make it up with fishing stuff" Well the main office (takes a long time to notice) called my friend and ask what was the deal? to make a long story short they told the store mgr that the guns would be back bt the middle of March or he would be looking for a job. My friend said the sporting goods lost way over half of there business after the guns were taken out.

Trey45
04-07-2011, 07:38 PM
I guess I've been lucky, the Walmart I used to live close to in Chesapeake Va. carries guns and ammo, I used to buy all my bulk pack 22LR there. The one I live close to in Elizabeth City NC carries guns and ammo too, I still buy bulk pack 22LR from Walmart, the one in NC now.

Matter of fact, if I go to the Suffolk Va. Walmart, they have guns and ammo too.

Good news for you! The manager's stupid opinions began costing the corporation profits, and they noticed!

quilbilly
04-07-2011, 08:13 PM
Out here on the Left Coast I hadn't seen guns in WalMarts for years then they built a new one in Port Angeles. Not only does it have guns, it has reloading supplies!!!

Armorer
04-07-2011, 08:19 PM
Most of them down here in the Houston area don't sell guns anymore but they do carry most popular calibers of ammo. At decent prices too. Once you get away from the cities most of them still carry guns though. The coolest Walmart and the one that had the most guns I have ever seen at a Walmart was in Anchorage, AK. Me and the Mrs. went up there last summer for a couple of weeks of camping and photography. We stopped at Wal Mart for supplies and she nearly didn't get me outta there! They even carry Helly Hansen rain gear.

Armorer

04-07-2011, 09:10 PM
Hmmm...I wonder what the Wal-Mart bashers, on that other thread, will have to say. Especially if any of the guns or ammo are not made in America.

Our local store carries neither guns nor ammo.

blasternank
04-07-2011, 09:16 PM
Ours stopped carrying them and I hope like yours they start carrying them again. They carry ammo and such which is good but I'd love to see some guns back.

jcwit
04-07-2011, 09:27 PM
I'm all for the Wal-Marts carring guns, ammo, reloading supplies "wish our locals carried reloading supplies" made here or imported. I would try to buy U.S. if competitive priced as my fixed income only streatches so far.

Sgt Red Leg
04-07-2011, 09:30 PM
Out here in the Peoples Republic of California Wal-Mart could not seem to teach their employees how to complete the required paper work correctly. Several here in the north were caught in straw purchases. Simple stuff that they just should have know better!
There is a saying out there somewhere about ya just can't fix stupid~~~I think it fit here.
Sgt R.L.

R.A.T.S. #381

HANDYMAN
04-07-2011, 09:32 PM
The Walmart here in VT hasn't had guns in years. They stopped carrying them after some one who bought ammo at a Walmart in another state used it to commit a crime. They at least still have ammo.

troyboy
04-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Walmart in Williamsburg sells guns and ammo.

knifemaker
04-07-2011, 09:40 PM
The Walmart stores in CA. had no choice but to quit selling firearms in this state. I talked to a CA. Dept. of justice agent who was involved in the investigation of the Walmart stores for illegal sales of firearms.
Walmart has a history of poor training for their employees concerning the laws involved in firearm sales. As a result they were letting firearms go out the store with out the mandatory waiting period required in this state. There was indication that numerous firearms had gone out the stores without any paperwork being done and they could not account for the missing firearms from their inventory.
In lieu of criminal charges being filed, Walmart agreed to stop selling firearms in CA. The bottom line is if Walmart had invested the time to train their employees on the laws and filling out the required forms, they would never have had this problem and lost the ability of being able to sell firearms and continue to bring in the firearm customers to their stores.

*Paladin*
04-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Idaho Wally-Worlds have long-guns. Even better, Alaska's Wal-Marts have HANDGUNS as well!!!

swheeler
04-07-2011, 11:04 PM
The WalMart that is close to me stopped handling guns about a year and half ago, noticed that they were back handling them and ask the Sporting Goods Mgr ( a friend) what the deal was. Here is what he said" the anti gun store mgr. stopped the handling of the guns and said we will make it up with fishing stuff" Well the main office (takes a long time to notice) called my friend and ask what was the deal? to make a long story short they told the store mgr that the guns would be back bt the middle of March or he would be looking for a job. My friend said the sporting goods lost way over half of there business after the guns were taken out.

The manager must have helped vote Obummer in, I think he needs to look for a job anyways.

Freightman
04-07-2011, 11:31 PM
The manager must have helped vote Obummer in, I think he needs to look for a job anyways.
Obama couldn't get a dog catcher vote here, I vagley remember the last local democrat elected here. Crud Johnson closed our air base because we were 10-1 votes against him in '68 they said he was furious that a Texas city would turn against him. Best thing ever to happen to Amarillo was to close the base.
Wally World had a Stevens 200 I think the designation is in .308 with the bases for $268 and a 243 with a scope for $289.

steg
04-08-2011, 02:22 AM
I picked up a 22 scope for a rifle I'm Putting together at Wally world, I don't think my dealer could have come close to the price, but that and the cheapo shotshells are all I buy at WM, all the other stuff I get at my dealers, even though it may be a little more. Ya ever go up to the counter at WM and have the guy say hello to you by name, and ask about the family, yeah we talk some durring slow times when I'm there, and all this is before he asks what can I do for you today.....................steg

Southern Son
04-08-2011, 05:14 AM
I can remember when I was about 12 (1982) buying air rifle slugs at K-Mart. I can remeber when I was younger enjoying being dragged along shopping with my mum cause she would let me go in and look at the rifles and shotguns at K-Mart. I don't know when they stopped, but it wasn't long after that. Things are a bit different down under.

jameslovesjammie
04-08-2011, 05:32 AM
Our Walmart sells sells guns, ammo, and reloading supplies. At $25 per pound of powder and $35 per thousand primers...they don't get alot of my business. They do have new Marlin 30-30's for $369 though.

41 mag fan
04-08-2011, 06:00 AM
When wally world upgrades their stores they did away with alot of products. One of them being the sporting goods section. Ours upgraded about 2 yrs ago, guns went bye bye. Well we got them in this month now!!
I don't think it's the store mgr who makes these decisions, it's somewhere in the HQ. I hope they fired the person who made the decision to stop carrying guns and the person who designed the new stores.

wch
04-08-2011, 07:24 AM
[B]The store manager at WalMart stores is the FFL licensee, and the manager most certainly can make the decision whether or not to sell firearms in his/her store. B]

firefly1957
04-08-2011, 07:45 AM
There was a article in the paper here in Michigan that many communities would not give a permit to build unless Walmart agreed not to sell firearms I think the story was about Clio Michigan if memory serves correctly. I wish Walmart would expand to reloading equipment and car parts as well.

threett1
04-08-2011, 09:54 AM
My local WM built a Super Center maybe 5 years back. Even being in a rural area they didn't handle guns anymore. Yesterday I had to go in there(I don't enjoy it) and about fell over when I saw the new gun case full of boom sticks. I doubt that they will ever carry reloading supplies though.

gnoahhh
04-08-2011, 10:35 AM
Personally I could care less. The guns, ammo, and hunting gear they carry doesn't interest me in the least. Don't get me started, or I'll rant 'til the cows come home about Wal-mart and their approach to marketing.

04-08-2011, 10:55 AM
" Best thing ever to happen to Amarillo was to close the base."

Did my Basic Training there.

mold maker
04-08-2011, 11:00 AM
Well if ya don't shop at WalMart here, Ya better have deep pockets, and drive a long ways.
No,,, I don't like it, but with $3.69/gal gas, I ain't going out of my way, to avoid spending less, at WalMart. My SS check won't allow me, to bite my nose off, to spite my face.
By the way, the guns are back here also.

Freightman
04-08-2011, 11:31 AM
" Best thing ever to happen to Amarillo was to close the base."

Did my Basic Training there.
The reason I said that was we got out and hustled up some private business and quit depending on the government, seems that when you have a large government payroll you get complacent.
And mold maker is right if you want to pay more good but I can't afford to.

04-08-2011, 12:24 PM
I agree, Freightman. Locally, an Army base was closed and the land turned over to the adjacant cities. In a very short time, commercial enterprise replaced government dependancy and the communities are the better for it -- even with the establishment of a new state university campus -- and new roads have done much to relieve traffic congestion. In fact, 15-years after the base's closure, there is still much private construction under way.

oldhickory
04-08-2011, 04:09 PM
Our Wally-World has only been here a few years and never had real guns until a few weeks ago, (odd considdering our rural area). I ask the sporting goods manager what happened, he just shrugged and smiled, "The old manager finally retired."

About a year ago the old manager got rid of a lot of sewing supplies also, the wife couldn't even buy needles for her Singer machine, (again odd considdering the Amish we have in the area). Maybe the old manager was "helped" into retirement.

JIMinPHX
04-08-2011, 05:05 PM
The only Walmarts that I have ever been to that didn't carry guns were either in NJ or Houston. My local one even has Mini-14s on the shelf. One that I went to in Kentucky had the black powder guns out on the regular shelves where the 12 year olds could reach them.

If it wasn't for the fact that those guys hawk so much stuff from China, & beat up their US vendors so badly, I could actually come to like that place.

Armorer
04-08-2011, 06:31 PM
Our Walmart sells sells guns, ammo, and reloading supplies. At $25 per pound of powder and $35 per thousand primers...they don't get alot of my business.

Those aren't good prices? I can get CCI small pistol primers for just over $30 per K locally. Others are higher. The powders run the gamut from $25 up to nearly $40 for the VV stuff. I can find it cheaper online, but the dang HAZMAT fee ruins it.

Armorer

jameslovesjammie
04-09-2011, 07:54 AM
Those aren't good prices? I can get CCI small pistol primers for just over $30 per K locally. Others are higher. The powders run the gamut from $25 up to nearly $40 for the VV stuff. I can find it cheaper online, but the dang HAZMAT fee ruins it.

Armorer

Not when I can go a block away to Scheels and get the same primers for $25-30/1,000 and powder for $18/lb.

Armorer
04-09-2011, 08:18 AM
Not when I can go a block away to Scheels and get the same primers for $25-30/1,000 and powder for $18/lb.

More power to ya man! I wish I could get those prices here. :drinks:

JIMinPHX
04-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Locally I'm seeing powder for $16-$25/lb depending on what it is & where I buy it. I'm seeing primers for around $35/M with some popping up on sale around $30/M from time to time.

troy_mclure
04-09-2011, 08:43 PM
we have 2 wally worlds in town. one carries no guns or ammo, but tons of fishing supplies(its also in the ghetto) and the other has a very good selection of guns, but just a few lures and hooks.

it tends to work out pretty good.

cajun shooter
04-10-2011, 08:18 AM
Our Wally World still sells guns although they refused sales to anyone during the last few days before Katrina hit. They still have a ammo purchase limit that is crazy. You can't buy more than 4 boxes of any ammo that fits any handguns at one time. That applies to 22's also.

oldfart1956
04-10-2011, 10:48 AM
Guess I'm just lucky. The Chambersburg WM has guns, ammo and reloading supplies! (15mi.) The Garland Groh WM in Hagerstown (11mi.) has a good selection of guns&ammo as well! :) And by the way....the sporting goods managers at both stores know me on sight and do actually talk to me. It's not that I buy a lot, but I take the time to actually...you know..talk to them. They're just folks trying to make a living just like me. And the young lady in the Chambersburg store probably knows more about "stuff" than I do! I still buy at gun shows (a new S&W Bodyguard yesterday) and the local gun shops. All my muzzleloading stuff comes from Ft. Chambers Gun Shop. (20mi.) Audie....the Oldfart..

Charlie Sometimes
04-10-2011, 10:57 AM
I could care less if Wally World carried any firearms or related materials. Their prices aren't good enough for me to give them my business over a local gun shop.
They don't appear to carry very much stuff anyway, and I HATE those seasonal stocking issues. You can't get some things in the "off seasons".

Freightman
04-10-2011, 02:45 PM
Our local gun shops sad to say what few there are are run by crooks and scam artist and are rude. If I am going to be treated like a child and criminal I sure am not going to spend any money there.

mroliver77
04-16-2011, 10:33 AM
Our Wally World just got guns back. According to the one fellow in SG(local police officer) it was the main office and not the manager that took them out. I have been told many times that the manager has little control over what he does or does not stock.
Before Obummer the .22 500 packs were $7.97, now they are $19.97! Glad I stocked up before.
I try to buy from local Mom and Pop businesses but can only stand so much higher prices. I buy most of my essentials there as the few other stores just don't compete price wise.
Jay

WildmanJack
04-18-2011, 07:48 PM
Personally I despise Wal Mart, but .. AGGHHHH I hate that word...But.. occasionally if I don't have time to load up a bunch of .30-06 rounds I'll pick some up at the local Super Store. They don't sell guns but if I drive to the next town ( Arcadia) they have a bunch. I think it depends on the location of the store. Arcadia is pretty much a farming and ranching town, and the demand for guns greater than metropolitan areas. I just need to make more time to reload, that's all !!!!
Jack

Char-Gar
04-21-2011, 12:01 PM
I live in a town of 160,000 people and Walmart carries some ammo but no guns. Academy carries both guns and ammo. Nobody carries reloading equipment and supplies. There is a hardware store 30 miles away that does. However, I just order online.

Back in the great hoarding after Obama's election, I stocked enough powder, primers and gas checks to see me to the grave. I have all the reloading tools and bullet molds anybody would ever need. I have about a ton of WW, but would like a couple of tons more.

Down South
04-21-2011, 12:48 PM
If Sam Walton was still alive, all Wallmarts would still be carrying guns and ammo.

CWME
04-29-2011, 12:08 PM
http://money.msn.com/top-stocks/post.aspx?post=3c5d8650-5f0d-43bc-a625-a7c9713b5d4b