PDA

View Full Version : Modern Bond mold 358 755

Dennis Eugene
04-06-2011, 11:33 PM
Picked up this mold from 280Ackley and what a pleasure he is to deal with. What a nice guy and am I ever glad to have met him here on the board. Man did he sell me a fine old mold it looks to be almost brand new and it must be 65 years old or older, as I believe that Modern Bond went out of business on or around 1950. I ran down to the garage tonight right after work and had time to cast around 70 bullets before dinner. The mold was well oiled in the blocks and cavities as it has obviously been well cared for so I hosed it down with brake clean and wiped it out and allowed it to preheat on and in the pot of lead ans the pot heated up. I cast my first set of two with it and dumped them on the bench not in the water bucket fully expecting them to be rejects. But NO they were all but perfect and every cast after that was a keeper. I never found a reject out of the 70 altho I do need to size them and will look a lil closer while doing that. Here's a pic of the mold and a small pile of water dropped WW's the 3 I weighed came out at 157.2,157.1,and157.2 while they were almost perfectly round with diameter of .3625x.3630 maybe,maybe .36275. I am so happy with this mold before even shooting the bullets from it that maybe I'll marry it. any way here's a pic of the mold it's self [http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-12/79966/100_2120.JPG and here's a pic of the cavities with a bullet still in one cavity http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-12/79966/100_2119.JPG and finally here's a close up of the mold and a couple bullets. http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-12/79966/100_2117.JPG I surehope these babies shoot as good as they look. Dennis

Bret4207
04-07-2011, 06:36 AM
Yes, I have a couple and I really like them. Cramer is just as good or better as is B+M and Yankee made a gorgeous brass mould that casts like a dream.

The lesson is- don't pass up and old "off brand" that is long gone, they may well be treasures.

NHlever
04-07-2011, 06:59 AM
Those boolits, and the mold look just great especially for lower velocity loads. They should be a great small game booloit there on the island too with a good meplat for killing quickly but not too big to do a lot of meat damage.
I'm headed a lot closer to where the sun first hits this country each day than the last areas it sees, but I wish you a great day there with your find!

NoDakJak
04-07-2011, 07:38 AM
I have several Modern Bond molds now and am keeping my eyes open for more. They are great. The only problem that I have encountered with them is that the 90 degree corners in the lube grooves can sometimes make release a little tough. Elmer Keith made note of this in an article many years ago and by golly, 40 years later I found that he was correct.
Neil

scrapcan
04-07-2011, 10:52 AM
Doern bond mould sare very nice, great handles also. When you hold the handled mould you know you have your hands on a well made tool. I had the pleasure last year to get to use 15 moulds of various ages and all the variations of handles for a display for the annual ARTCA show in Denver. It was tough to send those moulds back where they belong, actually some of them ended up being purchsed and now reside at my house.

I also agree on yankee and B&M moulds. Don't pass them up if you can get them for decent prices.