PDA

View Full Version : Need Help - Lead Weight Not Right

Eddie O
04-06-2011, 01:09 AM
Hi names Ed, I'm a first time user here, I'm Retired and a long time Shooter, several years back I took up Reloading and still a Novice in a lot of areas.

I posted the following question on Maryland Shooter and one of the guys suggested that my Reloading Hobby would be better served here. Hate to ask for help right out of the gate, but here goes

Just purchased a Lee 95 Grain Mold for my 9mm Makarov Reloading.

User it for the first time today, using a batch of lead a purchased on Gunbroker, I had been using this Lead for a good while now for .38 SWC with no problem.

However when I weighed the cast Makarov Bullets they came out at 100 Grain not the 95 listed for the Mold? Is this normal, is it a problem or do I just adjust my Powder for the extra 5 Grains of weight?

I use HP 38 for Handgun Loads and I planned to use Lee Alox on the Bullets and a Lee .3 Dipper which should give me around 3.6 Grains of Powder which is the same Starting Dipper/Load recommended by Lee for the 9mm Makarov using a 100 Grain Jacketed Bullet. After that I planned to adjust up or down until they functioned properly in my CZ.

Am I going down a safe road here or is there something I'm missing a more experienced Reloader might pick up?

Thanks,

Eddie O

44MAG#1
04-06-2011, 01:31 AM
Lead varies by composition. Linotype alloy will weigh less than wheelweights by around 6 percent. Tin and lead alloys weigh different too. My Mihec 270 SAA 45 Colt mold throws 280 gr bullets from the alloy I am using even though it is listed as a 270 gr bullet.. I don't worry about it.
Lino bullets weigh 263 or there abouts. Go for it and don't look back.

bumpo628
04-06-2011, 02:07 AM
Be sure to verify the powder throws several times before using the dipper. The charts are not always accurate. Technique has a lot to do with it too. Also, do not scoop. You are supposed to dip the dipper into the powder and let it fall into the cup. That way it will be more consistent.

Eddie O
04-06-2011, 06:02 AM
Be sure to verify the powder throws several times before using the dipper. The charts are not always accurate. Technique has a lot to do with it too. Also, do not scoop. You are supposed to dip the dipper into the powder and let it fall into the cup. That way it will be more consistent.

Thanks, I've been Reloading for two years and never used a Lee Dipper. Thanks for the advice, I"ll see how the Dipper pans out, my Powder measure is set at a perfect setting for my ,38 and I did not want to re-adjust it if at all possible.

I'll make sure to weigh the load the Dipper throws. If it's too light I"ll need to go to my adjustable powder measure anyway'

The Lee Dippers are just too far apart to be usefull anyway.

Thanks,

Eddie O

Bret4207
04-06-2011, 06:51 AM
Welcome Ed. I've used the Lee dippers for 3 decades with complete satisfaction. The key is consistency. I dip from a relatively large powder supply, about a cups worth for handgun loads in the 8-15 gr range, and try to make every dip the same as the one before. I strike the powder off with a business card. You can get very uniform weights this way. Try it and see.

I have both the red and yellow Lee sets and find them very, very useful.

XWrench3
04-06-2011, 07:53 AM
i am going through a similar problem, only the other way around. apparently, lee molds do not drop boolits at (or very close to) their advertised weights. MAYBE, the advertised weight is what the engineers calculate the weight to be, instead of doing a simple cast 10 boolits, weigh and average them. my mold trouble is casting 22 grains light! just for grins, i checked my (lee mold) .358 105g scw boolits. they are dropping @ 108-109 grains. as far as the data goes, i have loaded both my 380acp's, and the 38 special with (i use a RCBS Little Dandy powder meause) with the "00" rotor with hp38 (1.7g), aa#2 (1.8g), and bullseye (1.7g). both guns shoot just fine with that. it cycles the semi auto just fine even with an extreemly light load. you could probably run what you were planing, lead seems to be a little less sensitive, at least that has been my experience. but, i would DEFINITLY WORK UP TO THAT LOAD, just to be safe.

pdawg_shooter
04-06-2011, 08:18 AM
I have a 450gr LYMAN mold (451114) that drops at 430gr with a 50/50 WW/Pure alloy. A Lee 230gr TC mold that drops at 240gr with the same alloy. Not a big deal to me.

44MAG#1
04-06-2011, 08:21 AM
"However when I weighed the cast Makarov Bullets they came out at 100 Grain not the 95 listed for the Mold? Is this normal, is it a problem or do I just adjust my Powder for the extra 5 Grains of weight."

I am probably wrong but I took the question to be about questioning the difference in weight variation from stated weight of the bullet from the mold maker. Then hence the question generated about the powder charge in relation to the discrepacy of the weight variance of the bullet.
If it was about powder and not about weight difference of the bullet I would start low and work up
Buy yourself a scale. Worth the money spent.
If about the weight of the bullet (actual) versus weight stated by manufactuer my first answer applies.

Iron Mike Golf
04-06-2011, 04:18 PM
Lee bullet weights are based on an alloy made of 10 parts pure lead to 1 part pure tin.

You have to check with the mold manufacturer to see what alloy the nominal weight is based on.

I am guessing your alloy has a higher protion of lead in it.

Rocky Raab
04-06-2011, 05:42 PM
I just checked my load notes from 1993. A RN bullet from an RCBS mould was supposed be 100 grains, but dropped at 105 using wheelweight metal. I also used LLA and loaded them over 3.4 W231. Cut-down 9mm cases and WLP primers.

I marked that load as maximum, as it delivered 1121 fps (with an SD of 4!) That's smoking for a Mak.

Eddie O
04-08-2011, 05:33 AM
I just checked my load notes from 1993. A RN bullet from an RCBS mould was supposed be 100 grains, but dropped at 105 using wheelweight metal. I also used LLA and loaded them over 3.4 W231. Cut-down 9mm cases and WLP primers.

I marked that load as maximum, as it delivered 1121 fps (with an SD of 4!) That's smoking for a Mak.

I'll ask a stupid question here, in order to show just how uniformed a Reloader like myself with just two years experience, and no Mentor can be.

Considering your Load notes from 1993 would you consider it safer for me to harden my Lead with a bit of Tin Solder, and cut my original plan of using 3.6 Grains of HP 38 Powder to say 3 Grains for use in the 9mm Makarov Cases trimmed from 9X19 Luger Brass, and to later adjust the Powder Load upward slightly each time until they cycle properly in my CZ? Or perhaps an even lighter starting Powder Load?

I had heard that too small a powder load could also be dangerous, causing a secondary ignition and excessive chamber pressure?

As for the Lead in a Polygonal Barrel I have been getting numerous response at MarylandShooter and other Rings that members have been using Lead Rounds in Polygonal Barrels for years with no problem, as long as the Weapons were cleaned properly. Some say the entire Lead issued was prompted by Glock when they posted a warning about using Lead Rounds in their 9mm Weapons?

Since I'm new, I'll post my disclaimer here. In asking and receiving information regarding Reloading I understand that information received is just opinion and that any action I choose to take or not to take is of my own accord. Additionally I hold harmless anyone offering suggestions or opinions about the Reloading of Firearm Ammunition. This holds true for this Post or any other information I receive in using this Board.

Thanks for all the help,

Ed

Bret4207
04-08-2011, 06:40 AM
Ed, your plan sounds good to me, very conservative approach to things. I wouldn't fret over 5 grs boolit wt. Very, very rarely will you get a boolit dropping from our relatively unknown alloys that is dead on. 5% or so variation I wouldn't sweat. Over that, especially on the heavy side. you need to adjust a bit. The hotter the load, the more important that is.

44man
04-08-2011, 08:26 AM
Bret is right, it is not in the cards to have any boolit come out what the mold said. But lead is so much more forgiving that any small weight change means nothing in the end.
Cast is like a grenade-----CLOSE ENOUGH! :drinks:

shotman
04-08-2011, 08:44 AM
Like bret said 5 to 10% is about norm. Lyman used their No 2 and If you mix your own it can be off.
WWs are not all the same some are harder some are soft Like a Micro they are soft and ones marked MC are about 4 to 5 pt harder so they dont weigh the same in a boolit
wellcome to the forum and overlook the smart mouths

Eddie O
04-08-2011, 07:51 PM
Like bret said 5 to 10% is about norm. Lyman used their No 2 and If you mix your own it can be off.
WWs are not all the same some are harder some are soft Like a Micro they are soft and ones marked MC are about 4 to 5 pt harder so they dont weigh the same in a boolit
wellcome to the forum and overlook the smart mouths

Thanks, Like a Novice in any area I'm used to getting slammed occasionally, I take it as part of the learning process. We all have our strong and weak points, I certainly don't mind when someone tells me I'm going to blow myself up, but when the response gets personal, I agree thats just not Cricket.

From the friendly, knowledgeable responses I have received as a first time user I can see myself becoming a frequent user. After 62 years on this World my skin has toughened up a bit, that said, I cannot agree with you more, no one likes a Smart Mouth, It's unproductive and only serves to alienate people.

I know I need to acclimate myself to the word "boolit" before I get my first slap on the Wrist. LOL

Thanks to all,

Ed

montana_charlie
04-08-2011, 09:29 PM
From the friendly, knowledgeable responses I have received as a first time user ...
You brought that on by the polite way you started out. Your 'apology', "Hate to ask for help right out of the gate, but here goes" wasn't required, but sure showed some class.

I know I need to acclimate myself to the word "boolit" before I get my first slap on the Wrist. LOL
I haven't ...

CM

fatelk
04-08-2011, 09:51 PM
I have the same Lee makarov mold, and mine dropped heavy too; a little over 100 gr. I think. They worked fine, but I also had a Lee 230 gr 6-cavity mold that dropped almost 250 gr, so I took them both to a friend's place and borrowed his milling machine to take a little off the top of each of them. They are right on now, so it was an easy fix. Not that it really needed fixing.

Eddie O
04-08-2011, 11:05 PM
You brought that on by the polite way you started out. Your 'apology', "Hate to ask for help right out of the gate, but here goes" wasn't required, but sure showed some class.

I haven't ...

CM

Thanks Charlie,

Although on different ends of the Country we have at least several things in common. I too am Retired twice, put forty years in. Now just hoping to put at least another good twenty into my last, and best job, Retirement, before I get my final Party.

I'm in the Northeast area of Maryland, a lot of Farm Area and cows around here too. I do a large Garden, some Fruit Trees but no Cows. I'm near Cal Ripkin's Ironbird Stadium, have Season Tickets (The Little League World Series is played there) and about two hours from the Ocean.

Best in the area is Elk Neck State Park a huge Wildlife Preserve with Camping, a well kept Pistol, Rifle, Skeet and Archery Range. 30 minutes from Driveway to Shooting Bench.

It's our rainy season but the temps have been around 70 and the Shooting Benches are covered.

With a C&R FFL and a Wife, also a Shooter you can understand my need to Reload or go broke, beside that I don't trust my Ammunition in the hands of the Government.

Although many Hunting spots in Md., the closest Deer hunting is as close as 45 Min. away on the grounds of the Aberdeen Proving Grounds, they open it up twice a year. Although it seems most of them are in my Garden, but I can't take them, I'm within the no shooting city limits.

The numerous Deer could have something to do with all the corn my Wife puts out for them, she likes them but not on the dinner plate. I've been visiting the Archery Range at Dusk lately. LOL

Hope to talk again,
Ed

1Shirt
04-09-2011, 06:59 PM
Good to have you on board Ed. Ya can learn a lot on this forum!
1shirt!:coffee:

songdog53
04-11-2011, 09:24 AM
Have found the mix i use effects weights molds drop and time i size lube and add GC they come out heavy. As in 44gr Lyman mold will drop a 260 bullet then by time size lube and GC it they wieght in around 270gr. I know lead will add weight but then i just load them to next heavier load.