PDA

View Full Version : zinc and quicksilver

roysha
04-05-2011, 06:01 PM
I am currently reading "A Hunter's Wanderings in Africa" by Frederick C. Selous. At one point he makes the following comment in regard to the projectile he is shooting for elephant hunting;

"However, a four ounce round bullet, hardened with zinc and quicksilver....."

I am assuming he cast his own from raw materials although nowhere, so far, does it specifically state whether he does or whether he uses a purchased projectile. Either way my questions are;
1. How does one harden with zinc since everything I have read on this forum in regard to zinc and lead bullets would indicate a less than desirable end product?
2. If quicksilver refers to mercury, which is the only quicksilver that I am familiar with, how in the world did they, (the bullet maker whoever it was) use it?

Things like this are one of the many reasons I truly enjoy reading the oldtimers.

Oh by the way, anyone with the intestinal fortitude to shoot a 4 ounce ball ahead of a handful of powder, has my undying respect. This is another quote where he is referring to his preferred muzzle loaders, "However they were so light, that when loaded as they were by the hand from a leather bag of powder slung at my side ( I find that an ordinary handful of powder is over twenty drachms), they kicked most frightfully, and in my case the punishment I received from these guns has affected my nerves to such an extent as to have materially influenced my shooting ever since" YA THINK!!!! 1 dram is the same as one drachm avoirdupois which contains 27.34375 grains. You do the math.

runfiverun
04-05-2011, 07:48 PM
zinc is an effective hardener of lead alloys.
about 1.6% is soluble and doesn't affect the alloy.
once you go over about 2% you see the problems associated with zinc such as poor fill out and the oatmeal.
i don't think that the quicksilver he mentions would be mercury it softens lead and is used to pull lead or gold from places you can't normally get it from.

HammerMTB
04-05-2011, 07:54 PM
I just read an article on a 2 ga rifle. That's right, 2 ga, meaning it took 2 balls in the rifle to = 1 pound. An 8 oz round ball.... it hurts to think about it!
The 4 oz round projectile is still gonna give a helluva kick!
The 2 ga was reported to knock 2 people (shooter and a "backer" holding the shooter) to the ground from standing!
Zinc in your lead for casting will give you poor fill-out. Makes for horrible elongated projectiles. I doubt it matters much for a round ball. So what if it's wrinkly? Not perfectly filled out?
The reference to "quicksilver" eludes me. It meant mercury back in those days. It may well be that it was a hardener for lead round balls, but for my part I would not think of it as something to use in cast alloy. But I've learned lots here over the readings, so maybe someone with more metallurgical skill and expertise than I can clarify for us both.
Some sidebar comments: At one time I and a friend made a 1" cannon. We used lead slugs in it. It was fired form the ground, as there was no way we would dream of putting it to a shoulder. It would cut a small sapling right down.
I've been saving my Zn wheelweights, thinking there might come a day when they could be made into zoolits. Some here have already tried it. I don't know that the science is refined yet, but they can be shot.
It'll be interesting to see what comments follow in this thread.

MtGun44
04-06-2011, 12:16 AM
Quicksilver is unambiguously mercury, but I have no idea what he means.

Bill

XWrench3
04-06-2011, 08:15 AM
i am with you guys, quicksilver from everything i have ever known is mercury. how it would be used to "harden" lead may very well died off with that generation of shooters. as for the 2 guage. when i was a boy, we were in Gladwin MI. (the family grave yard is there). we went into the hardware / sporting goods store there, because of the monster gun they had displayed in the front window. it caught out eyes driving by on the road. it was a double barrel 2 guage. the owner said the same thing. no one man could shoot it. it took a second man to stand with his back to yours, pressing his back into yours so it could be shot. i guess that was the only way back then to get a quick ethical kill. but from my modern era standpoint, THOSE GUYS HAD TO BE NUTS!!!

degruix
04-06-2011, 09:38 AM
I seem to remember Phil Sharpe or Earl Narramore mentioning using mercury to alloy with lead for some of their bullets. I know someone in one of the old shooting related books I have read mentioned it. If I remember correctly, in very small amounts it would harden lead, but to much would soften it.

JMtoolman
04-06-2011, 09:50 AM
Quicksilver is mercury, and it was used in this time to make the bullets heaver! After casting the bullets were left in a bath of mercury for a while until they had absorbed as much mecury as they could. It was thought they would penetrate more if they were heavy. The toolman.

Cap'n Morgan
04-06-2011, 12:25 PM
W.G. Greener in his book "The gun; or, A treatise on the various descriptions of small fire-arms" mentions quicksilver being "infused" into lead, making it heavier and more "elastic", as a way to improve shotgun pellets. The idea came from the British gunsmith, Joseph Manton.

mold maker
04-06-2011, 12:48 PM
Whoooowie!!!!! The anti's are afraid of lead, they would have duck fits over mercury.
Of course anyone planing on the need of a 2 gage for dangerous game, wouldn't have any fear of a little mercury.