PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used a Harbor Freight non-contact infrared laser thermometer?

Centaur 1
04-04-2011, 10:53 PM
They just e-mailed me the latest sales flyer and they have this thermometer on sale for $29.99 with the coupon. It's rated up to 968*F, but I'm wondering if it reads molten lead accurately. The coupons were e-mailed so I can send them to anyone who's interested if this thing is any good. They also have a 1/4"drive torque wrench for $12.99, it's the perfect size for working on firearms or mounting scopes.

MtJerry
04-04-2011, 10:59 PM
It will only read surface temps. You need one that will get down into the melt.

steg
04-04-2011, 11:07 PM
Got one of em a couple of years ago, seemed accurate, but I had nothing to test it against, one day my son asked me if I wanted a good one, Ain't sayen where he got from but it was an axpensive one, his company had him order a bunch of em and he ordered an extra, well it turned out they were between 10 and 15 degrees of each other, so I considered that close enough for govt work, LOL, actually I had no faith in it, but I was foooled, I gave the Harbor freight one to a buddy ...steg

BulletFactory
04-04-2011, 11:07 PM
I've heard that the reflective surface will screw with it, but have never tried one.

Kraschenbirn
04-04-2011, 11:11 PM
I've got one I use for checking preheat temps of my moulds; also comes in handy for monitoring temp of my lubrisizer heater. As previously stated, though, it's a no-go for use with a casting pot.

Bill

Centaur 1
04-04-2011, 11:16 PM
I've heard that the reflective surface will screw with it, but have never tried one.

That's what I was worried about, I read somewhere that you may need to float an old copper penny on top of the melt, and check the pennies temp. Not too sure how accurate this method would be.

HARRYMPOPE
04-04-2011, 11:22 PM
not useful on my pot but was OK for the mold temp.A regular 1000deg BBQ thermometer($20) or expensive Lyman thermometer($32) is better(its the same thing,just stamped with a Lyman Logo!!) Or the super expensive RCBS thermometer ($49!)

$19.95 BBQ therm link-

http://www.teltru.com/p-272-big-green-egg-grill-dome-kamado-replacement-thermometer-lt225r-2001000-degrees-f.aspx

HMP

jim147
04-04-2011, 11:35 PM
Doing refrigeration service I carry one in my bag for quick checks. I use a duel K thermocouple unit to read real temps on things.

I never thought about using my temp meter for casting. It is rated at over 2000º. I'll stick a spare thermocouple in the melt next time I'm casting.

jim

303Guy
04-05-2011, 03:32 AM
The emmisivity of lead will totally screw the results. Those things only measure 'black body' temperatures accurately - like a black iron mold. Many multimeters have a temperature scale on them. All one has to do is buy a thermocouple to plug in. Those are quite cheap but would have to be the encased probe type. Just given myself an idea!:roll: :mrgreen:

cajun shooter
04-05-2011, 09:12 AM
They are made to be used in the automotive field and work well in that area. I purchased a automotive electrical package that contained one that was shaped like a timing light. The only reading that I found it of use was testing my brass mold blocks, hot plate surface and of course my engine block. Would not even work when I tried to test the oil for frying my Turkeys. If you float a small piece of wood on top of your lead you will receive a reading that is pretty close when crossed checked with thermometer.

snuffy
04-05-2011, 09:49 AM
My experience is the same as others here, it only reads on dark surfaces. The freshly fluxed surface of lead alloy is too reflective, it will read way low.

For molds, I shoot at the sprue plate which will also give a lower reading. Aluminum molds are also too reflective to give an accurate reading, hence why I use the black sprue plate. Everything is relative, if you jot down the readings, it'll give you something to go on.

HammerMTB
04-05-2011, 10:04 AM
As was said above, it reads most accurately on a non-reflective surface. When we use them for reference, we usually paint the surface to be measured with flat black paint. Obviously, this doesn't work with molten lead.
While I think the best solution by far is a thermocouple for molten lead measurement, an IR thermometer could work. The thing to keep in mind is repeatability. You can't compare your temps to those quoted by others. Readings taken by your IR meter will only be references that can relate to the same conditions (melt surface, mold surface & reflectivity). So regardless of the reading it gives, if you are getting good boolits, and record the readings given by your IR meter at the time, duplicating those will give the same or very similar results again. If you want absolute accuracy, you need something more precise.

DJ1
04-05-2011, 10:21 AM
My recomendation is to pass up this thermomiter and the torqu wrench. Neither will do what you expect them to do.

DJ1

steg
04-05-2011, 02:08 PM
Actually I only use mine for culinary use.........................steg

nouseforaname1246
04-05-2011, 04:54 PM
i got one and it works great for getting the actual temp of the oven when heat treating and the temp of moulds. other than that i really havn't found many practical uses for it.

firefly1957
04-05-2011, 06:03 PM
I see you got a lot of what I was going to say, not good on shiny surface of lead, etc. but it does well for other things like checking temperature of 22 cases in toaster oven. My toaster oven runs hot instead of 450 it is 650 and it does soften brass OK for bullets.
I did like the guys suggestion of using it for cooking I also have a good one and it is within 5 degrees of Harbor Freights.

cbunt1
04-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Have one, use it all the time. As stated, it's not going to read an accurate temperature for your melt.

It will read a higher or lower temperature consistently enough though. It's better than guessing at your melt temps, and no replacement for a thermometer or thermocouple.

I'd hate to do without mine...even though it may not really be "300*" when it reads "300*", it's still cooler than when it reads "500*"...and that's what I use it for...quick checks of stuff its "nice to know" about.

And they have a laser on them...so it's a cool cat toy!

Duckiller
04-06-2011, 11:44 PM
I have no. 94233. -58*F to 1112*F Got it a year or so ago and have not used it much. Tried it today while smelting stick-on weights. First batch without using it I was boiling lead, at least I had hot spots and the burner was roaring. Got low temps when it reflected off shinny spots, higher temps when reflexing off of darker dross. Probably had first batch way too hot. By monitoring with the thermometer I kept the temp below an indicated 700*F. Temps bounce around a bit and shinny spots show low. It is not an extremely expensive, but it does give me a reasonable approximation of how hot the melt is. I may not use it much when casting out of a Lee 20# pot but I will use it when smelting any form of lead. I had not realized how hot themelt was getting.

Shooter6br
04-07-2011, 02:07 AM
I use it to measure the temp of my molds in a homemade warmer box. Tried it around the house , it seems close enought .:groner:

54bore
06-25-2017, 10:14 AM
not useful on my pot but was OK for the mold temp.A regular 1000deg BBQ thermometer($20) or expensive Lyman thermometer($32) is better(its the same thing,just stamped with a Lyman Logo!!) Or the super expensive RCBS thermometer ($49!)

$19.95 BBQ therm link-

http://www.teltru.com/p-272-big-green-egg-grill-dome-kamado-replacement-thermometer-lt225r-2001000-degrees-f.aspx

HMP

Are these BBQ Thermometers holding up good in lead? Probably made by the same outfit that makes the RCBS? LOL, I bout the RCBS last year and will admit its a good thermometer and i got a good deal on mine through rebates, and it was on a closeout in the sporting good store i was in

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-25-2017, 11:20 AM
I got this coupon in a email last week...

On sale for only $5
But coupon expires today.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-25-2017, 11:22 AM
Oh...I just realized this was an old thread...well maybe someone will find this curious :oops:[smilie=b::veryconfu