PDA

View Full Version : Respirator

Hunter
12-07-2006, 10:34 PM
For those of yall that may be concerned about fumes in smelting/casting (such as oil burning off) I found a nice respirator at Home Depot that will filter particals and vapors. It is listed for paint and pesticide sprays/vapors, acidic vapors, asbestos, lead, and mold.
I used mine tonight and it seemed to filter the smoke from oil burning of w-w and wax flux great. With a fan blowing and outside I doubt lead vapors will be a problem but this respirator can't hurt. It was about $40 which I see as cheap insurance.

Phil
12-07-2006, 10:59 PM
I still have an old GI M17 gas mask and it works great. Don't know if you can still get them or what they would even cost if you can. I also have a paint respirator but I think the gas mask filters better. I can smell absolutely nothing when I wear it, not even 28% ammonia.

Cheers,

Phil

Ricochet
12-07-2006, 11:56 PM
I need to get gas masks for the rest of my family, because my flux fumes find their way into the house and annoy them greatly. The prevailing wind comes into my basement where I cast and on through the house.

Where are you getting 28% ammonia? I can't get anything but the weak household stuff locally. I've been thinking about synthesizing it myself.

tomf52
12-08-2006, 10:38 AM
3 M # 8214 disposable respirator at welding supply houses. Last a long time and sell (at least here) for only $6.69.