PDA

View Full Version : Feasible Small Smelt?

GSM
12-07-2006, 05:56 PM
I'd like to get some input from the more experienced here on the list.

Would it be feasible to set up a "small" smelt (40-50 lbs) using an electric hot plate rated at about 1,000 W?

I'm thinking that I could get a dutch oven, raise & support it off of the concrete floor, slip the hot plate under the oven and shim or raise it just enough to contact the oven.

A quick melt is not that big an issue - just need it to melt.

Thanks.

Old Ironsights
12-07-2006, 06:26 PM
Ish.

I tried a 1000 Wat plate, didn't care for it, but I smelt pure lead. Needs more heat. I smelt about 50lb at a time using a cheap propane 1-burner camp stove and a 3 cup (4lb lead) Cast-Iron Lodge sauce pot/ladle.

Hunter
12-07-2006, 10:22 PM
I have had the best luck with a LP burner smelting about 25 pounds of w-w myself.

Bret4207
12-09-2006, 08:15 AM
I use a hot plate, wattage unknown- 1500?-, and a large stainless measuring cup for a pot. Not for smelting, but for casting. Your idea would work, but it'll probably take half to 3/4 hour to melt. If you can help it along with a propane torch it'll go faster. A Coleman type stove, turkey fryer, or bigger hot plate would work "more better" but isn't needed. An old electric stove element with control or a larger wattage hot plate would be better. My wifes blow dryer runs 1500 watts so I'd think a hot plate would be about the same or bigger. Check the archives here for some other ideas.