PDA

View Full Version : Marlin Camp 9

357maximum
12-07-2006, 05:41 AM
An aquiantance of mine has one and i have something of similar value he wants...so what was your impressions/luck/take of one if you ever had one...

I am just thinking it would be a "FUN" gun for banging steel, and such..nothing serious just for "FUN" I have access to a couple of molds i could proably use in it....any experience with cast in one of these critters...would be well listened to...

brass is available by the bucket loads...is my biggest thinkin here...I.E. cheap like me...

Thanks
Michael

NickSS
12-07-2006, 06:00 AM
I have shot the 45 ACP version of that rifle and it was fun. I burned up a couple boxes of cast reloads and did not have a jam. The guy who owned it told me that you had to take it apart and clean it good every so often or it would start to jam.

Shepherd2
12-07-2006, 09:26 AM
I shot my son's 45ACP model and thought it was a great plinker. It is accurate and functioned without a hitch. I'd buy a 9mm or 45ACP, either one, if I run into a good deal.

mike in co
12-07-2006, 11:19 AM
i have one...since the early 90's..it matches my sw59 for mags...

its a blast to shoot...tho i have only used jacketed reloads....

20 rd mags are cheap right now....

Lloyd Smale
12-07-2006, 01:13 PM
great little guns

Scrounger
12-07-2006, 03:14 PM
Crap! You guys done it to me again. I read this thread about the Camp Carbines, went to Auction Arms and bid what I thought was a safe amount on one ($250), and 45 minutes later had a new rifle. It'll be $290 by the time I add shipping and dealer's charges, but still a decent price. I had a 9mm several years ago but never shot it. I also have had 4 or 5 of the .45 ACP models. Shot them, was very happy with them. I chose 9mm today because I have no intention of chasing that brass and reloading it. I couldn't stand to see a .45 ACP case go flying off into the sagebrush... By the way, I found that in shooting semi-autos from the bench, a folded-up shop towel or small piece of canvas laid over the action does a very adequate job of dropping the case right on the bench. First gun I've bought in 4 or 5 months, thought I was cured. Guess I'm terminal.http://http://img1.putfile.com/thumb/12/34014140563.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4196504)

357maximum
12-07-2006, 05:56 PM
[QUOTE=Scrounger;125442][SIZE="3"]Crap! You guys done it to me again. I read this thread about the Camp Carbines, went to Auction Arms and bid what I thought was a safe amount on one ($250), and 45 minutes later had a new rifle. It'll be $290 by the time I add shipping and dealer's charges, but still a decent price.

[smilie=1: Glad I could help...anytime...really...:mrgreen:

Cayoot
12-08-2006, 11:45 AM
I have shot the 45 ACP version of that rifle and it was fun. I burned up a couple boxes of cast reloads and did not have a jam. The guy who owned it told me that you had to take it apart and clean it good every so often or it would start to jam.

I also owned a .45 Camp Carbine. I originally purchased it as a home defense gun, however it proved somewhat unreliable (would stove pipe or jam on feeding now and then), unless I kept it super clean. I decided that I wanted something more trust worthy and sold it last year for $100 more than I paid for it. I think I'll stick to a lever action carbine and a revolver for our home defense guns.

If not used in such a serious role, it would be fine. It was a hoot to shoot.:mrgreen:

357maximum
12-08-2006, 02:40 PM
I also owned a .45 Camp Carbine. I originally purchased it as a home defense gun, however it proved somewhat unreliable (would stove pipe or jam on feeding now and then), unless I kept it super clean. I decided that I wanted something more trust worthy and sold it last year for $100 more than I paid for it. I think I'll stick to a lever action carbine and a revolver for our home defense guns.

If not used in such a serious role, it would be fine. It was a hoot to shoot.:mrgreen:

I would never use it for home defense either...I use a 12 gauge rem 1100 in "just legal" configuration for that...loaded with No 4 lead ...not buck....If the said badguy needs to be shot...I do not want to go through the walls built in the early 1900's and kill one of my dogs...them walls are only made of dried buffalo dung...and they are not thick walls....

i am going to get the camp gun when he returns from his holiday trip...should be a fun "PLAYTOY" I do not want it for nothing else...I do not have many "PLAYTOYS" all my CF irons are for serious stuff, and I think it would be nice to have a semi auto playtoy other than a .22LR...thats my intentions for it...banging at homemade steel plates and gongs....nothing more...a new bolt buffer and good cleaning practices should keep her running, from what I have learned surfing around...

thanks for your input fellas it is highly appreciated..

Michael

nelson133
12-08-2006, 09:56 PM
Just a suggestion, but the Hi-Point 9mm and .40SW carbines are better guns and cheaper too. They are made in Ohio and carry a no questions asked lifetime warranty. I bought a 9mm last year and am really impressed, it is rated for +p+ loads and is more accurate than you'd expect. The drawbaxks are that it only take 10 round mags and the demand is so high the factory can't keep up and the prices are creeping up and they haven't had time to finish getting the .45 in production. You still should be able to find the 9mm for under the $200 level.
Gun Tests Magazine picked it as better than the Beretta Storm.

mike in co
12-08-2006, 11:23 PM
Just a suggestion, but the Hi-Point 9mm and .40SW carbines are better guns and cheaper too. They are made in Ohio and carry a no questions asked lifetime warranty. I bought a 9mm last year and am really impressed, it is rated for +p+ loads and is more accurate than you'd expect. The drawbaxks are that it only take 10 round mags and the demand is so high the factory can't keep up and the prices are creeping up and they haven't had time to finish getting the .45 in production. You still should be able to find the 9mm for under the $200 level.
Gun Tests Magazine picked it as better than the Beretta Storm.

i have had no problems with my camp 9, no experience with the 45. i would not put the marlin camp9 in the same catagory as any hi-point product. sorry but thier stuff is large clumsy and crude. my opinion. i agree it is a great product FOR THE PRICE. you get what you pay for. and me i like the 20 plus round mags i can get for mine....
can you find me a +p+ rating for 9mm?...this is not a wise crack..the last time i looked there was no such thing( there is a +p for 45acp). if someone has published a number i would like to know what it is.
thanks
mike

nelson133
12-09-2006, 10:20 AM
Mike, i'm glad you have had no problems with the Camp 9, however in my limited experience with one and fromwhat other have said to me, it is prone to jamming, especially unless it is kept pristine. The Hi-Point is better IMHO because it just works, clean it, don't clean it, throw it in the back of the truck, it still works. Marlin reportedly quit making these guns even though they were selling because of the reliability problems with it. To me, the pistol carbines are just knock around guns. The Hi-Point fills that role, in my experience, better than the Marlin. No disrespect intended, what works for you, works for you. BTW, if the lines of the Hi-Point offend, ATI make a stock for about $70 that makes it look like a Beretta Storm, or sorta does, and you are still way cheaper than anything else.
The +p+ in this country was primarily sold to law enforcement and is a higher pressue cartridge with the heavier (125 -147 grn) bullet. I don't have the specs on it. I got a bunch of German made stuff in the 125 grain, berdan primee stuff imported as surplus and advertise as +p+.. There are also some European SMG loads that qualify to the point of being dangerous in normal 9mms. The Hi-Point will handle these .

lefty_red
12-09-2006, 11:44 AM
I have owned and shot the Camp9, the Camp45, and the HiPoint 995 and 4095. I still have the 995 and my Mom has claimed the Camp9 for her "barn" gun.

I have had no complaints on any of the MARLINs and HIPOINTs functioning. I sold the Camp45 due to the price of ammo and the bulk and weight.. The 4095 went due to being too heavy and bulky and too much recoil for what it was.

Good carbines in my book.

Lefty

Bubba w/a 45/70
12-10-2006, 09:44 AM
I know these are apples and oranges, but....

I own a .22 mag Marlin (922M, I believe) semi-auto rifle that has pretty much the same operating system as the camp-9/45's, and that thing just keeps on going, no matter how much crap is in the receiver. And being blowback operated, there is a whole bunch in there. Accuracy is darned good with that thing also, actually better than an older .22 Marlin bolt action that I have which is free floated and everything.....

What is the difference between the 22mag and the CF versions of these rifles?? I thought they both worked the same (blowback operation).

Bret4207
12-11-2006, 08:55 AM
Gad but I hate those clown paintings!!!!!!!!!!!!! Give's me the willies!

Kel Tek makes a neat little folding plinker in 9mm, 40, 45 etc. I know guys that have them and swear by them.

There's a Hi Point 45 auto at a local shop with holster and 2 mags. $150.00. I thought about getting it, putting it in a big zip lock and storing it in a locked compartment in my truck so I'd always have a gun around. Darn things is just TOO ugly to show in public. Just can't bring myself to put $150.00 in it.