PDA

View Full Version : Remington 44 mag brass

MarkK
04-03-2011, 10:43 AM
I had some trouble yesterday seating boolits in some (~20%) of my resized Remington 44 mag brass - loose bullets even with a crimp. I've read that the brass can be thinner on Remington. This would be the 3rd reloading - first two were factory laod and the second full magnum load. Don't like it.

Mavrick
04-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Use the Remmys with oversize, cast boolits, and other brands with j-word.
Have fun,
Gene

475BH
04-03-2011, 11:07 AM
I've had the same problem w/ Winchester also.
Although I think Remingtons are a lil worse.

chaos
04-03-2011, 11:18 AM
I have a few winchesters and about 4000 Starlines. Starline is the cheapest brass that you can get new and is the best as far as I am concerned.

Jarel
04-03-2011, 11:32 AM
Are you roll crimping or using a taper crimp? If you use a taper crimp I would try and set up for a tighter taper crimp.

XWrench3
04-03-2011, 11:34 AM
i just last night noticed the same issue. i didn't know it was a problem with remington's brass though. i guess that will be the end of buying remmy brass. i do not have any 44 mag starline brass. but i do have it in other calibers. i agree it is top notch brass. i just hope the company does not find out, and raises the price!

RedHawk357Mag
04-04-2011, 06:04 AM
Of a different note I got several hundred pieces of Remmy 44 Mag brass that blows primers for no apparent reason. Loads no where near max primers just leak. Think they have had their final loading. Maybe they are pass their max amount of reloads but I have several hundred WW brass that have a lot hotter loads more often that keep coming back for more. There is better brass out there.

Shuz
04-04-2011, 09:40 AM
I had some trouble yesterday seating boolits in some (~20%) of my resized Remington 44 mag brass - loose bullets even with a crimp. I've read that the brass can be thinner on Remington. This would be the 3rd reloading - first two were factory laod and the second full magnum load. Don't like it.

You may have an expander that is on the large side therefore opening your brass too much to allow for good tension to hold the boolit. Try a smaller expander and see if your problems go away.
When I went to a smaller expander in my Dillon Square Deal B, all my "boolit pull" from recoil problems in a .44 mag,329 PD went away. I can now use any brand of brass with no problems. YMMV. Good luck!--Shuz

475BH
04-04-2011, 10:31 AM
I've had the same problem w/ Winchester also.
Although I think Remingtons are a lil worse.

Looking through my notes, separating the looser rounds from the tighter rounds. I have had good groups from both if loaded the same.
You might want to separate them and shoot groups w/ each and if the loose ones don't shoot as well, just toss them.
BTW If you live in snake territory, use the loose cases for shot loads (the i.d. doesn't matter on those), they are easy to make. They are fun for throwing up empty pop cans also.

Swede44mag
04-04-2011, 05:23 PM
I bought 200 IMI brass many years ago they loaded fine but most split on the first firing. The gunshop owner said I had loaded them either to hot or to light. I showed him the load data in the manual I bought from him he replaced all the brass.

Most of the brass I use is Winchester but I have some Star and have not had any problems.

cajun shooter
04-05-2011, 09:21 AM
In SASS shooting they have some matches that are called Lost Brass matches. You are not allowed to take the time to pick up your rifle brass. This becomes rather expensive if you are shooting a large caliber and living on a fixed income. I save all my R-P brass for these matches. As has been posted I would also check my expander plug on my die set. You can purchase smaller ones from the maker which will stop your problem or you may use a belt sander to remove some metal fast. Be careful and check as you go.

DJ1
04-05-2011, 10:31 AM
I would agree you need to check your expander and sizing die. Also Starline brass is the best you will find.

DJ1

Gunsmoke4570
04-06-2011, 09:54 AM
I've never loaded J words in my RP brass but haven't had any trouble with 3 different styles of boolits in my brass. I'm using Lyman dies.

BackWoods Billy
04-06-2011, 10:20 AM
I was using a old set of RCBS dies and the expander was way to big.The forcing cone on my SBH cracked and had no idea what was going on.I was using CCI 350 mag primers. I was told by 44man to try CCI 300 primers and get a Hornady Expander Die .429, .430 44Cal. I tell ya,what a big difference it made.I can now see the forcing bands in the brass.They are nice an tight..Got the expander on E-Bay for $25.99 with free shipping. :bigsmyl2: