PDA

View Full Version : Having Fun!!!

texas tenring
12-06-2006, 01:29 AM
I'm a newbie to casting I've been intrested in it for a long time and finally ran across some used Lee molds I thought I could use, also a Lee 10# pot and a old Lyman 45 sizer luber. Just enough to finally get me started. I found this web site doing a search on lead casting and boy has it been a wealth of information. I've been reading post for a couple of months now and learned so much, enough to have a little success. I like to shoot military rifles in our club matches at 100yds., so I wanted a lead cast load that would compete. I started with my Mosin Nagant 91/30 Finn capture (original Russian barrel) strong rifleing but a little pitted. I cast a bunch of Lee 185-312 GC boolits straight WW AC and sized/lubed with the old 45 and a .312 die. When I ordered the sizing die I thought I had to get that size to lube that bullet but it actually sized my boolit slightly less than .312 and the groups were not great about 4" but the chrono indicated 18grs. of 2400 showed the most promise. I have four Mosin's but this one has the tightest bore, it slugs .312. Finally I tried shooting as cast and tumble lubed with Lee LA and results were excellent with several groups 1.5" and less at 100yds from the bench. The boolits droped a little over .312. Here is a photo of the first group after adjusitng sights for this load.
Also I made ingot molds using the angle iron method decribed by other members on this site and they work great!!!
Thanks!!! again to all the posters I'm learning every day on this site and man this is fun!!!!!!!!
Next the K-31, 8mm mauser, 6.5 mauser , 357mag and who knows?

Buckshot
12-06-2006, 02:43 AM
.............Excellent shooting! If that target was at 100 yards you don't have much of anything to complain about :-). I'm working with a couple M91/30's right now and am just getting groups like that at 50 yards.

..............Buckshot

carpetman
12-06-2006, 03:54 AM
Hey Texas tenring---What town? San Angelo here.

DOUBLEJK
12-06-2006, 04:08 AM
Welcome aboard....
Awesome results already....wait till ya start aquirin' molds fer calibers ya don't have.....YET
Then ya know yer really addicted n need the help provided here from other addicts...

texas tenring
12-06-2006, 10:14 AM
carpetman I'm in Plainview but I shoot with the Lubbock Precision Shooting Association at the Rustic range neer Slaton. www.lpsa-tx.org/lpsa/ Match results are posted on the lpsa forum since 5/06. You will notice from the scores and the group sizes there are a lot of accomplished shooters in this area. Nearly everyone shoots handloads and most are J-boolits. Thats why I am so excited about showing them what cast boolits can do. I may give it a try at this weekends match if I'm not pheasant hunting.

Freightman
12-06-2006, 05:28 PM
Come up to Amarillo to our military matches first saturday April- November you will win more than lickley. I haven't been able to shoot this year as I work every saturday, but it is fun.

Bigjohn
12-06-2006, 08:40 PM
Ahh! Fresh meat in the Aslyum. Just wait until the desire to cast for every concievable calibre available (and a few that aren't) overtakes him; then he will be beyond all hope.:-D :-D :-D :-D :twisted:

Welcome texas tenring; I don't think you will be sorry you signed on. Oh! and good shooting BTW, keep it up.

:drinks:

John.

Hunter
12-06-2006, 08:46 PM
Welcome to the forum. I myself have learned right much from these good folks.

Scrounger
12-06-2006, 09:16 PM
Come up to Amarillo to our military matches first saturday April- November you will win more than lickley. I haven't been able to shoot this year as I work every saturday, but it is fun.

Freightman, is it Amarillo where there's a bunch of Cadillacs buried nose down in a big field just outside of town? My nephew passed through there recently and saw them. He told me the story he heard about them. Sounds incredible; what is the truth?

OLPDon
12-06-2006, 10:47 PM
Welcome aboard....
Awesome results already....wait till ya start aquirin' molds fer calibers ya don't have.....YET
Then ya know yer really addicted n need the help provided here from other addicts...
With the latist Group Buy (3 New) will make total of 64 Molds only 1 of those needs something to go with it.
So be advised if you have a adictive personality '' BEWARE''
Don

longhorn
12-06-2006, 11:40 PM
Yep, Scrounger, a group of old Caddies buried nose down at the same angle (as I recall) as the sides of the Great Pyramid (of Cheops? you know, the one in Egypt). The cars are sort of an art installation, a project of a wealthy Amarilloan named Stanley Marsh 3 (not "III" or "the third"--3). Old ranching money, I believe, and much more recently the owner of an Amarillo TV station, among various other larger-than-a-breadbox things. Eccentric? He'd like to be considered so, maybe he really is; I went to a party at Toad Hall (his home) once many years ago, in my footloose and single days--nice place, fascinating stuff everywhere, wild scene; like something from a Fellini movie, Texas style! His little place had 3 little stock tanks, named Matthew, Mark, and Luke; when any smartass visitor asked where John was, Stanley was quick to reply that the damned john was in the house, he had indoor plumbing! "Floating Mesa" is/was another of his art projects-a spectacular visual.

texas tenring
12-08-2006, 10:03 AM

Freightman I don't know about the winning part? but I do like to meet other people interested in the same things I am. Thats why I signed on to this site. How can a person find out more about the Amarillo shoots?:drinks:

Topper
12-10-2006, 04:07 PM
Nice shooting.
Gonna have to try some 2400 oneday.

threett1
12-10-2006, 04:59 PM
Tenring, welcome to the nuthouse. These are great guys with a wealth of knowledge.

rebliss
12-10-2006, 08:49 PM
Hey Tenring--how's the pheasant hunting this year? I've hunted the past two years a little east of Lubbock, and had a lot of fun. I know they had a record pheasant population last year.

I won't get to hunt this year because I've got a newborn in the house. My wife didn't take kindly when I asked her to push the due-date back until after opening weekend for pheasant season!

Welcome to the site!

OLPDon
12-10-2006, 09:45 PM
Tex:
What ever you do don't enter the Group Buy Forum. Its like quick sand, ifen u do enter at your own risk.
Don

texas tenring
12-10-2006, 11:59 PM
Hey Topper I learned about 2400 for cast rifle loads on this site I already had some on hand for my 357mag pistol. This is a great place to learn.

threett1 Thanks! I look forward to the-:drinks:

rebliss I think the pheasant hunting is almost as good this year as last year from everybody I talked to. For me it's been about the same as you, My Buddy had a wedding he had to attend and I have a 2nd yr. College student a 13 yr. old and a 2yr. old. Things havent worked out so far. And I opted to shoot in our club match this Sunday morning. I will post on the military forum in a few days I won the match with cast boolits.:Fire:

Don if I sink in the quick sand I think I'll be in good company:drinks: