PDA

View Full Version : 55 gallon drum "test range"?

NMBillB
04-02-2011, 11:32 AM
I live way out in the county, with my nearest neighbors over 1/4 mile away. I'm going to be working up a number of different loads for my .380, 9mm, and 45. I want to run just a couple of each to start with, to make sure they will function the action and see what the cases look like afterwards.
What I'm thinking of doing is getting a steel, 55 gallon oil drum and filling it 3/4 full of water. I would leave the lid on, put the pistol barrel just inside the 3" or so opening, and fire.
Has anyone done this? Would you suppose it should be safe enough to do this, or recommend against?
Thanks,
Bill

klcarroll
04-02-2011, 11:42 AM
I do the same thing in my shop, except the drum is full of sand.

The only thing wrong with this method of function testing is that with the relatively small volume trapped between your absorbing media and the lid, gas operated weapons will see an artificially elevated gas pressure.

I found that out with a Saiga shotgun I owned: ....Right after I loaded up a bunch of rounds that worked the action just fine, .....but only with the muzzle stuck into the hole in the top of my "Drum Trap"!

Kent

NMBillB
04-02-2011, 02:04 PM
Hmm...hadn't thought of sand. That would probably be a better option. How full do you have yours?
Thanks,
Bill

klcarroll
04-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Well, .....I have mine filled to within about 12" of the lid: .....But I also use it to stop some fast stuff like 5.56mm.

If all you were doing was testing medium power handgun stuff, you wouldn't need that much.

When I assembled my trap, I started by using regular bricks to build a "chimney" that was supported on the O.D. by the Drum I.D. I then filled in the center of the "chimney": ...First with 12" of coarse gravel, and then the rest with plain old builders sand.

The rational was that the bricks would "harden up" the sides of the drum, (...just in case I screwed up and allowed too much "angle") ...and the coarse gravel was down there to help break up any projectiles that made it down that far.

Keeping the sand/gravel mix damp tends to control dust production.

I have been using this setup for over three years with no problems. About nine months ago, I disassembled it to salvage lead; ....And I was pleased to find that none of my lining bricks were even nicked, and there was no indication that any rounds made it to within 10 inches of the bottom. (....And that includes a batch of .308 that my son fired into the trap to function test his FAL.)

Kent

markinalpine
04-02-2011, 03:33 PM
Here's the link to this boards LOOOONG thread Bullet trap ideas for recycling lead
(http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showpost.php?p=294804&postcount=1)
It does wander a bit, and gets off topic, but there are a lot of ideas/designs/suggestions/opinions :groner:
Give it a read,
Mark [smilie=s:

WRideout
04-02-2011, 03:47 PM
Lo these many years ago, I did blood alcohol testing in a crime lab on the Left Coast. Although toxicology was my primary duty I hung out with the firearms guy, and got to play with the gun collection; raised ground off serial numbers, stuff like that.

At any crime lab worth talking about, they recover fired bullets for comparison testing. The long time favorite method is a cotton box. It doesn't have to be all that big; the one we used was about a yard long, and a foot square, made of regular pine lumber, with a hinged lid on top. It can be stuffed with anything fibrous. A rotating bullet catches the fibers, and it will quickly lose energy. The firearms guy said it would handle up to .44 mag, but it did loosen the nails on the box a bit. We also had a water tank type trap that was more substantial. As I recall, it was about fifteen feet high. We would shoot into the top, and remove the bullets from the trap at the bottom, that would allow retrieval without emptying the tank.

Wayne

markinalpine
04-02-2011, 09:42 PM
Here's another interesting article:
Scientific Crime Fighting Before "CSI" (http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammunition/ST_scicrimfight_200901/)
by Allen Jones
I worked in a crime lab for 16 years, long before computers, crime-lab television, and, apparently, a certain level of cool. It started with a short entry in my résumé.

Under "hobbies," I entered "shooting and reloading." I had applied to the Dallas County Crime Lab for a job as a chemistry analyst when my university's funding for geology grad students was abruptly cut off in mid-1971. I planned to work in another field for a year or two and then resume my education.
Petty called in the current firearms examiner, Louie Anderson, and we adjourned to the "firearms lab."

It was a cramped 10-foot square office at one end of a construction trailer, with one desk, a bookshelf, a worktable for the microscope, and a battered bullet recovery box--not exactly what I expected.
I went to the Shooting Times website, and entered the terms "Crime Lab" in their search box. Several suggestions came up, and the article above was on the first page. The author, Allen Jones, has written several articles dealing with his Crime Lab days, as well as articles about ammunition and firearms. Several deal with bullet recovery.

Happy reading,
Mark :coffeecom

nicholst55
04-02-2011, 09:50 PM
According to the Army, 36" (might be 32"; my memory is a bit fuzzy on this) of dry sand will stop .50 M2 Ball ammo. I used to routinely shoot .45 ACP into a 55 gallon drum filled with (dry) sand, and a 3/4" steel plate bolted to the bottom.

JIMinPHX
04-02-2011, 11:31 PM
Here's the link to this boards LOOOONG thread Bullet trap ideas for recycling lead
(http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showpost.php?p=294804&postcount=1)
It does wander a bit, and gets off topic, but there are a lot of ideas/designs/suggestions/opinions :groner:
Give it a read,
Mark [smilie=s:

For some reason, that link didn't work right for me. Here's another one to try -

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=294804#post294804

If you want the cliff's notes version - Page 4 shows some simple trap designs. Page 6 has a list of how deep various calibers penetrated into crumb rubber. Near the bottom of page 19 is a picture of a trap that I made out of a 5-gallon bucket. It was the most cost effective version I made that worked well.

3006guns
04-02-2011, 11:56 PM
How about the old standby......oiled sawdust? With a heavy plate in the bottom of the barrel for safety, of course.

DIRT Farmer
04-02-2011, 11:58 PM
A few of the prisons I delivered to many years ago had a 55 gallon barrel at a 45 degree angle with about 1/3 full of sand. When you arrived at the gate your sidearm was unloaded, then snaped in to the barrel. After proven empty I was then placed in the lock box. I don't know if the traps were ever tested, but knowing my co-workers I'm sure they were.

nicholst55
04-03-2011, 02:38 AM
A few of the prisons I delivered to many years ago had a 55 gallon barrel at a 45 degree angle with about 1/3 full of sand. When you arrived at the gate your sidearm was unloaded, then snaped in to the barrel. After proven empty I was then placed in the lock box. I don't know if the traps were ever tested, but knowing my co-workers I'm sure they were.

That sounds almost exactly like the (old school) Army-standard weapons clearing barrel; they specify a 35-gallon drum, but most are made from a 55-gallon drum. Nowadays they want everyone to buy a COTS (commercial off-the-shelf) version, but they cost over $1K; the fabricated version costs less than $100.

WILCO
04-03-2011, 07:42 AM
After proven empty I was then placed in the lock box.

Sounds like a Houdini trick. [smilie=s:

NMBillB
04-03-2011, 11:04 AM
Thanks for all of the ideas/info guys. The only problem I'm coming up with right now is a drum with a removable lid. All of the ones that I have easy (read "free") access to are just plain ol' oil drums, with 2 openings on top.
I'll be reading up on the bullet traps...I didn't originally read it because I wasn't too interested in recovering lead, just needed a safe place to fire a round into.

Gunfixer
04-03-2011, 11:16 AM
I wasn't too interested in recovering lead, just needed a safe place to fire a round into.[/QUOTE]

[GASP] No recycling?!
Make you a deal. I'll give you a drum, you fill it , then I will exchange it for an empty one. (providing we can get it loaded on yur end)[smilie=1:

jmsj
04-03-2011, 11:19 AM
NMBillB,
Welcome to the sight.
On metal 55 gal drums, Look for the ones that have the lever type banding clamp. They are not too common. I think welding up some type of lid/target holder would be easier/faster if you access to welding equipment.
Since you aren't interested in the recovered lead, just send it up here to northern NM., just kidding.
Welcome and good luck,jmsj

Blammer
04-03-2011, 11:25 AM
find a plastic 55gal drum, fill with sand and shoot into the side of it.

55gal plastic drum $5

dirt, free

I have thousands or rounds fired into the side of mine, works great.

NMBillB
04-03-2011, 11:25 AM
NMBillB,
Welcome to the sight.
On metal 55 gal drums, Look for the ones that have the lever type banding clamp. They are not too common. I think welding up some type of lid/target holder would be easier/faster if you access to welding equipment.
Since you aren't interested in the recovered lead, just send it up here to northern NM., just kidding.
Welcome and good luck,jmsj

Well, just because recovering Pb wasn't my initial plan, doesn't mean I won't do it. :) I just hate having to go buy a drum with a removable lid, when I have one with a solid lid at work that I can have. Hmm...might have to look into cutting the top off and then welding on some sort of latch assy. I just worry about corrupting the strength of the drum by cutting it.

NMBillB
04-03-2011, 11:28 AM
55gal plastic drum $5
dirt, free

My concern here would be safety, i.e. the rounded drum. Although my nearest neigbor is quite a ways off, I do live right on a rural highway that has a fair amount of traffic. I'd hate to have a round get loose on me.

jmsj
04-03-2011, 11:31 AM
NMBillB,
If you cut the center of the top out but leave the rim on the drum and fabricate your new lid/target holder, I don't think you would lose much. Just me thinking out loud.
jmsj

DIRT Farmer
04-03-2011, 03:00 PM
Well considering the deliverys were to a lock box, it woulden't be that difficult to end up in one. Cheers

Blammer
04-03-2011, 03:12 PM
My concern here would be safety, i.e. the rounded drum. Although my nearest neigbor is quite a ways off, I do live right on a rural highway that has a fair amount of traffic. I'd hate to have a round get loose on me.

well if you miss from 4 feet away, yea that's a possibility. Just make sure you don't miss. :)

Nothing I have shot into mine has made it out the other side. Everything from hard cast 44 mag at max vel to 30-06 FMJ AP rounds. Still inside the brl.

but a plastic 55gal drum is easier to saw the top off or put a hole in the top to fill with water or whatever. Plus it won't rust. :)

firefly1957
04-03-2011, 05:03 PM
I am not sure what you are shooting. For pistol without a lot of recoil I used to have a 2 inch pipe buried in the sand in my basement. In use I would put a rag half way down 2 foot pipe and fire into pipe the the purpose of rag was to keep sand form coming back up guns barrel. The barrel of the gun was wrapped with a rag around but not over the muzzle and the shots were fairly well muffled. When I was testing a just made firing pin in a High Standard semi- auto 22 LR it just made a clapaty-clap sound and a few sparks would come out with the ejecting shell. So I wondered just how load a revolver would be? A LOT OF NOISE COMES OUT OF THE CYLINDER GAP EVEN ON A 22 LONG RIFLE. HOLLYWEIRD KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT GUNS. I used this to 45 acp fine but would have to reset rag around slide after every shot the contender in 44 mag damaged the front sight with a mid range load and a 240gr bullet.

JIMinPHX
04-03-2011, 08:47 PM
55gal plastic drum $5

Really? $5? From where?

Johnch
04-03-2011, 09:05 PM
55gal plastic drum $5
Really? $5? From where?

Not $5
But localy I can get them for $10 several places

I use a 3' long piece of 12" dia steel culvert pipe
I got it for free
It sits on the basement floor with 18" of sand in it ( no bottom )

More than enough to stop any pistol ammo I have shot into it
As I have cleaned it a number of times and never had a bullet hit the concrete under the sand

John

NMBillB
04-03-2011, 11:44 PM
This is so great! I was really concerned about it, but now I'm convinced that I'll be doing it very soon. Thanks for all the great ideas.
p.s. JiminPHX, I REALLY like that 5 gallon bucket idea. Not sure yet if I'm gonna go that route or the 55 gallon drum.
As long as it's safe, my wife is all for it...what a gal. :) Of course, she does like shooting the big guns (.44 mag), so both types of traps might be in order. The 5 gal bucket for up to .45 acp and the drum for magnum/rifle rounds.

Blammer
04-04-2011, 12:34 AM
local farmers here have them for sale quite often, it's actually a pay by honor system

you drive up to a lot of 55 gal drums, you drop your $5 in the metal box and you load a drum and drive away.

NMBillB
04-05-2011, 09:47 PM
55gal plastic drum $5
dirt, free

Gent's, I think we have a winner! I will probably still make the 5 gal bucket one too, but I forgot that I already have one of the blue 55 gal plastic drums. Doh!

beagle
04-05-2011, 10:02 PM
Be careful with the sand filled barrels. We had them in VN for test firing our weapons. I had a M1A1 Thompson SMG and one of our gunners just had to fire it. He ripped off a 20 round magazine in it and got a piece back of something back into his hand. Be careful and clean them fairly often (and recover the lead in the process)./beagle

NMBillB
04-08-2011, 10:22 PM
Be careful with the sand filled barrels. We had them in VN for test firing our weapons. I had a M1A1 Thompson SMG and one of our gunners just had to fire it. He ripped off a 20 round magazine in it and got a piece back of something back into his hand. Be careful and clean them fairly often (and recover the lead in the process)./beagle

Will do Beagle, thanks for the heads up, though I kinda doubt I'll be firing any class 3 into it....especially since I don't have any. hmm...not sure if that should be a smiley or a frowny face.

gasboffer
04-09-2011, 09:27 AM
5 gal. plastic pail filled with sand. Cardboard lid. Stand on stool, fire straight down into pail. I've done this for years in my garage. Some day I'll sift the lead out of it. Oh, replace the lid after several hundred rounds.
clyde

Ohio Rusty
04-09-2011, 09:54 AM
If you find a plastic (polyethylene) drum that has the lid moulded to the top, the lid is easily removed with a dremel zip bit that cuts sideways. (Sears - $3.95 for 5)
I put a zip bit in my dremel tool and cut out the tops of several of the white ones to use as rain barrels attached to my downspouts for watering the garden.
I have a couple more in the barn, maybe i'll fill one with water and shoot down into it from the barn to test boolits. Hmmmm ....
Ohio Rusty ><>

NMBillB
04-09-2011, 11:50 AM
You guys are the best! Thanks for all the info...sorry if I brought up an old subject.

doubledown
04-10-2011, 01:30 PM
I'm late to the party, but just wanted to add, I have shot many times into a 5 gallon plastic bucket filled with sand at 30 to 50 yards with my .500 Jeffery with a 600 grain Woodleigh pp leaving the muzzle at 2400+ fps and NEVER had one exit the bucket. (the bucket laying on its side) Solids are a different story they breezed right through as expected. So you would be more than safe with that set up.

NMBillB
04-12-2011, 09:31 AM
NMBillB,
If you cut the center of the top out but leave the rim on the drum and fabricate your new lid/target holder, I don't think you would lose much. Just me thinking out loud.
jmsj

I would agree....thanks for that. Now I just have to find the time for all of my various projects, as well as doing some casting and, who knows, maybe even some loading.

williamwaco
04-14-2011, 10:55 PM
Well, Don't know about drums or buckets or such like.
I do know about sand.

I have fired hundreds - perhaps a thousand bullets of every caliber imaginable into the creek bottom or the creek bank. 100% dry sand.

From .22lr through the .35s to the .44Mag to the .22hornet to .22-250 to .243/.244 to .270 Win to .338-06.

I have never seen a bullet of any caliber penetrate more than 3 to 4 inches of dry sand.

PS: Cast Bullet from .338-06 penetrated 8 Feet ( 12 inches each ) of heavily compressed hay bales.

Centaur 1
04-15-2011, 11:53 AM
At any crime lab worth talking about, they recover fired bullets for comparison testing. The long time favorite method is a cotton box. It doesn't have to be all that big; the one we used was about a yard long, and a foot square, made of regular pine lumber, with a hinged lid on top. It can be stuffed with anything fibrous. A rotating bullet catches the fibers, and it will quickly lose energy. The firearms guy said it would handle up to .44 mag, but it did loosen the nails on the box a bit. Wayne

I wanted to test the function of a new boolit and a new load in my LCP before loading a bunch of them for the range. I stacked a bunch of old textbooks together to stop the boolit, but I wanted to try and quiet the load since I'm in a residential neighborhood. I had a bag of dacron fiberfill that I placed against the books and I put the muzzle against the bag. Just like when you see in the movies where they place a pillow between the gun and the victim to muffle the shot. The boolit never made it through the bag, the fibers actually stopped the boolit. Granted I was only shooting a .380, but how much power would a 9mm have left if it made it through?

williamwaco
04-15-2011, 09:06 PM
duplicate. Please excuse . . .

NMBillB
04-15-2011, 11:04 PM
I wanted to test the function of a new boolit and a new load in my LCP before loading a bunch of them for the range. I stacked a bunch of old textbooks together to stop the boolit, but I wanted to try and quiet the load since I'm in a residential neighborhood. I had a bag of dacron fiberfill that I placed against the books and I put the muzzle against the bag. Just like when you see in the movies where they place a pillow between the gun and the victim to muffle the shot. The boolit never made it through the bag, the fibers actually stopped the boolit. Granted I was only shooting a .380, but how much power would a 9mm have left if it made it through?

Ok, but now the real question...Did it do a good job of muffling the report?