PDA

View Full Version : Utah changes CCL rules

tom threepersons
04-02-2011, 07:39 AM
http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/documents/BCINewsletterApril2011.pdf

Hickory
04-02-2011, 07:48 AM
This change is do to Ohio not wanting Ohioans side stepping
Ohio's CCW law and getting them from other states.

In other words, my state did not want me getting a
CCW in Utah and using it to carry here in Ohio.

imashooter2
04-02-2011, 09:30 AM
Hickory, You can come to AZ, we will be happy to take your money! :bigsmyl2:

Wow! Only $15 to renew . . . how long is the permit good for?

Ours are $60 for 5 years, same to renew for another 5 years, only no more training for the renewal.

[smilie=s:

Utah non resident is good for 5 years, then $15 renewals. That's why I went Utah and not Florida.

imashooter2
04-02-2011, 09:33 AM
This change is do to Ohio not wanting Ohioans side stepping
Ohio's CCW law and getting them from other states.

In other words, my state did not want me getting a
CCW in Utah and using it to carry here in Ohio.

I'm skeptical that Utah changed their laws based on the wants of Ohio.

Here in PA, Philadelphia has passed a law that states only PA permits are valid. It is a clear violation of PA preemption law, but so far no one has been arrested to challenge it.

imashooter2
04-02-2011, 10:15 AM
So is this for PA residents? As in if you're a PA resident you must have a PA CC permit to be valid? But an out of state resident like me can carry there with my AZ permit.

Because they are on our reciprocity list . . .

That's correct. According to Philadelphia's illegal law, if you are a PA resident, you cannot carry on another state's non resident license. Non PA residents can carry as long as they possess a license from a reciprocal state.

Rocky Raab
04-02-2011, 10:18 AM
The real reason Utah changed the law was because they were literally swamped with applications. Utah's CCW is honored in so many places - and is one of very few state that issue them to non-residents - that we were becoming known as a "CCW mill."

blasternank
04-02-2011, 01:50 PM
So this is for new enrollee's correct? All of us from other states like me in TX, I don't have a TX concealed carry but I do have a UT one which is good here. I'll still be fine but those after May 10th will have to have both the state they live in plus the UT one, correct?

imashooter2
04-02-2011, 06:43 PM
The real reason Utah changed the law was because they were literally swamped with applications. Utah's CCW is honored in so many places - and is one of very few state that issue them to non-residents - that we were becoming known as a "CCW mill."

I have had a PA license for more than 20 years and recently picked up the Utah non resident to allow me into Delaware which is only 9 miles from me. I know a lot of other folks were skipping the PA license and going with the Utah non resident to save the PA fee. It does make economic sense (unless you become the test case for Philly's illegal law).

Ohio Rusty
04-02-2011, 08:33 PM
I'm a resident of Ohio. I have both an Ohio CHL and a Penna. CCW license. Some states aren't reciprocal with Ohio, but they are with PA.
Ohio Rusty ><>

imashooter2
04-02-2011, 10:38 PM
If Illinois ever gets CC I'll not pay those ******** a dime for there plastic.
-snip-

Been drinking hard tonight?

rtracy2001
04-02-2011, 10:49 PM
So this is for new enrollee's correct? All of us from other states like me in TX, I don't have a TX concealed carry but I do have a UT one which is good here. I'll still be fine but those after May 10th will have to have both the state they live in plus the UT one, correct?

Renewal applications must comply starting 01/01/12. So If you wish to keep the Utah permit, you need to get a TX permit prior to your next Utah renewal.

tom threepersons
04-02-2011, 11:06 PM
So true you must have a Texas CCL after May to renew your Utah CCL.:(

NSP64
04-02-2011, 11:14 PM
they been selling ccw permits in illinois so if we leave our safe state and go into one of those nasty states we can carry. LOL

blasternank
04-03-2011, 10:37 AM
Renewal applications must comply starting 01/01/12. So If you wish to keep the Utah permit, you need to get a TX permit prior to your next Utah renewal.

Thanks for the clarification. That sucks!! TX permits are kind of expensive!!