PDA

View Full Version : Modified Trapdoor mold..

oldfart1956
04-01-2011, 11:52 PM
Fellers I'm still playing around with this '84 Trapdoor and tonight got to pondering. Lots of folks like the accuracy of the 500gr. slugs. My problem is dealing with the recoil of the heavies. (presently using the .459hb/400gr. Lee) I'm assuming the increase in accuracy is due to the increased length/more bearing surface. Or does the increase in weight contribute more than I think? I actually have a handfull'a 500gr. slugs cast from a Lyman mould but gave up on them on account of the recoil. Even with reduced loads (black powder only) they hurt. Yes....I am a puss. Now my pondering has me ...pondering...what about hollowpointing a 500gr. mould so it drops around 400gr. BUT keeps the longer bearing surface?? Too thin at the nose? I'm just working up loads for chuck hunting this summer so it's not like I need 900yd. accuracy. I'd like to get 200yd. minute-of-groundhog accuracy! :) Well, I'm dropping the trapdoor off at the gunsmith for some trigger-work and going to attempt to make a fibre-optic front sight this weekend. I'll check back as time permits. Thanks in advance. Audie...the Oldfart..

StrawHat
04-02-2011, 06:03 AM
... and going to attempt to make a fibre-optic front sight this weekend. I'll check back as time permits. Thanks in advance. Audie...the Oldfart..

Audie, I personally cringe at the thought of a fiber anything on the old Warhorse. Are the issue sights not working for you?

Doc Highwall
04-02-2011, 10:43 AM
I would try a recoil pad the either attaches to the gun or the kind that you wear on your shoulder to help out. Playing with the LEE 405HB will get it to shoot but will not be as good past 500-600 yards. Unless you are going to shoot longer ranges try tweaking things like seating the bullet out longer or neck sizing only or even no sizing at all. Just be methodical and keep good notes.

missionary5155
04-02-2011, 11:54 AM
Greetings
I have an 84 with a .463+ throat. 500 īs were the only boolits I could get to shoot half good until I realised that a FAT throat was the real problem. Found a 400 (or so) NEI mold years ago that drops a PB boolit at .464 and that shoots fine out to 300 yards (all I have up north there ) as well as my fat 500īs with 2F.
I am a smaller type body (155 pounds) and I found shooting off cross sticks far kinder to my bony body . I also use a folded hand towel for more than 10 rounds of 500 + grainers with any steel butte rifle... especially those thin curved steel types.

oldfart1956
04-02-2011, 09:11 PM
Audie, I personally cringe at the thought of a fiber anything on the old Warhorse. Are the issue sights not working for you?

StrawHat the problem isn't the sights as much as failing eyesight. I'm in love with the Buffington sight. excellent quality and way beyond it's time. As an aside this gun has already been so "bubba'd" I'll not hurt the historical value. It is a fine shooter however. Since the front sights are so easilly removed I could change it back in an instant. I've made a replacement blade a bit higher and flared slightly at the top to which I'll solder a brass tube. Think of the brass innards/refill of an inkpen. A fibre-optic slips inside and shazzam...instant (cheap) front sight! Now, not that I tell everyone this but I actually modified the front sight on my Brown Bess....it to has a fibre-optic. Growing old sucks till ya think of the alternative. Thanks again. Audie..the Oldfart.

oldfart1956
04-02-2011, 09:20 PM
I would try a recoil pad the either attaches to the gun or the kind that you wear on your shoulder to help out. Playing with the LEE 405HB will get it to shoot but will not be as good past 500-600 yards. Unless you are going to shoot longer ranges try tweaking things like seating the bullet out longer or neck sizing only or even no sizing at all. Just be methodical and keep good notes. Doc, I'm currently using a Past Recoil Buffer and a shooting vest with a padded insert. I may yet add in a slip-on recoil pad! I'm good for about 20 rounds then I fall apart. You'd think a two-hunnard-fiddy pound man could handle a bit more than that...eh? I picked up a shooting bi-pod and hope that'll help once I have a load established. As for the sizing....I'm working with neck sizing only and no sizing as well. Bullets are seated out to within .010 of touching the rifeling. Presently the gun is at the 'smith getting the trigger worked on. The pull is over 12lbs. and travel is measured in feet not inches at present! ;) Thanks for all the advice! Audie..the Oldfart..

oldfart1956
04-02-2011, 09:38 PM
Greetings
I have an 84 with a .463+ throat. 500 īs were the only boolits I could get to shoot half good until I realised that a FAT throat was the real problem. Found a 400 (or so) NEI mold years ago that drops a PB boolit at .464 and that shoots fine out to 300 yards (all I have up north there ) as well as my fat 500īs with 2F.
I am a smaller type body (155 pounds) and I found shooting off cross sticks far kinder to my bony body . I also use a folded hand towel for more than 10 rounds of 500 + grainers with any steel butte rifle... especially those thin curved steel types.
Missionary I picked up a bi-pod for offhand work and will agree it makes dealing with recoil much more acceptable! Now just working up a load from the bench. The bore in my '84 is averaging .462 with a few loose spots. Quite suprised to still see some machining marks here and there along its length. The mold is dropping at .462 so I think all is well there. May beagle it up to .464 if need be. As far as range goes the front sights will likely cover a groundhog at 200yds. so I've puddy much set that as a limit. I don't look to get into any competitive shooting. This is just my groundhog gun.....older brother insists I need something that'll reach out a bit farther than my smoothbore muzzleloaders! :) Thanks for taking the time to reply and the good advice. Audie..the Oldfart..

StrawHat
04-03-2011, 06:13 AM
Yeah, I understand about the eyesight thing. I had pictured in my mind a sight similar to those glowing things they put on some of the firearms. Yours sounds "subtle".

As for recoil, bench work accentuates it unless you sre sitting tall and straight. Offhand is a good buffer as is sitting. Sitting with cross sticks allows my body to roll back some during recoil. Of course sitting is a bit of a pain after a while as my legs stiffen and then trying to stand up is fun. I used to carry just shooting stuff when I went shooting, now, reading glasses, water bottle, seat, walking stick... By the time I'm ready to go, I forget where I was going. Like my Pop used to say, "Getting old isn't for sissies."