PDA

View Full Version : When at the range?

Fly
04-01-2011, 12:27 PM
When you guy's are shooting at the range, what
do you swab your bores out with between shots?

I really like butch's but it's to exspensive
for other than final cleaning.

Fly :coffeecom

iron brigade
04-01-2011, 12:35 PM
i use hoppes black powder plus really works great. not sure but think butchs contains amonia and would be bad for the bore.

2muchstuf
04-01-2011, 12:43 PM
I used hoppes till my gun shop stopped carrying it.
Now use TC T17.
It seems to be equally as good to me.

Fly
04-01-2011, 12:47 PM
The Butch's I use is made for black powder, it's not the other stuff.It came with my GPR kit.
It cleans better than anything I have ever used.But I just want something cheap to use
between shots.

I have used just spit, but thats only when I have nothing else.Rember I'm just talking shooting between shots.My final cleaning will be soap & hot water then Butch's & oil.

Fly

iron brigade
04-01-2011, 12:55 PM
right. the hoppes comes in 8,16 and 32 oz bottles. i think the 32 oz is like 18.00. it lasts a long time. i also use it as a patch lube. i guess its called hoppes black powder solve.

04-01-2011, 01:18 PM
moose milk

DIRT Farmer
04-01-2011, 01:42 PM
Moose milk, water, soapywater, Behers solution, but gnerly a bottle of water witrh a few drops of dish soap.

Baron von Trollwhack
04-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Water, patch & jag works fine. Buy caps & flints, not marketing whizzbangs.

Ah! but then it's your money.

BvT

Hanshi
04-01-2011, 06:55 PM
I also use Hoppes #9 Plus BP lube and never have to wipe the bore. I can shoot all afternoon without wiping and the 40th load seats as easily as the 2nd. If for some reason I need to wipe the bore, I use a dry patch or a brush. At home I clean with water.

daddywpb
04-01-2011, 10:24 PM
Plain old rubbing alcohol.

Tammany42
04-02-2011, 07:07 AM
equal parts, rubbing alcohol, Murphy's Oil soap and Hydrogen peroxide.

oil it well at the end of the day the compound generates oxidation, rust

skullmount
04-02-2011, 07:13 AM
Least expensive windshield solvent I can find !

Geraldo
04-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Whatever windshield washer fluid I have on hand for the cars.

northmn
04-02-2011, 12:56 PM
I also use Hoppes #9 Plus BP lube and never have to wipe the bore. I can shoot all afternoon without wiping and the 40th load seats as easily as the 2nd. If for some reason I need to wipe the bore, I use a dry patch or a brush. At home I clean with water.

Probably using a tight enough patch to permit this also. If you are shooting slugs then I suggest that any of the above concoctions will work. A plain water swab followd by a dry swab or two cleans the bore. I have found that some of the general purpose cleaners designed to cut grease also work well, I use some kind of green stuff. But I shoot with grease/wax lubes I use to hunt with. If you are using a lube like Hanshi uses then water works great.

DP

Fly
04-03-2011, 12:29 PM
I went & shot some yesterday.I made up some moose milk as some of you said & I had
some soluble oil for my lathe.I put some cleaning patches & moose milk in a zip lock bag.

I worked very well & is cheap.Any way when I came home & starded to clean her up I
thought I would try the moose milk.After cleaning I wanted to see just how good that stuff really cleans.

So I took some Butches bore shine that will work with the best.Put it on a patch & swabbed
some more.When I pulled that patch out I was amased.It was as clean as when it put it in.

Guy's that stuff plain out works!
Thank's Fly

DIRT Farmer
04-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Muzzle loader shooters are some of the cheapest guys on the range. If they (me to) can find a cleaner that works at 50 cents a gallon, guess which one they buy. There are still some nice guns from 200+ years ago before the mirical cleaners came out.

Slingshot
04-04-2011, 12:12 PM
Excuse the ignorance, what is Moose Milk?

Jeff / Slingshot :popcorn:

northmn
04-04-2011, 02:53 PM

Water soluable machinists oil mixed with water. BP shooters have been using it for a very long time. Works as a patch lube also.

DP

04-04-2011, 03:00 PM
moose milk- An old muzzleloader generic term for any number of combinations of water soluble oil plus water. More elaborate formulas for "moose milk" exist. Mix the two together and the product looks like milk.

I use Ballistol (a water soluble oil) at about 10-20% to water 90-80% (I don't think the exact ratio is very important but more water than oil seems to work well). Some add soap or detergent or Murphy's or whatever (fill in the blank). Shooting supply places like Midway, etc. sell Ballistol. Auto parts and machine supply stores sell water soluble oil.

Longwood
04-04-2011, 03:05 PM
It is animal fat based and will go bad and smell like an outhouse.
Not a major problem with the black powder shooters that have long ago lost their sense of smell.
:bigsmyl2:

Hanshi
04-04-2011, 06:05 PM

[smilie=b: Don't do as I did. I went to get moose milk before fully understanding what it is. All I can say is YOU CAN'T GET MILK FROM THE ONE WITH THE HORNS! :kidding: