PDA

View Full Version : Hunting season's over and no deer again

Maineboy
12-05-2006, 06:22 AM
In my part of Maine, we have a fairly low deer population and no doe permits are issued. I spent a fair amount of time in the woods and saw lots of does and lambs, but only one buck and I blew a shot at it! Still, I had a pretty good time. I hunted primarily with the 35 Whelen I had built last winter, using the 358009M mould so graciously provided by Sundog. I haven't done much load experimentation but the rifle will put 5 of those boolits in 2 inches at 100 yards using 36 grains of IMR 4198, so the miss wasn't the guns fault. I also carried my 45-70 Marlin using the Lee 405 grain hp boolit on occasion. I guess there's always next year...

Bass Ackward
12-05-2006, 06:47 AM
I guess there's always next year...

David,

Next year by golly! By next year you will have everything tweeked just a little tighter and your senses will be a little more on edge.

Maybe .... that Whelen is jinxin ya and ya oughta sell it? Like Al with his 9.3 walking stick. I can talk to plants once in awhile, but I hate taking guns for walks.

Shoulda never moved out of town. :grin:

Ranch Dog
12-05-2006, 08:00 AM
Sorry dude but we all live for the next hunting season!

357maximum
12-05-2006, 08:14 AM
Sorry dude but we all live for the next hunting season!

That is so true it hurts...if it wasn't for shootin,castin,loadin,fishin,shroomin, and workun a man could go nuts waiting...