PDA

View Full Version : Bullet base out of round

jacob7
03-31-2011, 08:17 PM
Guys;
Casted the second time after scrubbing the mould and that did the trick. Thanks. BUT I used the calipers to measue the bullet base size. It measured from .455 to
.462. Is that normal for the base (flat bottom) to be oblong like that? Thanks

03-31-2011, 08:27 PM
It's common, at least with my moulds, but none are more than .001" to .0015" out-of-round and sizing makes them round.

If the mould is new, send it back.

By the way, calipers should not be used to measure boolits. Micrometers are to be used as they are more accurate by a factor of ten...

lylejb
03-31-2011, 08:34 PM
Is that normal for the base (flat bottom) to be oblong like that?

No, .007 is quite a bit out of round.

A little bit I wouldn't worry about, but that's too much IMO

What do the driving bands measure?

If they're round (or much closer) I might wonder if this was a gas check mould that somebody tried to drill out (remove the gas check shank), and didn't get straight.

If they're also out of round, I would look for any debris between the blocks, or alignment pins, not allowing the mould to close all the way.

If none of this applies, you might still get away with this, depending on what you size them down to.

Hope this helps.

jacob7
03-31-2011, 09:35 PM
They are Lyman 457125 DV moulds I just got them brandnew from Midway. I really don't want to size if I don't have to. What does DV mean? Also what micrometer is a good one? Everything seems tight with the blocks. There is the smallest seam aroung the mould tho. How much should there be? Mine is very slight.

03-31-2011, 10:01 PM
With the handles installed, close them and hold the mould up to a strong light...there should not be any light visible between the mould halves. If there is, remove the handles and check the alignment pins for proper mating with their respective holes. Also, try twisting the two halves...there should not be any movement. If there is, a pin, or both of them, are not entering far enough into the hole. If the pins require alignment, a punch of appropriate size and judicious application of a hammer onto it, will get the job done.

epj
03-31-2011, 10:06 PM
.007 is probably too much to size. If you don't find an obvious problem, I'd send them back and get another set.

BulletFactory
03-31-2011, 10:09 PM
I had the same problem with my Lyman. They claim they will fix them if you send them back.

This is why I have an Accurate mold now, not trying to come off wrong, it was simply a better place to spend the very limited funds that I have.

jacob7
03-31-2011, 10:23 PM
they seam tight and no light is seen. I'll give Midway a call tomorrow. Thanks. What micrometer is good?

runfiverun
03-31-2011, 10:53 PM
blade type.
mitoyuko [sp?] are pretty good, but anything that don't rattle when you pick it up is better than a caliper.

BulletFactory
03-31-2011, 11:26 PM
I love my Lyman mic, it has a little ratchet knob that ensures an accurate measurement, and that you wont over stress the tool, or squish the object. Measures i .0001, and was only 28$

303Guy
04-01-2011, 01:08 AM
If you are going to use a caliper, use a digital one. It does require some skill to get accurate measurements but for comparative measuring they are quite accurate. Having said that, I use digital micrometer. Talk about overkill!:mrgreen: